Quantcast Trip Report for August 13 - 22, 2009. Crowded to say the least.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trip Report for August 13 - 22, 2009. Crowded to say the least.

Just a quick trip report from our trip to the "World". Our past trips to Disney have been in September, but this year we decided to go the first week of Free Dining.

Never again will we go in August. The parks were mobbed. We are the type who get to the gates before the park opens and get everything done before the crowds arrive. Well this year, the crowds were there at park opening. At DHS, the entire mob walked quickly to Toy Story. My son and I ran ahead and got fast passes while my wife and youngest son followed behind several hundred (looked like thousands) of people. After a 10 minute wait for fast passes, the standby was already at 40 minutes. And this was at park opening. Fastpasses were gone by noon.

Just to hit the highlights, we saw Testrack at 180 minutes one day (we never saw it less than 60 minutes), and the majority of rides at the Magic Kingdom were never less than 60 minutes. As an example, we were there at park opening, raced to ride Peter Pan, came back out and the line was already at 30 minutes. There was even a 30 minute wait at Spaceship Earth! In our previous two trips to the World, we have never, ever seen more than a 5 minute wait for that ride.

I don't know the reason, but on several mornings, there were Mears buses that took us to the park instead of the traditional Disney buses. Someone in line wondered if Disney underestimated the crowds and had to get other buses to take people to the park. Those Mears buses were a lot more comfortable than the Disney transportation buses. I could get use to that.

We were able to do everything we wanted to do by using fastpasses and getting there early, but our next trip will definately be in September.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there at the same time as you so I feel your pain completely!! That was by far the worst crowds we've ever seen! BTW - at one point we saw test track at 220 minutes!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that was even possible.....
    1990 & 91 - Off Property
    1992 - Contemporary
    1993 thru 96 - Poly
    2002 & 03 - Poly
    2006 - Poly
    2009 - Pop Century & Grand Floridian

2014 - Beach Club for my daughter's first trip!!

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there the exact same time...and we found that the single rider line is the way to go on Test Track...they really "fast track" you on this ride in that line!! Even the fast pass line was out the door but the Single Rider line never was!!!

Even with the crowds and cloudy weather and rain, we had a great time!!!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

We had originally planned to be at the world last week, but had to postpone a couple of weeks due to my job. Based on your report, I'm glad we weren't able to go then. Sorry it was so crowded for your trip.

Hopefully it won't be too bad in a couple of weeks.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going in 3 days!

We are headed to Disney on Saturday. This report makes me sad for you and for us. We try to arrive super early and maximize fast passes, hopefully it will at least help!

March and 2nd week of May have been my best, least crowded visits!

03/05 Off site
    06/05 All Star Sports
    10/05 PC
    07/06 PO RS
    05/07 PC
    10/07 PC
    04/08 PC
    11/08 PC
    08/09 PC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliMel83 View Post
    We are headed to Disney on Saturday. This report makes me sad for you and for us. We try to arrive super early and maximize fast passes, hopefully it will at least help!

March and 2nd week of May have been my best, least crowded visits!

Alot of school here in the Northeast are just going back this week and next so maybe the crowds will thin out a little more when more kids are back in school.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

I concur. We were there at the same time and we agreed August is out for us from now on. We had a good time but it was a lot more crowded then we anticipated.

My DH thought the food quality had gone down as well. That did not seem to stop him from partaking from the free dining though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'm sorry it was so crowded for you August people. We've given up on August because it's just too hot for us. But crowds were low for us in mid-late August in the past. That's alarming. Must be the dining promotion.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. We were torn between the week you went or the first week in August. We chose the first week in August and all was manageable. I'm so sorry you had those crowds. That can be unbearable combined with the heat.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Been there in August and we have not gone and will not ever go in august ever again. The heat and crowds are just too much. We go every year in november, and it couldn't be a more perfect time to go...great weather and very light crowds.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

wow- that is a crazy amount of time to wait for certain rides. Thnaks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back last night from a 13 day trip (16th thru 28th). I've been to Disney in August about 10 times and I didn't feel it was any more crowded (except for DHS) or hotter than years past. I never saw the wait times anyone is posting here. The longest I saw was 90 mins for Soarin. Toy Story Mania had a 60 minute window where it was virtually shoutdown due to a mechanical malfunction on Thursday that pushed the times to 80 mins, but I think they weren't letting anyone into the Standby line. This past Tuesday we were at MK for rope drop and we did Philharmagic, Peter Pan (FP), Snow White, Pooh, Tea Cups, Small World, and the Carousel in a total time of 90 mins. It was not that crowded.

Of course I wasn't in the parks from the opening minute to the closing minute, but I think there is some exaggeraton here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the crowds but thanks for sharing, We are in Disney right now and it's empty. We arrived yesterday and went to the MK last night and tonight for EMHs. We walkied right onto everything. I can't believe it's so empty.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

We arrived on the 18th and we did find it to be rather more crowded than we would like. However, we were expecting the crowds to be up based on time of year as well as the free dining offer. Still, we found it possible to do most of what we wanted (We did miss a couple of things like Toy Story Mania) and found that many rides had short waits or were walk-ons!

Sorry you didn't enjoy it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the crowds. Makes me so glad I planned my next visit for early October. Glad you had a great time anyway.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR