Quantcast Backpacks, Purses, and Fanny Packs...yes I said fanny packs.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Backpacks, Purses, and Fanny Packs...yes I said fanny packs.

Hey yall,

During our last trip I carried a backpack with mini umbrellas, cameras, etc. etc. etc. and it was kind of a pain. I felt like a mule.

I was just wondering what you feel is necessary to bring into the parks and how do you carry most of it?

I've also read up on the locker thing but I figure if that stuff is going to be stashed away all day I might as well leave it at the resort.

What do you think???

-------------------------------------------------------
    Nov 16 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Sep 09 - POFQ
    Sep 06 - WL
    Apr 89 - GF
    Apr 87 - Off-site
    Apr 86 - Off-site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry a tiny little bag called Purse Pluse from Charm 14. It's big enough to carry some money, the necessary cards, a chapstick, a mini-compact, a bottle of Motrin, and my camera. It comes with a long strap to wear cross-body or around the waist as a "fanny pack" or a short strap to carry it as a wristlet or loop around a belt loop. Our ponchos are the cheap ones from the dollar store and are carried in our pockets in zip top baggies.

BTW, the rule of thumb in my family is this: if you want it, you carry it. My daughters are 9 and 14 and carry their own stuff.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I bring very little into the parks.

I use a child's plush Stitch backpack all the time. He's so cute, and holds just enough with a little room to spare. I carry my AP, room key, a couple credit/debit cards, lip gloss, compact, a few bandaids, and a small antibac bottle. That's all I need.

DH sometimes carries a very small, compact camera case that holds our P&S digital camera and our HD camcorder. Now that we just got a new Leica D-LUX4 that takes HD video and awesome stills, many days we'll probably only need that in it's super small case (has a strap).

We like to tour the parks light. I don't lug water bottles and stuff like that. If we get thirsty, we buy a drink. If we get hungry, we buy food. I refuse to carry that stuff around with me.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I carry a small cross body bag. It's large enough to hold money, credit cards, sunglasses,eye glasses, camera, cell phone. I hang our umbrellas (one on each side) from the purse strap.

Post Thanks / Like

I carry a small Vera Bradley hipster that fits across the body. Then we always have a tote bag that we rotate through the crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

I admit to donning a fannypack at the parks. It's better for my back than carrying anything over the shoulders. It's never cumbersome. It usually contains a thin billfold with room keys, debit card, IDs, cash, chapstick, mini brush and a few scuncis, cellphone, small thing of hand sanitizer, daughter's autograph book with giant chubby pen for character sightings plus a little coin bag filled with quarters and pennies ready to be squished. I slide my camera's case loop onto the packs straps so I can pull the snappy cam out of it's holster at a moments notice. There is also space for our folded up cheapy little rain ponchos should we need them. I call it my Disney Commando Utility Belt.

This year I'll be adding a lanyard with pins to my super geeky fashion ensemble. I hope my husband is still willing to stand near me in lines.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

We always carry the sinch (sp?) sack, nylon, back pack deals. We carry an extra pair of socks each, the camera, cheap ponchos, money & cc's, travel size sunscreen, water bottle, maps,.. sometimes snacks... all in Gallon size Ziplocs for water protection. We like these as we can just loop the back pack strap around our legs on rides. The only pain is when you need to get something out of the pack in a hurry, you have to remove it or have somebody lift and manuever the bag so they can loosen the opening enough to get inside. So when we're walking around I sometimes hold the camera. Not missing a moment!

This year will be our first year with baby and I'm planning on keeping 5 or so diapers, and a small travel pack of diapers, a lil bikini, oh and the sippy cup in the bag. But we're also going to use two bags this year...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff so far. Keep the suggestions coming.

I totally dig the "utility belt" reference. If Batman can wear one so can I. Besides, I just turned 30, I think I've crossed into the realm of fanny-pack acceptability.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Nov 16 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Sep 09 - POFQ
    Sep 06 - WL
    Apr 89 - GF
    Apr 87 - Off-site
    Apr 86 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I for one...have a very stylish "waist pack" as I like to call it. It has nothing to do with my fanny or anyone elses!!

Its a gucci...and i bought it off ebay!! It has enough room for my phone (which i use as a camera), lipstick, ccards and a few other items.

DH wears cargo shorts and carries any kid incidentals, like the sunglasses they wont wear after 10 minutes in the park
    FT Wilderness every year since 1976..TRIPS IN 2010....Princess Marathon March10 (Contemporary),Easter 2010 (AKL), Memorial Day Weekend 2010 (FW Cabins), June 2010 (Wliderness Lodge), Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Sept 10 (DGC), Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon Oct 2010 (WL)

Post Thanks / Like

I do the fanny pack and the cinch/drawstring bag. Major fashionista!

The fanny pack is for my small wallet, cell phone, KTTW, FP's, quarters and new pennies, drink mix stix (I learned the hard way - always keep them in a snack-sized baggie!), small notepad (for the day's ADR confirm #s) and pen. The smooshy pack is for our water bottles (I only carry them empty - drink up it!), camera, ponchos, park maps, and snacks.

Post Thanks / Like

I used my Mickey purse that I got at WDW last trip. I also used a waist/fanny pack in the past.

Now I am using a back pack on a rolling walker. Between the back pack and the storage under the seat we are good to go.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
    I do the fanny pack and the cinch/drawstring bag. Major fashionista!

The fanny pack is for my small wallet, cell phone, KTTW, FP's, quarters and new pennies, drink mix stix (I learned the hard way - always keep them in a snack-sized baggie!), small notepad (for the day's ADR confirm #s) and pen. The smooshy pack is for our water bottles (I only carry them empty - drink up it!), camera, ponchos, park maps, and snacks.
    I see so many of the drawstring bags in the park. Are the "strings" comfortable? I have wondered if they dig into your shoulders...

I use a medium size cross body bag that holds a small wallet, camera, etc. The trouble is, I am usually the only one carrying a bag and I inherit stuff from others in my group.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the string one, they do dig into your shoulders. I have a Mickey one that has wider straps and an outside pocket. It's much better. I also have Mickey fanny packs that I've used as well. I bring water into the parks so the back pack usually works better. And it gets lighter during the day as I drink the water.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Vera Bradley mini hipster for me too....and if I need to take ponchos I do the Vera Bradley back sack...
    4/83 - off site
    4/84 - off site
    9/88 - Disney Inn - Honeymoon!
    4/98 - CBR
    5/00 - POR
    5/03 - POR
    5/05 - POR
    5/06 - SSR
    11/06 - SSR
    5/07 - SSR
    7/07 - OKW
    5/08 - SSR
    12/08 - SSR
    9/09 - SSR
    11/09 - SSR
    7/10 - POP
    7/11 - SSR
    2/12 - BW
    5/13 - BW
    9/13 - BW
    5/14 - OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-kids I did the drawstring backpack. Loved it but getting things out quickly was not easy.

On trips to WDW or DLR since having kids, I use a small tote bag for water bottles, diapers, wipes, etc. and throw that into our stroller's basket. There's nothing of value in there so I can leave it when we go to shows or rides.

I then carry a small-cross body bag that is big enough to carry my digital camera, cell phone or walkie-talkie, money/cards and lipstick.

Avon has a really cute one that I just ordered.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a small purse that I can carry on my shoulder or accross my body it has pockets for everthing phone, camera, id cards tickets, chapstick and whatever makeup I might want, 2 seperate change areas one for quarters and pressed pennies, and one for other change. the middle is big enough for brush, maps, ziplock of wet wipes, hand sanitizer and autograph book and pen. We also carry a backpack that dh will carry.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a small Vera Bradley cinch style back pack. I carry very few items usually a camera, ponchos, motrin, and bandaids. As long as you keep it light it is very comfortable. Also we each wear a disney pin lanyard with a small pouch attached that we put out KTTW cards, FP's, and credit card. They are very handy. I used to make my husband wear a fanny pack ( a.k.a. "the man purse") but he felt like such a nerd I felt sorry for him and got the backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyNix View Post
    Besides, I just turned 30, I think I've crossed into the realm of fanny-pack acceptability.

They're not for me, but I'm trying to learn to be more open-minded. Individual thing, really, and I imagine the freedom is nice.
    I've learned less is more in the parks. A small backpack with thin straps works well. Has to have lots of pockets so I don't have to dig around in the bag.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I carry what I call my "faux Buxton" (if you've seen the TV commercials you know what I'm talking about). I got it from Lillian Vernon and it holds a lot, but not everything (I'll get to "everything" in a sec).

DH bought himself a really spiffy backpack last year for our Disney trip...but I swear the thing weighs at least 3 pounds empty! Haven't decided if we're taking it again this year.

What we take: autograph book and "clicky" Sharpie marker, sunscreen, maybe bug spray, ponchos (disposables), sweatshirt for DD if we have an ADR somewhere, pin lanyard, water bottles, my usual purse stuff--money, chapstick, eye drops, etc,...I'm sure there's more stuff. I just bought a small spray bottle that we can fill and use to mist ourselves when we get hot.

Most of that could fit into my purse, I suppose...oh, and my camera, which I usually just wear on my shoulder so it's always at the ready.

I would love to be one of those people who gets to bypass the bags line, but I don't see how that could ever happen.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to add that the best thing about a fanny pack....er my Disney Commando Utility Belt vs. a backpack is I get on rides without having to remove anything from my person and get off rides without having to remember to scoop a bag up. Just sayin'.

Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: