Quantcast Disney's Test of Centralized FastPass Distribution at Animal Kingdom - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    Once it catches on, there will just be a new place to pick up a fast pass and the mad dash will be given a new route.
    When I was there last week, the centralized machines (at It's Tough To Be A Bug) were not open at park opening. The mad dash was still to Everest.

I like it! I hope it works and they can work out what I think would be minor kinks. Our large group was in Dinoland on Monday and while they rode Dinosaur, I went to get FPs for the Safari. It was so nice to just head right around the corner to the centralized location.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mel

How well publicized was it? It's hard to accurately judge the system until the masses know about it. I remember when Fast pass first started a lot of people were confused by it and thought it cost extra.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Mel

How well publicized was it? It's hard to accurately judge the system until the masses know about it. I remember when Fast pass first started a lot of people were confused by it and thought it cost extra.
    Absolutely not at all! I wouldn't have known to even look for it had I not read about it here at INTERCOT. So you've probably got a point about the 'masses'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I remember when Fast pass first started a lot of people were confused by it and thought it cost extra.
    Actually, a lot of people STILL think it costs extra. Let them continue to think it...leaves more fastpasses for the rest of us.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this info in Intercot but forgot about it. We didn't discover the kiosks until lunch time. I was SO glad I didn't have to trek over to Dinosaur!

You know how sometimes you go to pick up a FP and decide to ride first? Well, this would cut down on that happening. Which brings to mind TSM---this concept would sure help cut down on congestion on that street!
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back and I really liked the centralized Fastpass machines. One morning they weren't opened so I still hat to hurry to Everest.

On another morning, they were open first thing and I got Fastpasses for Everest and got to walk with my family to the regular line. Later in the day we got passes for the safari and Dinosaur. Dinosaur was very convenient because we were on our way to ADR's at Tusker House and we would not have walked all the way to Dinosaur for Fastpasses.

It would be nice to have one set of these in each park to use throughout the day.

Post Thanks / Like

They were testing this while we were there 8/1 through 8/10. It seems like a pretty good idea. However, if I did not turn my head at that exact moment, I would have never known that was there. I was in the mindset to walk over to Everest and that was keeping me occupied. I just happened to turn just as we were passing. At 1st I just assumed it was for ITTBAB, but for whatever reason I looked a little closer and noticed the attraction emblems. I stopped dead and darted in and got our fp's for Everest. Saved me walking over there and back again. Instead, we just walked over to Dinosaur and rode, toured, used the fp's and got more for KS. Worked out for us.
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back......love it, love it, love it! I am the designated Fast Pass runner and I wish that each park had the central distribution.

When we arrived, I grabbed EE from the central spot by Bug and then we walked over and did stand by for EE (10 min). After that we did 2 trips on Rapids (10 min or less each time) then went to Bug. When I came out of Bug, it was time to go to EE, but I was also eligible for more FP. Normally, I would have had to run to Dinosaur for FP, but this time I just grabbed them at Bug and we actually had time to sit down and have a snack.

One other thing - there were several CM's at the central spot handing out FP's for the later showings of Nemo and Lion King - no ticket swipe required. These were being explained as reserved seats and priority seating. We didn't take any because we were leaving the park at 3, but it was a good deal.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillydan View Post
    One other thing - there were several CM's at the central spot handing out FP's for the later showings of Nemo and Lion King - no ticket swipe required. These were being explained as reserved seats and priority seating. We didn't take any because we were leaving the park at 3, but it was a good deal.
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    Have we really become so lazy as a society that walking to the attraction to get a FastPass is that much trouble?
    I wouldn't call people lazy if they don't want to spend time (aka money) walking to an attraction only to find there is a very long wait. It would be nice to know there is X number of minutes for stand-by at an attraction so I can use my fast passes more wisely. I know there are boards that give the times for the top attractions, but by the time you drag yourself across the park, those times may not be accurate.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

The testing will end 8/31. At this time, nothing has been announced about doing this in the future.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Actually, a lot of people STILL think it costs extra. Let them continue to think it...leaves more fastpasses for the rest of us.

I know, I always feel bad when I hear people say this, I want to tell them and yet I don't. Usually I tell them, because my conscience gets me and I worry that maybe this is their first time and that they saved up for some big family vacation and they aren't getting their moneys worth.

Frat boys who loudly yell back and forth to each other, people who smoke in non-designated spots, and people who use flash photography on dark rides can fend for themselves though .

Post Thanks / Like

as ai usually travel alone with 3 young daredevils,i would definitly appreciate the centralized machines and take full advantage.
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    Have we really become so lazy as a society that walking to the attraction to get a FastPass is that much trouble? How about they just issue motorized scooters to everyone and get it over with.

Unless this is some grand plan to get people into shops and restaurants by staging the machines close to these areas.
    NICE! LOL

(We're not far from the motorized scooter. Remember how many there were at MK in the 70's and 80's?...exactly)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyBand1 View Post
    NICE! LOL

(We're not far from the motorized scooter. Remember how many there were at MK in the 70's and 80's?...exactly)
    This idea (everybody being non-mobile) has been briefly explored by Disney in Wall-E. Interesting; someday, with enough "evolution", none of us will be able to walk.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. I don't see how adding centralized fast pass is labeling anyone lazy. First of all, I'm a person that walks 5 miles a day at home.. I also run. I'm not lazy and I think this is a great idea. As the fast pass grabber, I have a lot better things (gift shopping, eating, soaking up the details?) to be doing with my time then running to and from machines to keep my family happy. Especially in Animal Kingdom which is very spread out.

The average family walks around 50- 60 miles on a 6 day trip to WDW. I don't see how setting up fast passes in one spot is going to cause the world to stop walking. If they had of done this in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.. they just didn't have their thing caps on that day. Now, suddenly, someone had a great idea and they are sharing it. I love it.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hmm.. I don't see how adding centralized fast pass is labeling anyone lazy. First of all, I'm a person that walks 5 miles a day at home.. I also run. I'm not lazy and I think this is a great idea. As the fast pass grabber, I have a lot better things (gift shopping, eating, soaking up the details?) to be doing with my time then running to and from machines to keep my family happy. Especially in Animal Kingdom which is very spread out.

The average family walks around 50- 60 miles on a 6 day trip to WDW. I don't see how setting up fast passes in one spot is going to cause the world to stop walking. If they had of done this in the first place, we wouldn't be having this conversation.. they just didn't have their thing caps on that day. Now, suddenly, someone had a great idea and they are sharing it. I love it.
    The fast pass thing isn't to promote laziness...

It is a managment decision for financial purposes...

You know why? Because all their decisions are made for that purpose these days...

I think concentration near the "oasis" is an attempt to boost food and merchandise sales there....

I also think that this is the first step towards "streamlining" the labor and operational cost of fastpass distribution...because that is always the goal.

I would think in the future they will have centralized distribution...especially as almost all new attractions will have fastpass...and they will be able to handle the distribution with cheaper maintenance, staffing costs...

And don't rule out the possibility of paid fastpasses in the future...centralized helps that...as they can just attach a cash register to the kiosks nice and easy if they are in all one spot.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: