Quantcast Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Wizard of Oz was 20th Century Fox, not Disney. Again, a pre-existing contract that Disney HAD TO honor. Those contracts are ending, HENCE Disney doing a new Muppet movie.
    Yea, but it's not like Disney had no hand in it. Touchstone (Disney company) and Muppet Holding Co (aka Disney's umbrella for Muppet ventures) were also producers on the movie, and it aired on ABC (again Disney) and ABC also demanded rewrites, additional songs etc. They may have had to honor a few pre-existing contracts but to say that their hands were tied in what they could do until 2010 simply isn't true. There was even a TV show pilot that was filmed 2 or 3 years ago that never came to light because it just wasn't right... they've been trying, but just haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. Hopefully now they have.... back to Marvel.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Yea, but it's not like Disney had no hand in it. Touchstone (Disney company) and Muppet Holding Co (aka Disney's umbrella for Muppet ventures) were also producers on the movie, and it aired on ABC (again Disney) and ABC also demanded rewrites, additional songs etc. They may have had to honor a few pre-existing contracts but to say that their hands were tied in what they could do until 2010 simply isn't true. There was even a TV show pilot that was filmed 2 or 3 years ago that never came to light because it just wasn't right... they've been trying, but just haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. Hopefully now they have.... back to Marvel.
    I have hope for the Muppets. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that Disney did all they could at the time. The decisions they made were not so good, but, again, limited.

My fear with Marvel is the pre-existing contracts in place. I love the move, but, Sony, Paramont, Fox, etc has their hands on the movie rights. I will assume Disney will collect a license fee, but, who knows how the original contract was written.

As for Universal, this isn't going to affect them right now. But, do you really think Universal will want to promote Disney characters in their parks?
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Direct Quote: "Our agreement with Marvel stands as long as we follow the terms of our EXISTING contract and for as long as we want Marvel Superhero Island. Our agreemnt with Marvel stands and the Disney/Marvel deal has no impact on our guest experience" It goes on to say that the contract gives them rights east of the Missippi until they don't want them anymore for use of characters and merchandise that is already in their theme park.

Characters that are not being used in IOA already are fair game to use in Disney Parks.
    I know Universal has Spiderman, Storm, Dr Doom, Hulk, Captain America, Cyclops, Wolverine and the Green Goblin.

As for Toys.... Hasbro has an agreement that last until 2017

As for video games......Activision & Sega have contracts until 2017

As for movies.....Paramont will produce specifically Iron Man II & III, Thor, Captain America & the Avengers

X Men Property is licensed to Fox

Sony has Spiderman Licensed and have the next three films already planned.

Another interesting note (something I didn't know). There are 7,000 Marvel Characters! Move over Cinderella that Castle is going to get very crowded. My one question is.....Where are they ever going to put all of those meet and greets?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Direct Quote: "Our agreement with Marvel stands as long as we follow the terms of our EXISTING contract and for as long as we want Marvel Superhero Island. Our agreemnt with Marvel stands and the Disney/Marvel deal has no impact on our guest experience" It goes on to say that the contract gives them rights east of the Missippi until they don't want them anymore for use of characters and merchandise that is already in their theme park.

Characters that are not being used in IOA already are fair game to use in Disney Parks.
    I know Universal has Spiderman, Storm, Dr Doom, Hulk, Captain America, Cyclops, Wolverine and the Green Goblin.

As for Toys.... Hasbro has an agreement that last until 2017

As for video games......Activision & Sega have contracts until 2017

As for movies.....Paramont will produce specifically Iron Man II & III, Thor, Captain America & the Avengers

X Men Property is licensed to Fox

Sony has Spiderman Licensed and have the next three films already planned.
    These are licensing agreements (with the exception of the Deal with Paramount) and as such, DIsney now also has input into any product that these companies release. Just because they have licensing rights, does not mean they can just do whatever they want. On the flip side, I am sure that Disney, having some control over these products, can become so difficult to work with that the agreements magically come to an end through some sort of settlement.

I am positive DIsney has a plan that involves all existing agreements. I am sure they did not offer to buy and then realize, "whoops, you mean we cant have Spiderman back right now?"
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti View Post
    These are licensing agreements (with the exception of the Deal with Paramount) and as such, DIsney now also has input into any product that these companies release. Just because they have licensing rights, does not mean they can just do whatever they want. On the flip side, I am sure that Disney, having some control over these products, can become so difficult to work with that the agreements magically come to an end through some sort of settlement.

I am positive DIsney has a plan that involves all existing agreements. I am sure they did not offer to buy and then realize, "whoops, you mean we cant have Spiderman back right now?"
    Disney will have to honor any contracts that were already in place. These are big companies and I am sure they will not let Disney strong arm them in any way. Now as to what these contracts specifically say none of us know so to say Disney will have control over what is put out may not be true.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Not wanting to fuel the licensing debate, but it seems unlikely that Disney would buy the rights for something they couldn't do anything with.

It's obvious there's a lot of people who love what US has done with the characters and I hope they don't lose out on anything they love.

Post Thanks / Like

The world of Disney is full of characters that Walt Disney (and/or his apprentices and successors did not create) besides the "public realm" fairy tale characters, such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow white, Pinnochio, etc.

Such as:
    Peter Pan (J. M. Barrie)
    Alice in Wonderland & friends (Lewis Carroll)
    Mr. Toad & friends (Wind in the Willows)(Kenneth Grahame)
    Winnie the Pooh & friends (A. A. Milne)
    Brer' Rabbit & Friends (Joel Chandler Harris)
    Muppets & friends (Jim Henson)
    Luke Skywalker & friends & enemies (George Lucas)
    Indiana Jones (Steven Spielberg)
    Swiss Family Robinson (Johann D. Wyss)
    Tom Sawyer & Friends (Mark Twain)
    Lion Witch & Wardrobe characters (C.S. Lewis)
    Tarzan (Edgar Rice Burroughs)
    101 Dalmations (Dodie Smith)
    Mary Poppins (P. L. Travers)
    Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)
    Rescuers & friends (Margery Sharp)
    Mowgli & friends (Rudyard Kipling)
    Captain Nemo (20k under the sea) (Jules Verne)

and even . . . . Dumbo (Helen Aberson), who many people consider a classic Disney character.

And the list goes on and on. I'm sure I've left many others out.

I'll bet that some (even many) people felt that many of those characters didn't "fit" with the other Disney characters at the time, but most folks have easily come to accept them now as part of the Disney Family. Over time, so will the marvel characters, just as Pooh, Tarzan and Mary Poppins have become part of Disney.

Walt Disney & his company acquired the rights to those characters in the past, and by buying Marvel, the company has now acquired the rights to many other characters, and all the revenue that goes with with. It's really not anything new being done here, it's just on a larger scale than ever before. I can't fault Disney for buying a company that's sure to make them lots more money. Hopefully the theme parks will also benefit in one way or another in the long term. I don't see any downside for Disney in this move.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Wizard of Oz was 20th Century Fox, not Disney.
    It was MGM, actually.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved Disney -
    I have always loved Marvel over DC - Specifically since they veered away from the "campy" factor that drove me away from DC characters during my youthful collecting years (Thank GOD DC eventually got past that era!)
    Point is, Disney will benefit from any liscensing agrrements because, no matter who is "controlling" the characters, Disney will now OWN them and somewhere down the line the money will flow into their coffers.
    This is a GREAT business decision! To buy a company that's already proven and hase been around 70 years is a no-brainer.
    AKA: FlyingIceman - Ice Rocker
    DLR every Summer from '67 - '76
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04
    WDW Christmas '04 (ASMusic)
    WDW Christmas '06 (Pop Century)

DLR Oct. '07 (Paradise Pier)

WDW Sept. '08 (ASMovies & PO French Quarter)
    Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

Does it really matter with the Muppets??? The Muppets weren;t used properly at the end of Eisner's era... Iger is now finally getting them back in the mainstream... Give it time.. The guy writing the movie is a genious... He will do wonders for the movie... I can't wait for the new Muppet movie knowing who is writing it...

I, for one, can't wait to see some Marvel charcters in DHS!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRock0114 View Post
    Disney already totally ripped off the story of the "Fantastic 4" from Marvel when the made the "Incredibles" movie. So they might as well purchase the company that birthed that idea. It's true......deal with it.
    What Are you talking about ?
    I do not recall the incredibles getting their powers from a space ship journey.
    I don't remember a story line about super hero's being 'banned' and the superdudes going into forced "retirement".
    I see no specific reed richards character- Elastagirl has similar powers, but so does stretch armstrong. But none of the incredibles is some scientific genious.
    I do not see any storyline that the incredibles stole...other than good guys vs. bad.
    Am I missing something ?
    What were you reffering to ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Does it really matter with the Muppets??? The Muppets weren;t used properly at the end of Eisner's era... Iger is now finally getting them back in the mainstream... Give it time.. The guy writing the movie is a genious... He will do wonders for the movie... I can't wait for the new Muppet movie knowing who is writing it...

I, for one, can't wait to see some Marvel charcters in DHS!!!!
    DizneyFreak, that was my exact point. Muppets were under/misused and I was just making the comparison that its what you do with the acquisition that counts.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    DizneyFreak, that was my exact point. Muppets were under/misused and I was just making the comparison that its what you do with the acquisition that counts.
    And I agree with you 100%... But that was Eisner's mismanagement.. Iger is embracing the Muppets and is going to do the same with Marvel.... Marvel opens so many opportunities for Disney... I can't wait to see Wolverine in DHS!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Really not a Marvel fan (Just not into the superheros and such, sorry!), but I am excited to see what new possibilities are in store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Is this Disney's answer to Harry Potter perhaps?
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it on the front page this morning. It's like a blow in the face to Universal! It's like saying, what do a few wizards have on 5,000 superheroes?! (the paper said Marvel has 5,000 characters, I couldn't wrap my head around that, I can only name about 30 or so)

My next question...will Universal rename and retheme their the hulk coaster, spiderman, etc? And, if they do this, what would really be left? Jaws and Dr. Suess basically. (ok maybe a few more...)
    Now with Marvel, I can't imagine the endless possiblities Disney has now. New characters, shows, (maybe, hopefully, a heroes theme park?? or an add on to DHS) This seems like a really really good thing, especially since some people see not to many boy things in some places, Marvel heroes are a perfect addition in my opinion! Can't wait to see what they do now!!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

They make cutbacks to the park, Disney cuts jobs, and they cut hours....yet they can spend billions on buying Spiderman????

No, I think Spiderman and I think Universal. I will never see them as Disney.

That money could have been spent on so many other projects around the parks. Bad decision, Disney...bad, bad!!
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

lockedoutlogic Guest

Alot of good thoughts here....

alot of terrible ones....

there are two that get me...

The first is "they'll have to honor the univeral contract forever"
    Really? are we that naive? This is America and there is always a way to sue the heck out of something and get what you want....
    Bet your shorts that the boys are already in the air on this one.
    Those characters just became alot more expensive....and they know that whoever owns universal this week will pay. Because that is the only reasonable course of action on both sides. mark that down

Second, my personal favorite...."they could have done alot in the parks with that money"
    That's not the way it works, folks. Parks are nothing but a necessary evil at this point. They make nothing off rides....and certainly have no itches to blow 4 billion on them because all of us out here in consumer la la land would think it's neat.
    Those parks are used to push product....plain and simple. The disneyland "haven for families" concept was abandoned long ago.
    It's the truth, and it is blatantly obvious to the watchful eye.
    They put in what is the necessary to maintain perception of love on amusement....it is only that
    Seriously, does anyone think that Disney wants to spend 150 million on development, construction and design of something that will require 20 employees to manage, 365 days a year, and cost tens if not hundreds of millions more to maintain, service, and refurbish for decades?

hard to hawk enough stuff at the show dump shop to get that money back.....impossible, actually....

Rides and shows are necessary evil to get you to feel the love, buy things, and keep doing it when you get home....that about covers it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Disney will have to honor any contracts that were already in place. These are big companies and I am sure they will not let Disney strong arm them in any way. Now as to what these contracts specifically say none of us know so to say Disney will have control over what is put out may not be true.
    I don't think Disney needs to strongarm US in any way. US bought the rights and those rights included payments to Marvel for using those characters. I'm sure it was not a one-time payment, and there are montly/annual residuals to be paid. So the money for the licenses held "in perpetuity" will now go to the Walt Disney Company, a direct competitor of US. There's no strongarming necessary, US is now in a tight spot. I would expect to see new agreements drawn up, or US give up those licenses.
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Public domain fairy tales, very unrealistic depictions of historical events, and classic literature are not in the same realm as a medium with intellectual properties that have only existed since 1939, many even younger than that.

This is something that is not timeless like so many of the Disney properties we are familiar with. This is something that the current generation of adults, baby boomers, and senior citizens grew up with, that by and large had never been experienced in this form prior to their time.

This is something Disney has never touched before.
    Ummmm...no. Power Rangers, Muppets, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamBelle View Post
    My next question...will Universal rename and retheme their the hulk coaster, spiderman, etc? And, if they do this, what would really be left? Jaws and Dr. Suess basically. (ok maybe a few more...)
    Universal does not have to retheme any part of Marvel Super Hero Island. They have the theme park rights forever if they want, east of the Mississippi. Key word there is wants. I can't see why they would want Disney characters in their parks. I say look for a retheme within 5-10 years, but not sooner.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: