Quantcast Suite Life on deck gave odd message

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suite Life on deck gave odd message

This past weekend, we watched much of an episode of the Suite Life on Deck - just before Meet The Robinsons on the Disney Channel. (Although we own the DVD, we love the movie and my children were excited by the commercials.) In any case, we joined the Suite Life show in progress; but, what I saw left me both curious and concerned.
    When we joined the Suite Life, one of the characters was being convinced that he needed to live in the real world, not through an online game. Ok. BUT, they went on to convince this teen that he should arrange a meeting with his online girlfriend ?????
    Sure enough, they met. It turned out that the girl was indeed a female teen and was, in fact, perfect for him, and they started dating in the real world . . ...
    Did anyone here watch this whole episode? Was there some warning or explanation at the begining of the show?
    What we saw seemed like a very inappropriate message. I ended up sputtering through the begining of the movie, as I didn't want my children believing this was safe . . ..

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, while I didn't watch that particular episode, I haven't liked the message they've been sending since they switched from the original show (Suite Life of Zach & Cody) some time ago. As this show is clearly targeted for a "tween" market (and not a "teen" market), I would have to totally agree with you! I usually don't have anything negative to say about the various Disney shows that DS has been watching the past several years, but this one is no longer a welcome part of programming in our house. Maybe I've gone totally overboard, but in my opinion each situation (and attitude) has gotten a bit more outlandish than the last. I used to tolerate the show because I thought the Mom brought alot of good things to the table, but not anymore!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Add our family to the list of those who tune Zack and Cody out. Even when they were at the Tipton, I had issues with the appropriateness of the antics. The final straw for me was the episode where they and a coed group of friends sneaked into visiting Dad's suite, knowing he was out, to play spin the bottle. Of course, they were caught before anything happened, but, seriously, do I need to explain that plot to my 10 year old???
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, you know ... just lately I've kinda felt like all Disney's tween shows have pushed the envelope a bit as far as content.

I agree that Suite Life is the worst offender, but Hannah Montana has been getting pretty ... err ... advanced lately, too.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Um, the last episode I watched was when the boys snuck in the show to see their teacher dancing...I'm 21 and thought it was inappropriate to watch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdw_bound View Post
    The final straw for me was the episode where they and a coed group of friends sneaked into visiting Dad's suite, knowing he was out, to play spin the bottle.
    Ah yes, this was the one and only Zach and Cody episode I have seen. I'm 20 and I was uncomfortable watching it knowing it was on Disney Channel. Sure, when I was younger watching shows like Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, there were story lines involving crushes, but nothing more (Which is how it should be kept on TV for kids, IMHO).
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, this was the one and only Zach and Cody episode I have seen. I'm 20 and I was uncomfortable watching it knowing it was on Disney Channel. Sure, when I was younger watching shows like Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens, there were story lines involving crushes, but nothing more (Which is how it should be kept on TV for kids, IMHO).
    I feel the same way. I remember Lizzie McGuire being about her getting her first bra, dealing with an embarassing sweater her mom made her wear to picture day, things of that nature. Hannah Montana is like a sexed up version of Lizzie and I don't think it is a good idea. I remember Gordo (yes, I am embarassed to still remember the name) kissing Lizzie on the cheek in one episode and it being kind of scandalous in my kiddie mind. But now today Hannah is making out with her boyfriends, very different.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a show we usually watch. I'm not fond of preteens acting like they are on Friends and tend to forget the show exists, as it is simply of no interest.
    But, what we saw on that part episode - having them tell the boy to meet up with a cyber girlfiend - seemed such a dangerous message, I was truly hoping I misunderstood. The idea that any company, but especially Disney, would be suggesting this as appropriate is scary . . ..

Post Thanks / Like

actually we have this episode tivo'd. It is one of few episodes my kids have seen, they like the shrink "blanket" and when one of the twins dresses like a banana.
    Anyway, in this episode they do state that the girl he is interested in is a student on the cruise. Still not ok to encourage online meeting. And no I have not seen any psa on the dangers of meeting either.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My boys watch them- I'll have to ask them if they saw that episode. I would agree- I don't like that. I am constantly warning them of the dangers of being online as I am sure most parents do.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Sonshine Sonny Guest

Talking Suite Life is ok

The suite Life on deck is ok.I mean I watch it maby ok I have seen about all the episodes.If your gonna dis it I mean its not my faverite show.Look at Alex from Wizerds,She doesent have the best aditude I mean really.The only shows I watch on disney Channel is Hannah Montana Jonas and Sonny with a Chance.Oh and Phineas and Ferb too.And sometimes wizerds if its the only thing on.

And I will tell you the show Sonny with a Chance is the best.Get your kids into watching it.Its so funny.Its my all time faverite show!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen this particular episode, nor have my kids, but I agree it's a VERY dangerous message to be sending to tweens and kids in general. I would suggest you try and contact Disney and let them know that the message they're sending is contradictory to THEIR OWN Internet safety guidelines. I found the following on a page they have regarding online safety for parents and kids.

Never make plans to meet an online "friend" in person.
    I am attempting to find an email address to contact them on this. Does anybody have anything?
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I read this thread I knew I needed to speak to my kids about this. I try to watch these shows with my kids and we only record it in the family room so I can stay on top of that. I don't recall seeing this particular episode so I started questioning them about it. I also tried explaining the dangers involved.

As I began talking a thought occurred to me. What about Intercot Meet and Greets? Has anyone ever attended one of these?

Like I said, I haven't seen this episode so I don't know the details of their meeting, but did they present it in a safe way? I'm not condoning the subject matter, I'm just curious about what happened on the show.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the opposite boat as most of you I actually like the show, as far as the message at the begining of the episode they explain that its a game the kids on the cruise are playing more of an intranet game not a internet game. They have also had internet episodes before and yes as the boys have "grown" so have the messages. When they where younger they beat you over the head with the messages now that they are in "high school" they have gotten a bit lax. I am more concerned with shows (as someone else prev posted) like Wizards of Waverly Place, as an adult I find the show funny, however Alexs total disregard for teachers and her parents rules is a bit more shocking.
    I guess what it comes down to is what are you going to want to talk with your kids about.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbarletta View Post
    I am in the opposite boat as most of you I actually like the show, as far as the message at the begining of the episode they explain that its a game the kids on the cruise are playing more of an intranet game not a internet game. They have also had internet episodes before and yes as the boys have "grown" so have the messages. When they where younger they beat you over the head with the messages now that they are in "high school" they have gotten a bit lax. I am more concerned with shows (as someone else prev posted) like Wizards of Waverly Place, as an adult I find the show funny, however Alexs total disregard for teachers and her parents rules is a bit more shocking.
    I guess what it comes down to is what are you going to want to talk with your kids about.
    Yes. I agree with you but I also agree with Sonshine Sonny. Alex needs to have an aditude change big time. Thats why I like Sonny with a Chance! Sonny is like the nicest girl ever! I mean would you want your kid to act like she's number one or like they would help if someone needed it?

!(\ /) I AM CHANNY BUNNY
    (='.'=) LOVE ME!=D
    (")_(")

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been a big fan of Hannah Montana b/c of all the "boycraziness", even when the show first started. I hate the fact that they push that so much. Disney always puts a snotty, popular lead girl or boy in their movies, too.

Post Thanks / Like

As I began talking a thought occurred to me. What about Intercot Meet and Greets? Has anyone ever attended one of these?
    Yes, I've met several people from Intercot.

Usually they are large meets with several of us in attendance.. although some of us are now long time friends and meet up when we get the chance.

I recently met up with Ed and Ian in The World.

My favorite memory is from an Icot meet in 2001, when Janet got into the hot seat at Millionaire. When the host asked who she was there with and she responded with "Friends I met on the Internet" the crowd had a good laugh at us.

Even with Intercot, you still need to be careful and only arrange meets in public spaces or attend official Icot meets or Mousefest.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Yes, I've met several people from Intercot.

Usually they are large meets with several of us in attendance.. although some of us are now long time friends and meet up when we get the chance.

I recently met up with Ed and Ian in The World.

My favorite memory is from an Icot meet in 2001, when Janet got into the hot seat at Millionaire. When the host asked who she was there with and she responded with "Friends I met on the Internet" the crowd had a good laugh at us.

Even with Intercot, you still need to be careful and only arrange meets in public spaces or attend official Icot meets or Mousefest.
    Exactly. So I'm just wondering if parents that participate in Meet and Greets are setting the example they want this program to set as well.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I definitly think that there were many wrong messages sent out of this show. However, as a teen remembering these shows with the same plots, the plots didn't seem like messages to me. I'm not encouraging that these "messages" were appropriate, but I never really felt this was something that anyone would actually do, and certainly something I wouldn't do. I don't feel that it was the show's writer's idea to encourage meeting people in person who you see online, but just to add some excitement into the program. I feel that if you think these "messages" will put a negative effect on children, then you write to Disney complaining. Growing up I never saw these as bad things, but as excitement to the show. I of course was a very mature child who was educated to never meet anyone online or give away personal info, so for these plots my parents never had a problem letting me watch these shows especially since they're Disney.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I also think for some of us it comes as a "bad message" because we didn't have internet growing up and didn't have these issues to deal with. So writers are trying to incoporate technology without thinking of all the actions. However I did notice that in the past week or two Disney is using Phineus and Ferb to run an internet safety PSA
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: