Quantcast Opinions: Ft. WIlderness Cabins VS Wilderness Lodge Villas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions: Ft. WIlderness Cabins VS Wilderness Lodge Villas

Alrighty folks, I have been quibbling about which choice to make for our next stay.

The plan is for a early Dec. 2010 visit to the World. It will be me, DH and DD8. We are huge Wilderness Lodge fans, absolutely love it to pieces. We love the theme, the lobby and location. BUT we will need a kitchen next time since my DH has a very restrictive diet....gluten free and vegan. So he will need to cook for himself rather than attempt to get the Disney chefs to dance a jig for us every meal.

I am looking at either the FW Cabins or a 1br WL Villa. The biggest issue is price, the cabins are totally doable for the 10 days we like to stay.....but I have some misgivings about the bus situation and size of the resort over there. I am also really fretting that I will miss the Lodge so terribly that it will bum me out the whole trip. Are the villas totally worth their price?

I am asking ya'll for opinions on the matter. Would I be able to acclimate to FW, since it's still the wilderness theme? Sell me on the cabins if you love em'....or talk me up into the Villas if you think that's the ticket. I want to know what my fellow Intercotees think.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a HUGE Fort Wilderness Cabin fan! Let me ask you a few things....

Are you driving or flying? If you are driving, I don't think the buses at Fort Wilderness should be an issue. You get to park your vehicle right at your cabin and you can drive it to the theme parks and park them for free as a resort guest. That's what we're doing next week when we're there! As for getting around Fort Wilderness, you can take the bus which yes, can be a little irritating waiting, OR you can rent a golf cart (book it ahead of time) and boot around the resort on your own schedule. You can even take the golf cart down to the waterfront, park it for the day while you go to MK, and then hop on it when you get back to return to your cabin. Seriously, I wouldn't be concerned about transportation within Fort Wilderness if you get a golf cart.

The cabin itself is awesome. How many people are you travelling with? The back bedroom has a double bed and bunk beds with a television, there's a full bathroom, the kitchen has a full-sized refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, dishes, etc. And the front living room has a dining table, tv with dvd/vcr, Murphy Bed, couch & chairs, etc. Don't forget that the outside of the cabin has your own PERSONAL wood deck with picnic table. There's also your own Hibatchi outside.

Seriously, Fort Wilderness is like having your own private home away from home. It's relaxing and peaceful under the trees. You don't feel like you're tripping over people. You don't hear your neighbours. It's definitely worth a try if you like Wilderness Lodge. Make some reservations at the Trails End Buffet at Fort Wilderness. Take a ride in the horse drawn carriage too or go for a horseback ride!

I would suggest reading the Intercot "Camping" boards (look for the posts about the cabins obviously) to educate yourself some more. Trust me, you'll have a fantastic time and be able to save your money for other things (like a golf cart!!).

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

We are cabin fans that have stayed there the past 6 years straight, but we also have 6 people. This makes the cost much cheaper than what we could get at WL to sleep 6. The choice would be if you would want a more rustic, camping like environment or one that is closer to a condo environment. Is the difference worth the $? Even though I tell everyone how great the cabins are, my DW calls me cheap and I would probably pick WL just to save the $$.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies cabin fans!

We will be flying and not renting a car at all, so we will be at the mercy of the Disney transportation system. A golf cart does sound like a fun thing to tool around the resort in. How much does Disney rent them for?
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

To make the price less of an issue, you could try renting points for VWL. Just go to the Disney Vacation Club boards and DVC Mike's thread is the first one and discusses renting points.

I would be torn too. The WL has beautiful decorations at Christmas, but many campers decorate their campsites, and that is nice too.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong, but I believe a golf cart is around $40/day.

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    * Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Like your family, we fell in love with WL the first time we walked into the lobby. We love everything about it. We had another stay at WL booked last October. Then the discount codes came out - with no availability for our dates at WL. Staying at the cabins instead was over $1,000 cheaper, so we decided we simply could not justify the price difference.

We loved the cabin! It was great to have a kitchen, the extra room was wonderful, and the deck was really cool. It was kind of odd going to eat at WCC, (I was concerned that it would make me regret changing from WL), but we spent some time at WL, just relaxing (visited Walt's trains, sat and chilled in the courtyard), and then decided that the cabins were the right choice for that trip.

We relied on internal transportation most of the time, but rented a cart for one day ($50, I think) when we were going to MNSSHP. At midnight, it was worth every penny to hop of the ferry from MK, walk about 10 steps to the cart and drive with two sleepy/sleeping kids straight to our front door.

Here are some links to my trip reports that may also answer some of your questions:
    http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144476
    http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144537
    http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144617
    http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=144619

Either way, I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wrong about the golf cart prices. I booked one today for my trip next week and it's apparently $59/day.

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    * Fort Wilderness

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: