Quantcast Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    Hate to say it, but I agree with almost everything you said.
    Odd, me too, agreeing with Lockedoutlogic...

My one comment would be that there is room in DHS for a small attraction, maybe to take over the "Prince Caspian" area, that highlights the Marvel 'product.' Even so, it will probably be years before anything is hashed out.
    Forget it, don't even bother. I just can't see ANY Marvel based attractions on the horizon, at least not for now.

As stated by someone else, I think this is Disney's answer to the younger boys and Disney XD. Perhaps we'll see some new content for TV and maybe even movies, but I sincerely doubt we'll see anything in the parks for years, if ever.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mouse 2 You View Post
    I can't believe Universal would level Spiderman, though... it's still far too new a "dark ride" concept. If Universal Studios can turn "Back to the Future" into "The Simpsons", they should be able to remake "Spiderman" into something that still takes advantage of the technology. Maybe something based on their "Heroes" TV series.
    I agree, Universal won't level Spiderman (or any of the other rides in that area), it's the most popular ride in Florida. When the time comes they will retheme it, that's not a big deal. This may turn out to be a good thing for Universal as well. This would mean that whole section would be redone. I don't think the Marvel "characters" are the draw there, it's the attractions more so. Most of the attractions like the Hulk, Barges and Fall can stay intact with a new theme.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Most of the attractions like the Hulk, Barges and Fall can stay intact with a new theme.
    Um...the barges are Popeye themed. Popeye is not Marvel, he's King Features Syndicate which isn't affected by this deal at all.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Um...the barges are Popeye themed. Popeye is not Marvel, he's King Features Syndicate which isn't affected by this deal at all.
    And, for the record, it won't force them to re-theme Dudley Do-Right's Rip-Saw Falls either.

I love that ride. As long as IOA has that and the Seuss area, it will be worth a visit from me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too would prefer not to see Spiderman hanging out with Cinderella in Fantasyland.

And personally the superhero stuff is lost on me, but my DS5 loves it.

But, I do think it's kind of cool. I always feel guilty when I buy Marvel stuff for my son. I feel like I should be buying him Disney stuff instead. Seriously, I'll stand in Target and debate with myself for 10 minutes.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Eh ... not a huge fan of this deal. Seems ... stupid ...
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I am not a big comic book fan. But, I can see the marketing aspect of acquiring Marvel. I have daughters who LOVE the princesses. We have to dress up,go to character dinners in the castle, etc. whenever we visit. Besides pirates and the occassional Power Ranger show, there isn't nearly as much for my boys. I think that if the Marvel characters are integrated slowly at HS, it will be a big draw for boys.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is a MONEY deal for the Walt Disney Company. I do not think they are intending to merge the Marvel universe into the Land of Magic.

Universal is paying big money for the liscensing (sp) deal. Disney knows this. They can make money by doing NOTHING other than renewing the deal. Why spend tons of money building new Marvel attractions when selling their use to NBC-Universal? The merchandise that Universal sells alone is going to make this a good deal for WDC.

I think Marvel is going to operate as a separate entity, much as ESPN, ABC, Miramax and a lot of other obscure Disney companies do. If Marvel can continue to make money, which I think it will, WDC would have made a great aquisition.

Maybe, someday, when Universal wants out of the deal the Marvel characters will appear in a Disney park. But I do not think Universal wants out just yet.
    Well, now I have to figure out how to take kids to WDW. Shouldn't be a problem...

Next trip Fall 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Speculation is what we all do best on this board but none of us has any idea what is in store for this franchise. Someone mentioned earlier that Disney doesn't even know how to properly capitalize on the Muppets, so who knows what will happen with Marvel. I am a Marvel fan however, and I'm intrigued to see what the future may hold. For all of those saying that they don't see how the worlds would mix and that they don't want their princesses cohabitating with super heroes, I say: "Really?" I mean, MGM/DHS in particular has always had plenty characters/attractions that did not have direct Disney roots... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers meet and greets... The Lucas stuff... Aerosmith... Drew Carey. I don't see it all that far fetched for a super hero meet and greet in the Streets of America to take place or a stunt show with super heroes. It's not like Spiderman is going to be scaling Cinderella Castle, or having to rescue Snow White from Doctor Octopus, sheesh!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Someone mentioned earlier that Disney doesn't even know how to properly capitalize on the Muppets, so who knows what will happen with Marvel.
    I think this is a really poor comparison. Outside of Sesame Street, the Muppets aren't exactly at their height of popularity with kids these days. Marvel Super Heroes, on the other hand, are. Although, as I said before, I doubt we'll ever see their integration into the park. It would seem far too forced, especially with the general public associating Marvel with Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    I think this is a really poor comparison. Outside of Sesame Street, the Muppets aren't exactly at their height of popularity with kids these days. Marvel Super Heroes, on the other hand, are. Although, as I said before, I doubt we'll ever see their integration into the park. It would seem far too forced, especially with the general public associating Marvel with Universal.
    The Muppets aren't at the height of popularity because of Disney, that is my point. I am 23 and all my friends fondly remember growing up watching Muppet reruns, and the newer Muppet movies (Christmas Carol, Treasure Island). I was 9 when I first went to Disney and Muppet 3D was the first ride I wanted to go on! But with Henson's death and the company changing hands a few times they began to fade away from the forefront. I think this is actually a good comparison because by the time all of the licensing deals expires it could very well be 10 years down the road and Disney would need to rebrand the Marvel characters for Disney parks (If that's the route they go down, none of us can say for sure yet). Anyway, again, I don't see how it would be any more forced than any of the other non-"Disney" characters that have appeared in the parks over the years.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Eh ... not a huge fan of this deal. Seems ... stupid ...
    Can't see how you came to that conclusion.

Control the kid market, control the tween/teen market along with a large number of adults that grow up loving it as it turns into movies. Instant programming. Big back catalog. Tons of future movie potential. It's the antethsis of princesses.... much better than the Power Rangers. It doesn't really stray from Disney's core business - after all it's all comic/animation based.

Plus you collect on licensing from your rival themepark in orlando...

Seems like a perfect match to me.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I can't wait to see how this is going to play out in the parks. I just can NOT see the Hulk and Mickey Mouse together, Yuck!
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Can't see how you came to that conclusion.

Control the kid market, control the tween/teen market along with a large number of adults that grow up loving it as it turns into movies. Instant programming. Big back catalog. Tons of future movie potential. It's the antethsis of princesses.... much better than the Power Rangers. It doesn't really stray from Disney's core business - after all it's all comic/animation based.

Plus you collect on licensing from your rival themepark in orlando...

Seems like a perfect match to me.
    Maybe stupid wasn't the right word choice ... how about "depressing" or "disappointing."

The notion that the "best in class family entertainment company" was so desperate to find properties to market to buys that they had to spend $4 billion to acquire someone else's ideas is a little frustrating to me.

I can think of so many ways I'd rather see them spend that money.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    It's not like Spiderman is going to be scaling Cinderella Castle, or having to rescue Snow White from Doctor Octopus, sheesh!
    But wouldn't that be sooooo cool? I could see Spidey hanging from the side of the Castle!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Maybe stupid wasn't the right word choice ... how about "depressing" or "disappointing."

The notion that the "best in class family entertainment company" was so desperate to find properties to market to buys that they had to spend $4 billion to acquire someone else's ideas is a little frustrating to me.

I can think of so many ways I'd rather see them spend that money.
    Maybe its the amount of money that's bothering you, because think about it, several of Disney's biggest characters are aquired characters. Pooh, is the biggest, but think about it, they didn't come up with Pinnochio, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Cinderella, and many more. They built empires around them. It will be interesting to see what Disney does with the Marvel universe.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Maybe its the amount of money that's bothering you, because think about it, several of Disney's biggest characters are aquired characters. Pooh, is the biggest, but think about it, they didn't come up with Pinnochio, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Cinderella, and many more. They built empires around them. It will be interesting to see what Disney does with the Marvel universe.
    Well, people forget many things. What you stated above is a good example. Another example is when people complain about too many Pixar characters in the parks or having the theme each ride to a particular movie or character. Walt Disney did everything people complain about the Disney Company doing now.

He purchased the license for different books (Winnie the Pooh, Marry Poppins, Song of the South), and he adapted fairy tales. He also made sure there was a synergy between what his studio was producing and what was in the parks.

Sleeping Beauty Castle was supposed to be Snow White Castle but it was changed during the building of the park to tie it in with the next animated feature, Sleeping Beauty.

Who knows what is next in store for Disney now that they have acquired Marvel. It could be as little as movies, TV shows, and small area in DHS for those characters. It could also mean when the licensing deal with Universal is over, a fifth gate could be added to WDW to accommodate the Marvel Character. More than likely it would be something in between but in any case, this is a good move for Disney and a good move for Marvel Comics.

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't just about movies or theme parks. Have you looked at the lineup on the kids' television stations? They are loaded with Marvel characters. Usually running opposite the traditional Disney character TV shows. So when you look at this, don't lock in on a single aspect. This board gets honed in on the theme parks and movies. The Marvel franchise is much bigger than any single aspect.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Cool The problem

From reading this entire thread it seems that the main problem expressed here is people seeing Marvel Characters infiltrate what is the best theme park / resort, that is, WDW.

I must confess, I too am not thrilled with that spectre. I can't help but be reminded of Universal Studios when I think of Marvel Characters and quite frankley, Universal is 'sleezy' in comparison to WDW.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post

Public domain fairy tales, very unrealistic depictions of historical events, and classic literature are not in the same realm as a medium with intellectual properties that have only existed since 1939, many even younger than that.

This is something that is not timeless like so many of the Disney properties we are familiar with. This is something that the current generation of adults, baby boomers, and senior citizens grew up with, that by and large had never been experienced in this form prior to their time.

This is something Disney has never touched before.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: