Quantcast Disney Cruise - Claustrophobia

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Cruise - Claustrophobia

DD14 and DW are looking at a Disney Cruise rather than our usual WDW trip. Problem is, I am claustrophobic. The flight is bad enough, I am concerned about being on a ship for 7 days..any thoughts/suggestions. thanks
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, having never had a problem with claustrophobia, I'm not sure what you are going through, but I always 'thought' it had to do with small enclosed spaces, and I understand somewhat the plane, but on a big boat? with lots of open space on deck? pools? I think the cabins are somewhat small, again not sure, never been on a cruise, but I would have thought the rest of the trip would be fine. Just my two cents!
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the same thing when I took my first cruise. I was scared to death! I could not stop thinking about what would happen if I had a panic attack out in the middle of the ocean with no where to go!
    It is not bad. The ship is very large. Once you are out on the water it is very relaxing. You will be fine.

If you are very worried ask your family doctor for 2 things:
    1. a low dose of xanax to help if you have a panic attack
    2. patches for motion sickness. If you get sick on your first cruise you will never want to go back.

Have fun!!
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Don't book an inside stateroom. Get an oceanview or preferably a verandah. The ships are very large. Think of them as a floating resort. You will be fine.

I have a fear of heights and usually book a verandah. When I first go out on the verandah I get a little shaky when I look down. The feeling goes away quickly then I am good to go and enjoy the rest of my vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Moving the thread to the Cruise Line forum where you may get more answers from many experienced cruisers....
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered maybe going 3 or 4 nights instead and spending the other 3 or 4 nights in WDW? The first time we cruised, we chose the 3 night because we weren't sure how we'd like being in one space for an extended period. It kind of took some of the stress away, especially knowing that we would be at the park after the cruise.

I would suggest contacting Magical Journeys (their link is on the left hand side of this page). They can price out a number of options for you, which may include getting a larger room with a verandah on the ship and offsetting that cost with a value room for your park stay.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We've taken two 7 day Disney cruises and this fall a 5 day land and 3 day sea package. In the past, I've had boats with seasickness, so I booked floor 1 with a deluxe inside stateroom. Boy, did that help! In your case, a room with a veranda is the way to go. Stepping outside for some fresh air would be a good option.

Yes, the cabins can be tight, I won't lie to you there. And the hallways leading to your room are very narrow. But once you are out and about on the boat, you'll feel like you are in a typical resort/mall.

I like the advice above. Why not start small and do part land/part sea? That way, you'll get the best of both.

My mother suffers from panic attacks and cannot drive to the airport (fear of flying) without breaking into a sweat. Her anxiety attacks have been genetically gifted to my DD (12). Her OCD/anxiety disorder had some issues on the last cruise, but with good doctors and meds, we all did fine.

I think with the support of your docs and family, you'll make the right decision and have a wonderful time.

Good luck and have fun!!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I have a much harder time on planes. Being on the ship is like being at a resort it is so big. I have no problems at all on the ship. If you can take a plane the ship probably won't be a problem for you. I would suggest you get a room with a balconey that way if you start feeling closed in you can go outside. If you don't have a balconey you can always go out to the deck for fresh air.

So little time is spent in your room you probably will be OK.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My husband had some issues with the inside cabin when we went on a cruise with his family a couple years ago. One night he went up on deck fro a few hours in the middle of the night. When we went for our anniversary we got an outside cabin with a huge window. What a difference - He had no issues. Although now he is convinced that he wants a balcony on our next cruise.
    Last edited by WelshieLover; 08-10-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas