Quantcast American Airlines ups its checked bag fees

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Airlines ups its checked bag fees

This is from the American Airlines website:

For customers who purchase domestic Economy Class tickets on or after August 14, 2009, the charge for checking a first or second bag has changed.

The changes apply for travel on American Airlines, America Eagle and AmericanConnection® flights within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Tickets purchased before August 14, 2009: 1st checked bag charge: $15, second checked bag $20. Tickets purchased on or after August 14, 2009: 1st checked bag charge: $25, 2nd checked bag charge: $30.

This means if you are a family of four and are checking one bag per person, it will cost you an extra $100.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It really begins to seem like a hidden charge! Now everyone needs to do lots of extra homework to determine EXACTLY what the airfare really cost!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I booked before the date change. The previous poster is correct that you really do have to do your homework to figure out the extra charges. This just adds more people carrying the small suitcases on the plane making boarding and unboarding that much longer. I have 3 tickets booked and will probably end up carrying on a small suitcase for each seat. Eventually, if everybody does this, there won't be enough room and the airlines will end up having to check the bags anyway because you can't store the suitcase under your seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poohbearkris View Post
    ... Eventually, if everybody does this, there won't be enough room and the airlines will end up having to check the bags anyway because you can't store the suitcase under your seat.
    Or, they will start enforcing that all carry-ons MUST fit under the seat, with the overheads reserved for lightweight personal items (coats, laptops, etc.) as they were originally intended.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Tickets purchased before August 14, 2009: 1st checked bag charge: $15, second checked bag $20. Tickets purchased on or after August 14, 2009: 1st checked bag charge: $25, 2nd checked bag charge: $30.
    [/I]

This means if you are a family of four and are checking one bag per person, it will cost you an extra $100.
    That's an extra $100, EACH WAY. That would add almost 30% to our total travel cost.

Due to the cost of checked baggage, we have decided to use only carry ons. That means that liquid items we would normally check will have to be bought down there, but even with the increased cost of the items at the resort, we figure it's still cheaper than the baggage fees.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

It really does get my goat how the airlines used checked baggage fees as an excuse to offset the price of fuel when oil was $150 a barrel. Now that it is below $70 they increase the fee? Seems just like a plain and simple revenue grab.

Hide the darn fees in the ticket price and don't give me any surprises when I see the final price of my ticket.

Pretty soon the airlines are going to have to enforce the carry on sizes. I see no other way around the delays and arguments that will arise from the increase of carry ons.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Man how long before they try charging for carry-ons too?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I see this kind of thing, the more I LUV SouthWest Airlines!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    when we're flying on our dime that's who we go with almost every time.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    1) Yes, but even SW is now charging for some luggage.
    2) Plus, they have started charging for bag #3.
    3) Won't be long before they charge for bag #2 and bag #1.
    4) It is a case of straight economics.
    5) They are running out of hedges for fuel.
    6) So, they will be close to the same footing as other carriers.
    7) For now, the extra fees are few.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    I think it will be a while before Southwest charges for the 1st or 2nd bag, especially as it heavily used in their advertising and it is working. Yes, they charge for bag #3, but I would think the number of people who check more than 2 bags per person is quite small. I know I have never checked more than 2 bags and neither have my parents, and that includes checking my mother's wheelchair.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Ship your brand of liquid items. It will cost less. Plus no looking for the right sunscreen/hair product that you want.

Personally I like Jet blue...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should start shipping our clothes.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    4) It is a case of straight economics.
    5) They are running out of hedges for fuel.
    6) So, they will be close to the same footing as other carriers.
    7) For now, the extra fees are few.
    I have to totally agree with you on this. Just because SW is advertising no baggage fees, doesn't mean that they won't change that whenever they want. To be honest, I haven't seen one of their commercials claiming no fees in at least 3-4 months. I haven't seen any SW commercials at all in at least a couple months. I also noticed they took the "no fees" statements off of the front page on their site, too. Makes it much easier to start charging fees and not looking like they are going against their word.

I mean, they used to say "No fees. Never have, never will". And now? Charges on the 3rd checked bag (I always had 3 checked bags and never paid anything). When did they start charging $25 for the 3rd bag? We must have stopped flying before that.

From their site:

"Note: Effective June 17, 2009, the charge for checking a third bag or a bag weighing 51-70 pounds will be $50. The charge will apply to Customers who purchased or changed their reservation on or after June 1, 2009. Customers who purchased their reservation before June 1, 2009, will be subject to the $25 charge for checking a third bag or any bag weighing 51-70 pounds."

So, even if you change your ressie after June 1st, you are obligated to pay the higher $50 fee for the 3rd bag.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how it will all play out with Southwest, but I did just see their 'bags fly free' commercial this week. In fact, I've seen it several times (they sponsor several MLB teams and the commercials tend to show up during games).

I know it's possible their policies will change, but I'm hoping the fact that they fill their planes better than most airlines will keep them from lowering their standards and start charging for the 1st or 2nd bag. It's absolutely ridiculous that every airline doesn't include at the very least the first bag for 'free'. How many people fly on a plane and don't check a bag (especially with the limitations for what you can carry on)? Almost none. I guess we'll see if SW keeps us happy! I know American Airlines certainly hasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as somebody with fear of flying, just one more reason to drive when possible. My bags fly free in my car.

Sometimes flying is more of a hassle than driving. My family recently traveled to Chicago from Akron for a wedding. I left my house at 6 a.m. to catch the flight and those family members that drove left at the same time and arrived before we did. Next time I'll drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I have to totally agree with you on this. Just because SW is advertising no baggage fees, doesn't mean that they won't change that whenever they want. To be honest, I haven't seen one of their commercials claiming no fees in at least 3-4 months. I haven't seen any SW commercials at all in at least a couple months. I also noticed they took the "no fees" statements off of the front page on their site, too. Makes it much easier to start charging fees and not looking like they are going against their word.

I mean, they used to say "No fees. Never have, never will". And now? Charges on the 3rd checked bag (I always had 3 checked bags and never paid anything). When did they start charging $25 for the 3rd bag? We must have stopped flying before that.

From their site:

"Note: Effective June 17, 2009, the charge for checking a third bag or a bag weighing 51-70 pounds will be $50. The charge will apply to Customers who purchased or changed their reservation on or after June 1, 2009. Customers who purchased their reservation before June 1, 2009, will be subject to the $25 charge for checking a third bag or any bag weighing 51-70 pounds."

So, even if you change your ressie after June 1st, you are obligated to pay the higher $50 fee for the 3rd bag.
    Well, I am not sure if you are in the Philadelphia television market, but I just saw 2 commercials while watching the Phillies, highlighting that they do not charge for the first 2 bags and commenting on what other airlines charge. These commercials are on all the time here. As I stated before, I really think the number of people who check more than 2 bags per person is very small, so it was a low risk proposition for them to charge for a 3rd bag. None of the other airlines are even close to Southwest in regards in baggage policies.

I just came back from a trip where I flew US Airways (it was a package deal, so I did not have a choice) and because I would have been charged $20 dollars ($15 is I signed up online), I made due with carry-on for my 4 day trip. If US Airways and Southwest are the same base fare (as is usually the case out of Philadelphia to Florida) I am flying Southwest as I do not get slammed with any extra fees.

Could this change? Of course. The other airlines have been charging for over a year, though, and Southwest has not done it yet. If they do change their policy, that won't happen before 2010.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I get Philly stations, but since I don't like baseball and never watch it, and it seems that people are mostly seeing them during baseball shows, that would explain why I'm not seeing them.

I watch Philly news shows, and the Philly affiliate channels from time to time, and like I said, haven't seen a commercial in months.

I also remember seeing a lot of magazine ads in the past, but again, haven't seen one in at least 6 months or so.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: