Quantcast Where the Wild Things Are (Opens Oct. 16)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where the Wild Things Are (Opens Oct. 16)

This was one of my favorite books as a kid ... and my nephew loved it as well. I really hope that the movie does such a classic book justice!

Where the Wild things Are Official Site

Yahoo! Movie Site
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a family favourite of ours as well (Have a large print hanging in our family room even) .... From what I've seen in trailers and on line, it looks terrific, and we're really looking forward to seeing it in October! (Added bonus is Arcade Fire contributing to the soundtrack ) .
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I love this book too. But the preview of the movie I saw this weekend at Harry Potter kind of crossed the creepy line for me. I'm not sure that it will agree with me. My daughter wants to see it though.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where the Wild Things Are - disappointing

I went to see Where the Wild Things Are and walked out of there wishing I could get a refund for my ticket. That is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. I went in with an open mind. I had heard it was "dark" but I'd read such good reviews that I thought I'd enjoy it. I was so disappointed. I just didn't get it at all. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the so-called plot. Max was full of uncontrolled anger and so were several of the Wild Things. They enjoyed destroying things and there really didn't seem to be any real resolution to the anger. The director tried to resolve it but I think he missed the mark.
    I'm still at a loss as to who they made the movie for. It is certainly not a children's movie - the PG-13 rating was the rating it needed. It didn't appeal to my 19 year old at all. I don't see tweens liking it either.
    I thought it was just me and the group I was with, but dislike for the movie seemed to be the general reaction of most people that were leaving our theatre.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Maybe I just missed something?
    I really wanted to like the movie but I just didn't get it.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

My eleven year old son saw it on Friday night. He really liked it, but commented on the violence of one part. There was no blood and guts, so it wasn't scary for him. I asked him what the point of the movie is. He thinks it's ultimately about the kid recognizing that he has it pretty good at home.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

DW took DD7 and DS3 to see it yesterday. DW thought it was just okay, DD loved it, and DS ate popcorn and paid no attention to it (which is pretty much what he does at every movie).
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    I went to see Where the Wild Things Are and walked out of there wishing I could get a refund for my ticket. That is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. I went in with an open mind. I had heard it was "dark" but I'd read such good reviews that I thought I'd enjoy it. I was so disappointed. I just didn't get it at all. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the so-called plot. Max was full of uncontrolled anger and so were several of the Wild Things. They enjoyed destroying things and there really didn't seem to be any real resolution to the anger. The director tried to resolve it but I think he missed the mark.
    I'm still at a loss as to who they made the movie for. It is certainly not a children's movie - the PG-13 rating was the rating it needed. It didn't appeal to my 19 year old at all. I don't see tweens liking it either.
    I thought it was just me and the group I was with, but dislike for the movie seemed to be the general reaction of most people that were leaving our theatre.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Maybe I just missed something?
    I really wanted to like the movie but I just didn't get it.

I have seen it and while I did not love it, I certainly had a slightly less disdainful vision of the film than yourself.
    The director who collaborated with the original author on the film was casting a vision. I enjoyed it based on that one principal and found it visualy stimulating and dark. However I did think it was a little to ambitious in the assumption that the common theater guest would understand and appreciate that the Monsters uncontrolled fits of anger related to Max's own life and that the entire 1:30 minutes devoted to the explanation was all you were going to get, the simple message the Max had been acting like a monster.
    I think the target audience for this film is the film snob category. You know the people who love every film the general public hates, and then resurect it as some sort of cult classic.
    The film was not great but not awful. I gave it a 4 out of 10
    Loads of trips since 1974...

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    I think the target audience for this film is the film snob category. You know the people who love every film the general public hates, and then resurect it as some sort of cult classic.
    The film was not great but not awful. I gave it a 4 out of 10

I agree with your "film snob category" theory but I'd give it 1 star out of 10.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree this movie had was artistcally beautiful as far as the imagery. As far as the story line, I was very dissappointed. It could have been done much better. Ds 5 loves this story. I did recognize that max had emotional issues and the monsters represented that, but the story still felt empty. My sons friend was very upset by max biting his mom. The kids said they liked it, but their attitudes said differently. They are usually laughing and playing with their friends afterward, this time they were all kind of down.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: