Quantcast Any D23 Expo Announcements?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any D23 Expo Announcements?

I know the D23 expo started on thursday. I haven't heard news of any big announcements or seen any postings about anything really worthwhile yet.

Anyone know what's going on?
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think pretty much all that's been "newsworthy" have been:

1. Announcement of Alaska itinerary for Summer 2011 on DCL
    2. Announcement of NO PLANS to bring back Captain EO.

That's all I've seen so far...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

... and the official announcment of Pirates of the Caribbean 4
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    ... and the official announcment of Pirates of the Caribbean 4
    So essentially they've been announcing things that people knew were inevitable anyway? With the exception of the Alaska itinerary?
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I think pretty much all that's been "newsworthy" have been:

1. Announcement of Alaska itinerary for Summer 2011 on DCL
    2. Announcement of NO PLANS to bring back Captain EO.

That's all I've seen so far...
    As far as Captain EO, Iger did not rule out plans to bring back Captain EO- specifically he said it was being looked at and if Disney were to bring it back that they wanted to do it right so it was not ruled out completely.

As for other announcements at the Expo- the first few days have focused on ABC and Disney pictures specifically- today was wrapped up with a lot of focus on the movies in the works.

First, they spoke about Robert Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol and also talked about how he would be re-interpreting the Beatles Yellow Submarine in 3D.

Next up was Old Dogs with John Travolta and Robin Williams.

Then went into Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (mostly same footage shown at Comic-Con)

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time with Jake Gyllenhaal (who I thought looked somewhat freakishly ridiculous if you haven't seen how he bulked himself up for the role)

Muppets came out on stage in a sort of replica of Disneyland's Mark Twain and did a musical number to promote "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" which turns out to be a concept originally thought up by Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl and Frank Oz back in the mid 1980s.

Then Nicolas Cage came out to talk about the Sorcerer's Apprentice- not sure about this one. Adapting the sequence we know from Fantasia into a feature film?

Brief mentions of Andrew Stanton's live-action film (director of WALL-E) John Carter of Mars for Summer 2012.

But the major highlight was the Pirates announcement- crowd started screaming when you first saw the silhouette of Captain Jack behind a back-lit sail and then turns out to be Johnny Depp in character as Jack Sparrow- said he was hungry and could go for a snack like that mate Kermit (the frog).

Tomorrow is the big day for Parks and Resorts- also, there are lots of details to be gathered from the Expo itself in some of the smaller sessions and walking the expo floor.

Post Thanks / Like

What doesn't get covered in the major announcements about the D23 Expo are some of the panel discussions but are the real experiences that offer something unique to the fans.

Opening day was a special particularly with a panel discussion led by Marty Sklar of Imagineering legends like Bob Gurr and Alice Davis (always a treat to hear them speak) and also see them out interacting with guests out on the expo floor during the day.

Another major highlight was a screening and dicsussion about "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story" including a performance by Richard Sherman

Post Thanks / Like

We've heard nothing about them saying that Captain EO wasn't coming back, quite the contrary in the rumor mills.

We ran into Tony Baxter today and started talking to him. He said make sure we get to that Park discussion tomorrow which was going to be something huge. He wouldn't say anymore.

We know for sure, the Star Wars Stormtroopers will be there and that it has something to do with Star Tours 2.

Miley Cyrus was also there and then sang her current song with her band.

I was one of the people that screamed hysterically when the camera went in on that Jack Sparrow close up on two screens and realized it was truly Johnny Depp!!!! I was in the 5th row!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great info, Mufasa! Looking forward to today's theme park focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    First, they spoke about Robert Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol and also talked about how he would be re-interpreting the Beatles Yellow Submarine in 3D.
    Wow, really?? Now that is something I'd be looking forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Chescat View Post
    We know for sure, the Star Wars Stormtroopers will be there and that it has something to do with Star Tours 2.
    I sincerely hope that Baxter wouldn't refer to a Star Tours 2 as "something huge."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I sincerely hope that Baxter wouldn't refer to a Star Tours 2 as "something huge."
    I agree...I want to hear more concrete details for the Fantasyland Refurb for WDW....I hope some of those ideas come true...
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really excited to see what's planned for the park, if anything (and I'm sure there will be something!)

Please keep us posted!!!!!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention World of Color details- the nighttime show set to debut at Disney's California Adventure.

Steven Davison (the Creative Director) walked the audience through the entire show in detail (and was more animated and excited than I've ever seen him- literally out of breath by the time he was done).

World of Color is meant to take our guests through the magical worlds of Disney but through different colors and the aspects of color.

The show platform holding all the fountains/nozzles is larger than a football field. Each fountain actually has an LED lighting element in it so the columns of water will be able to produce a wide variety of colors where we can almost paint with these fountains.

The show will feature a water screen that is a single, seamless projection surface that is 382 foot long at the back of the lagoon (dwarfing what is used in Fantasmic). There's another seamless video water screen closer to the audience and so that will allow for "multi-plane" style effects in the show.

The show opens with The Magical Light- lasers (some custom designed for the show) will paint across the sky as it leads into the theme song from the World of Color TV show (actually went into the archives and pulled the original song recording masters).

Tinkerbell then arrives and as she's flying around, in the pixie dust trail she leaves behind is spelled out a quote from Walt "Every child is blessed with a vivid imagination- Walt Disney". So she enchants each of the letters and they all fall into the lagoon and turn into individual blue fountains- all except for the D in Disney which is playful and follows Tinkerbell around and she keeps trying to zap it to fall into the lagoon to no effect so she enchants it and it flies up and then finally falls into the center where it turns into an orange fountain- which comes to represent a character called little squirt.

Throughout the show we'll see hints of this orange fountain enchanting different scenes and representing sort of the imagination of Walt Disney.

So the orange fountain gets all the blue fountains to gather and race around the lagoon and they form around it and rise into the sky and when they come down it transitions into a sequence called the Magical Forest where we meet the Sprite of Spring from Fantasia 2000. So as the Sprite flies around the lagoon (through projection) she is creating the forest behind her as in the film.

That leads to the Colors of the Wind with Pocahontas. Here we see her hair flowing with leaves flying and as those leaves come down and touch the water they turn into butterflies (made with some of the fountains)

Which brings us to the April showers sequence- where we're greeted by Heimlich from A Bug's Life who suddenly encounters a rain storm. So we create a rain and lightning storm to a projection of the Old Mill which spins and draws us into Alice and the Colors of Wonderland.

For the Alice sequence- it will feature a lot of animation, but a different style of animation. We've been working with an artist- Megan Brain who animates by using cut paper (if you can imagine crafting these paper models) and photographing them like stop-motion animation.

So it's all been frenetic to this point so it leads to a serene scene with the music from the Little Mermaid playing (Part of your world) where the fountains create gentle waves on the surface and we're transported then under the sea to explore the colors of the sea.

Here the fountains in the lagoon will be led into a conga line by the orange, little squirt fountain building up to a giant wave in the back where we meet Crush from Finding Nemo and surfing the EAC.

Surfing the ocean takes us to surfing the skies and into the stars to explore the colors of the universe with WALL-E and EVE. If you recall from the movie when they are "dancing" in space, then that sort of effect will be created in the lagoon.

Next, we visit Infinity and Beyond so we go into Andy's bedroom from Toy Story and encounter Buzz and Woody with the sequence where Woody tells Buzz he can't fly and of course Buzz takes off and does and so he soars into the sky, then we see Carl's House rising from Up all moving into A Whole New World from Aladdin with the Magic Carpet where we see the moon eclipse as the carpet flies off.

Leading to the color of fears (yes, the villains). Lots of brand new fire effects in the lagoon from fire balls shooting up to these swiveling fire nozzles. The sequence opens with the villain from the Princess and the Frog Doctor Facilier, a practitioner of voodoo who conjures up pockets of fire in the lagoon which turn into characters and offers a prediction of what lies ahead.

In the process of conjuring we encounter Chernabog from Fantasia (and this is quite a reveal).

So the strong red colors to this point with fire gives way to a ominous green and through the mist we encounter Scar from the Lion King which leads us into the wildebeest stampede from the Lion King.

Here is where we really show off the multi-plane effects possible with the new fountains. The back wall rises and brand new, very stylized animation is created where we see the wildebeests tumble down into the canyon while the front projection surface shows young Simba caught in the wildebeests with animation taken from the film. As the wildebeests come closer we create that effect by adding another closer wall of water to the guests.

This ends in the world of tears and transformations (yes, there is the death of Mufasa here). But this leads us into a theme of love conquering all and the song So Close by Alan Menken from Enchanted plays highlighted by the Beast transformation from Beauty and the Beast which leads to a spectacular finale (with lots of surprises I won't go into)

The entire show runs about 25 minutes. Also announced at D23 is that the singer for the show will be Amy Grant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    See, I'm the opposite- especially given that it's Robert Zemeckis behind the project (sorry, but not a fan of his motion capture process that he passes off as animation)- it's very cold and life-less on screen.

And really, do we need Yellow Submarine done over?

Actually, one of the people responsible for the main technology behind Turtle Talk with Crush (John Adamczyk) was the executive producer on a project back in the mid/late 90s for Sony which appeared in Berlin and Japan I think based around Yellow Submarine where it featured a CGI, real time puppet host which would be more interesting than the Zemeckis project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    As far as Captain EO, Iger did not rule out plans to bring back Captain EO- specifically he said it was being looked at and if Disney were to bring it back that they wanted to do it right so it was not ruled out completely.
    Sorry, I should have been more thorough.

I was going off the LATimes.com article that I got via Facebook (Disneyland Fan Page).

Essentially, what I was trying to convey was the debunking of the rumor that EO would be returning to DL's Tomorrowland in early 2010...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more thorough.

I was going off the LATimes.com article that I got via Facebook (Disneyland Fan Page).

Essentially, what I was trying to convey was the debunking of the rumor that EO would be returning to DL's Tomorrowland in early 2010...
    Well, even the LATimes can't make up their mind as they posted 2 separate blog style posts about Captain EO- one saying that it definitely wasn't returning, while a few hours later saying wait, maybe it will be returning.

And just to further add to any speculation about announcements they are passing out 3D glasses to people in line for the Disney Parks/Resorts presentation to begin shortly...

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to keep this thread updated as the keynote goes on- as long as the cell phone networks don't get overloaded as unlike the other keynotes phones and cameras are ok for the session.

Post Thanks / Like

The new show for Disneyland CA sounds amazing...I've actually never been to Disneyland, and really want to go, but it's far from NY, and I am but a poor graduate student. However, this sounds like another reason to add it to my list of things I hope to do.

Post Thanks / Like

First stop in Jay Rasulo's tour through Disney Parks- Fantasyland. The WDW expansion is true with Fantasyland nearly doubling in size.

Post Thanks / Like

What to expect?

Dueling Dumbos, Princess meet & greet, Be Our Guest Restaurant, and Little Mermaid Attraction for 2012

Rather than a typical queue, Dumbo will be interactive themed like a 3 ring circus

Post Thanks / Like

DVC Hawaii opens 2011. Guests will also experience retelling of stories of Hawaii (expo guests caught glimpse of this with Storytellers Sandbox) and film clip shown about Hawaii narrated by Imagineering's Joe Rohde

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: