Quantcast What's your AK Stragedy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What's your AK Stragedy?

We've only been to the Animal Kingdom a handful of times and each time I feel like we are wandering aimlessly and not really taking much in. I don't know if we should head to EE or KS or walk to get a FP and back?! Has anyone found an effective way to tour Animal Kingdom? Thanks! I want to love this park so bad...
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I always head straight to Everest when I arrive at the park.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I will send you a pm.
    THis is where I was a cast member so I think I can help you out a bit.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I. Go to Expedition Everest
    2. Ride it
    3. Check the line for expedition everest, and if it's short, (a)ride it, and if it's long, (b)get a FP.
    3a. Ride it again
    3b. Go to Kilimanjaro
    4. Check the line for EE and ride it again, or use your fastpass.
    5. Repeat step 3.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel. I don't have a problem at MK or EC but at AK and DHS I am lost. We wander around and do things but I still feel like we aren't making the most of our time and just kind of go on what we come to. I'd appreciate the pm too Joannelet!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

We felt the same way, but the last time we were there we just went in a circle and did everything. The best thing, though, was the safari. We went right when the park was closing. There was no wait and all the animals were out. We enjoyed it so much that we got right back on and saw even more animals. Now we don't even try to ride before the very end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

AK is designed for visitors to wander. That is the beauty of the park. It is not about major thrills, even though thrills are to be had there. The paths and landscaping lead a visitor to just wander.

When we go, we like to just take our time, look around and explore stuff there. I find AK to be very relaxing, especially when you go back into the animal trails.

While it is considered by Disney to be a half-day park, if you take your time it could be drawn into a one day park.

Post Thanks / Like

We went straight to EE and then to the safari...after that, we went to the first available Lion King show and just fit the other attractions around that taking it one land at a time....my son was actually able to ride EE several times without wait in the single rider line

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

straight to EE, get a fast pass, if the wait is short then ride it then and go back on it again later

then we head over to dinoland and then counterclockwise where we end at safari
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default my plan

1.Discovery Island
    2.Dinoland
    (a)Primevil Whirl
    (b)Dinosaur ride
    3.Aisa
    (a)See Flights of Wonder
    (b)Walk the Maharajah Jungle trek
    (c)Expedition Everest
    4.Go to Africa to get to:
    (a)Rafiki's Planet watch take Wildlife Express
    (b)Tour the exhibits and take train back
    5.Africa
    (a)Walk the Pangani Forest Trail
    (b)Kilmanjaro Safaris
    6.Discovery Island
    (a)It's Tough to be a Bug
    (b)Flame Tree BBQ
    7.Visit the zoological exhibits at the Oasis
    8.Aisa
    (a)Kali River Rapids “You will get wet, you may get soaked”
    Hope this helps
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I head straight to the Safari, grab a FP, then ride it. If I didnt have kids, I'd go to EE and walk through the queue, cus it's pretty cool. However, with kids, we head to a trail to walk on and then over to the Nemo show, which is really great.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We normally arrive at park opening and head straight to EE, then to the Safari, then the next showing of the Lion King. After that we try to get in the other attractions in no particular order. We are usually leaving the park not long after lunch time or at the latest 3pm. This year we are taking a different approach. We are having an early lunch at T-Rex at DTD then we go to AK after lunch. We are hoping that as the crowds that arrived at park opening are leaving the park won't be as crowded during the second half of the day. The few times we stayed at AK past 3pm we found that the closer it got to park closing the shorter the lines were, and many of the more popular rides were even walk ons.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Thread, I know exactly what you mean, all this criss-crossing trying to get into shows, it is hard. I would love to know what the cast member advised....
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    I would love to know what the cast member advised....

Me, too.
    1976- WDW Contemporary Garden Wing
    1985- Grad Night WDW Magic Kingdom
    1986-1989 WDW and DL day trips
    Nov. 2007- WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2010 WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 WDW Pop Century & Villas at Wilderness Lodge

"Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!"---- Mr. Gibbs

Post Thanks / Like

That makes 3 of us

Post Thanks / Like

Awe! I'm going to try to help you all out in the best possible way (since this is hard to do with a group). I can't customize it like I can with a specific family or person in mind....
    Conquer Animal Kingdom in a circle. Start wherever you like and just go in a circle from there. There is no wrong or right way to go through this park. I always start with what I want to go on first which is usually KS so we start from that way and go back to Discovery Island, Camp Minnie Mickey to Dinoland etc. BUt if you enjoy EE first then start there and go whichever way you like from that area.
    However, its important to understand that Animal Kingdom was made to MAKE you wander. So if you feel like you are wandering thats because you are!!! Disney did a great job with that!!! I think this is the most underestimated park.....

but just treat it like a circle and CHECK OUT EVERYTHING!! From the gift shops to the restaurants, from the hidden mickeys to the amazing plants and of course those animals!! Most people never even realize that there are certain spots around the tree of life where REAL animals are. I once saw a HUGE tortoise just moving along slowly around the tree of life....and another time saw a gorilla get up and bang its chest and do its call!! Not that many people get to see that But if you meander through like its meant, just maybe you will see how truly magical this park can be!!!

If you are interested in the shows plan on being in that area around that time so that you are not running from one end to the other (which is not the point of the park) If a show is starting at a time that will work for you say like the Festival of the lion king...then kill time in Discovery Island while you wait. Here are some things for you to do....look for the hidden mickeys on the tree of life, go into the stores in discovery island and try to figure out what type of animals are the 'theme' of that store. Go to pizzafari where each room represents a specific 'kind' of animal and try to figure it out.
    If you are waiting for the Nemo show check out Dinoland for a bit. look for a hidden mickey at the playground, look at what the student paleontologists do when they are not searching for dinosaur bones. Each area has something to tell (just like all Disney theme parks do) this one isn't any different.

But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see. I hope this helps a little...Its hard giving group advice because everyone has different wants and needs...so that is why I pm people. Its easier to customize it a little.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    However, its important to understand that Animal Kingdom was made to MAKE you wander. So if you feel like you are wandering thats because you are!!! Disney did a great job with that!!! I think this is the most underestimated park
    But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see.

Even though we love the rides, esp. KS & EE, AK is a place to slow down and use your eyes to look at everything "from the perspective of a child" (Star Trek TNG - Natasha Yar about Lt Cmdr Data).
    Look out for Ms DeVine in Africa and the big cats (follow the link below)

Tiger along the Maraharaja Trek

Can't wait until we fly out to WDW 1st week of Dec and AK will probably be our first park
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    But my best advice to you is SLOOOOOOWWW down....if you do you will take in sooo much more and see animals do things that you don't always get to see. I hope this helps a little...Its hard giving group advice because everyone has different wants and needs...so that is why I pm people. Its easier to customize it a little.
    I think that is the best possible advice. To many people rush AK and then complain that there isn't enought attractions...which isn't true...even though its NOT A ZOO it should be enjoyed at a Zoo Pace. You get more out of it.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

We tend to do Kilomanjaro Safari early on as the animals tend to be more lively before the afternoon sun sends them all to sleep. It's a good job we do as well! Whenever we go there's always these poachers trying to get Big Red and Little Red... someone has to be there to stop them!

I know some people prefer to ride kali River Rapids later on in the day to avoid being wet all day but I don't think this is a major issue. If you go here mid-morning the sun will normally dry you out afterwards. As we go to Animal Kingdom on two different days (as a general rule) we start off with a character breakfast on the other day. This is always a nice touch.

Other of that I don't know of us following any other stratergy at AK, just look at what we would like to do and see (pretty much everything!) and go for it. Though for all I know it could all be planned out perfectly and I'm completely oblivious to it.

All our previous trips have been 2004 or earlier though so all I've seen of Expedition Everest is them building it. With this being one of the big 'new' things we're looking forward to next year I'd imagine the Everest Factor will come into play with whatever we decide.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

We have two little ones 6 & 1. The way we knock out AK is

1. FP for Everest (just one runs over and gets them, the other takes the kids to camp mickey for characters)
    2. Do the lion king show
    3. Go get FP for safari ride
    4. hit dinoland while waitng for the next nemo
    5. everest after nemo
    6. check the wait for water ride (we are not big fans of this ride so a 30 minute wait and we skip it)
    7. Bug's life
    8. go ride the safari
    9. walk the kids along the zoo areas

gone.

we are normally finished around 2, getting there when the doors open.

Remember you fast passes do not expire that day, you can't use them early but you can use them late. So don't rush and pay attention when you can get your next fast pass. Riding the rides in between shows. The shows are amazing and really worth seeing.

This go around we are going to fit in the bird show.

Good luck and a safe trip

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: