Quantcast Kindness in parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kindness in parks

A recent thread about rudeness and another post about a restaurant guest routinely cleaning off their dishes and stacking them for the waitperson got me thinking:

How do you go out of your way to be kind to other people in the parks, or what kindnesses by other GUESTS (not cast members) have been shown to you?

We give away our fastpasses to random people if it turns out we're not going to use them. We love the looks on their faces!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a GREAT thread!

My family (5 of us) were getting fish and chips in England at Ecpot right around the time of Illuminations (crazy I know). We went to sit in their little seating area but of course all the seats were filled. An extremely nice family from England cleared off half of their table and allowed us to share their table but of course there are no seats so kids kneeled down on the ground and began to eat. Two seperate people at 2 seperate tables offered my son and daughter their seats so they wouldn't have to sit on the ground. I was floored.What a nice gesture!
    These 3 seperate families made our quick service dining experience one of our favorite meals that trip.
    July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I always offer to take pictures for other guests so the whole group can be in the shot
    95 - All Star Sports
    97 - Dixie Landings
    99 & 02 - WL
    04 - Poly/Disney Wonder
    04 - All Star Movies
    05 - DL Paris
    05 - WLV,1st trip as DVC Member
    06-VWL
    07 - BCV & SSR
    08 - AKL/ Wonder
    09 - BCV
    10 - BCV, SSR
    11 - Disney Drea,
    12 - HHI & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We also give away our fastpasses and offer to take pictures for others. But mostly, we do the little things like smile at people, hold the door for them, etc. Probably the most obvious thing we do is at parades.

My wife always insists that we show up for parades at least an hour before they start. (By the way, this is a great way to take a break and get everyone to sit down for a bit.) Needless to say, being there early gets us great seats for the parades. However, we always watch for young children who might arrive later and let them come up front with us.

Post Thanks / Like

When I am at DL or even WDW, I try and remember that everyone paid good money to be there. Some even paid money they really didnt have just so their kids can have a great day.
    We always hand out our Fast Passes when we arent going to use them. Last time we were at WDW, I talked all the adults into letting only the kids have the front row at Fantasmic (thank goodness they were on board for the idea). I am a firm believer that random acts of kindness will come back to you. And I hope that if someone sees kindness they too will be kind to others.
    Adina
    DVC Since 2007 - AKL, BLT, VGC
    WDW Feb 2010 -BLT
    Poly - Feb 2007
    All Star Sports - Aug 2005
    DL Prem AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread!
    We pack laundry soap for a mid trip wash (we drive there and back and thus have the need). So, we always share and then leave the liquid soap we brought with us for others to use in the on-site washateria for others to use. Also ya gotta give the fast pass away if your not gonna use it, right!!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We too give away fast passes and we always bring extra glow bracelets & necklaces to pass out to other children (and even some adults) during the evenings. We are usually on the lookout for kids without a toy or who are having a tough time with the late hour!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

People have been so kind to us in so many ways at WDW! We've had people give up bus seats for our kids, we've been given things by other guests, like fastpasses and pins. Other guests have helped us out by giving us information. One kind lady helped herd my girls closer in to the characters on the dance floor at the BBQ just long enough for me to get a good shot! But the biggest thing other guests have given us was just being friendly, happy, and willing to chat and share their enjoyment.

We in turn, help out others whenever we can. We offer information, directions, we always give up bus seats for people who need them more than we do. When another family at the BBQ missed Mickey coming around to our table we helped them find out where and when to sit at another table so they could see him.

What a fantastic, positive thread! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

A wave, smile, and "Hi!" goes A LOOOOOOONG way.

I also look around to see if there may be someone shorter than me standing nearby at parade time, and offer to let them move in front of me.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Great Thread!

Two years ago when we were there, we were getting ready to leave on the bus from POP and had some unused CS meals from the DDP. My DW went into the restaurant at POP and after some searching, found a couple of people who were not on the DDP and bought their lunch for them.

We've also been on the receiving end. On the ME bus back to the airport last year, DS (then 2) developed a bad case of the runs and we did not have enough diapers and wipes with us because they were in the checked luggage. Another mother on board donated a pack of wipes and a couple of diapers that allowed us to make it home safely.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

We, too, give away fast passes and have had them given to us. Also, if my son sees a family with young children standing by the rope pull joke outside Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, he always makes sure to go over and tell them to pull the rope. It's fun for him and the kids always love the surprise.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

To start off with, this was quite a few years ago-hopefully doesn't cause any issues....

When my DH and I took our then DS3 to the parks for the first time we hadn't bought tickets yet (we were newbies and the internet was not quite as prevalent then and we were cluless). We went to the then MGM for our first day and bought tickets at the gate, the CM there explained the tickets and park hoppers (we still have 1 day a piece left on these non-expiring tickets-can't seem to let it go for some reason-sentimental I guess) and looked at our DS and said with a wink, "Wow, he sure is a big boy for 2!" We said, "Oh, he isn't 2." The CM said, "He looks 2 to me!" Needless to say magic was spread that day, and we have never forgotten it. It was such a treat to 2 very young, very poor parents.

I have never forgotten it, and b/c of this I am a customer for life!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Once when we were playing in the arcade at Pop Century, a gentleman came over to me and asked me if I would like his "front of the line" passes because he and his family were leaving the next day. He told me he got them from DVC (I asuume since he was staying at Pop, it must have been a reward for listening to the DVC spiel). The next day we went on Space, Splash and Thunder at the MK with this pass with no waiting whatsoever! I thought this was just the neatest thing ever! This year, we bought a AAA package that includes a mini-golf voucher that we won't use, so I'm going to scope someone out in the arcade and give it away. Pay it forward, right?

Loyal WDW Fan Since 1983!

Post Thanks / Like

We turn in unused fast pass tickets & offer to take pictures for other guests

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE threads like this! We do the usual FP giveaway, bus seat give-up and group picture taking. Last time we were there, a gentleman came up and asked where we got our water bottle holder thingies. We told him they usually sell them at the stands where you can buy bottled water, and we took a quick glance around and there were of course none in sight, so we handed him ours. Not a big deal, but he was happy.
    Also, on the receiving end- I am sooo grateful when I spy someone else having a particularly great time that I tend to tear up- part of the Disney Magic, I guess, but I consider that a kind gift that someone has given me.
    July 1976-Off Site
    March 1993-Off-Site
    Oct. 1994-Port Orleans
    Feb. 1997-Port Orleans
    Dec. 1998-Dixie Landings-Cruise-Dixie Landings
    Nov. 2001-Caribbean Beach
    Nov. 2004-POR-CRUISE-POR
    Sept 2005 DL Paradise Pier
    Dec. 2006 POP
    Dec. 2007 CR
    Nov. 2008- POR
    Oct. 2010 BWV
    Nov. 2011 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We went last year, my mother, me and my 2 DD's. So many people offered to help us on and off the busses with the stroller. It was so nice.

We always try to offer up fast passes, etc. Additionally, hubby and I always give up our seats for anyone whol looks like they may need them more.

2 years ago there was a pregnant woman standing on the bus and holding a toddler all the way home from MK to POP. She got my seat as soon as I could get to her! I couldn't believe no one else was getting up for her... but she was thankful.
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

We also give out unused FP's. Last year we had two FP's for EE, and realized we wouldn't be able to use them. We found to teenage boys and asked them if they could use them. They were so happy they almost hugged us. It was early afternoon, and FP's were gone for the day.

We happened to be walking by EE near what would have been our FP time, and there they were, entering the line.

We also love to take photos for people (DH and I are pro photographers). Lost of times when people see the photo after we take it, they ask how we did it. We love to give them little tips and tricks to give their photos a more professional look through composition and using available light.

DH is always holding doors for people, giving his seat to just about anyone on a bus or monorail, and is a "ladies first" gentleman. Actually, I'm pretty much the same (except the gentleman part).

We like to give a nice Disney pin to CM's who have really made our trips special. We started this last year, and I look forward to doing it again this year.

The few times we've gotten excellent spots for parades, I've always given them to kids. It's really not the kids' faults that they don't get to a parade in enough time to get a good spot, so we give them our seats, and then just stand behind them. I don't really like sitting during the parades anyway since most of the action is so high. I prefer standing, and the parents are always very appreciative of the gesture.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

We also give our unused FP away...one time, the woman and young girl that we tried to give "Toy Story" FP refused them and pushed us out of her way..we were quite surprized...but the gentleman and his daughter were thrilled when we offered to them. I have an annual pass and always go to get the 'special pins' and find a young person who is collecting, ask them which pin they think is nice (in the special collection) and purchase the pin and give it to them...Parents always seem quite surprized...we also give up our bus seats...even when we waited for another bus so we wouldn't have to stand, only to have the last two person get on the bus who looked like 80+ and ended up giving up our 20 minute waited for seats...but...what the heck...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

this is what i love about disney...everyone is on their best behavior!!!
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread...I love when people focus on the positive rather than the negative In general, I find most people at Disney are kind...from giving up seats on the bus to holding open doors...and most of the times the perceived rudeness is not intentional anyway...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: