Quantcast First Trip to DisneyWorld

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Trip to DisneyWorld

We did the Disney Cruise two years ago and loved it!!!! Kids are 7 and 9 and are ready for a trip to Disney. We will be going Spring Break (yikes) and think we want to stay at a Moderate Hotel. Depending on price, it may even be a Value. I think at this age, Deluxe accom. is unnecessary, not to mention cost prohibitive right now. They will be more about the oohs and aahs of what they "see".
    So any recommendations or "stay away from" will be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are going to LOVE IT!!! as well as your kids LOL
    There really isn't much to stay away from but pick a resort based on what you want or need during your trip...based on what the kids will like etc.

Wilderness Lodge is great since it has wonderful restaurants inside etc. Port Orleans is a hotel I like as well.
    Did you have a place in mind that you've wanted to stay at?
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly have no clue!! I have friends who go all the time, but stay off site. They have recommended Wilderness. I have heard great things about Port Orleans Riverside and POP Century...ahhhh!!!!

I don't care that much about how great the food is. I don't want to wait forever for a bus to the parks or take forever to get there.

A cool pool and/or a big pool would be nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

we've stayed twice now at the Caribbean Resort and love it, we went Dec 08 and the pool was complete, it's a pirate theme and awesome if your children are into pirates, the food court is pretty good, we never really waited that long for busses to the parks, the bridge over the lake is an awesome walk,
    I can't really think of anything to stay away from. I would suggest you go on-line and research the parks, the 1st time we went in 07, my daughter and I were soooo overwhelmed by all that was offered and felt we missed 3 days just rying to re-organize our thoughts on it. It was a lesson learned and the trip in 08 was fantastic
    have a wonderful time

Post Thanks / Like

How long are you staying, and are you driving?

One big word of advice (and something I know that many on here do). You and your kids will be much happier if you use the extra magic hours, and go to the parks when they open, eat lunch around 11:30am (to beat the lunch lines), then leave the parks for the resort shortly after. Take a few hours in the afternoon to enjoy the resort, wind down, go swimming, whatever. Then, head back out for dinner and finish off the evenings in the parks. Those few hours in the afternoon for the kids will make each day better, less exhausting, and so there will be less whining and fighting. Besides, what most kids really want to do is swim anyway.

As far as resorts go, the Value Resorts are nice, and not a bad choice, except that the pools are nothing special. So if swimming is a consideration, all the moderates have more interesting pools, with hot tubs and waterslides. All the pools are heated, too, so don't worry about it being to cool to swim. My kids have always found time to swim, even in December.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Truly, I don't think you can go wrong staying on any property onsite at DW....bus waits happen with all resorts, but I've never had a wait long enough to turn me off any resort and I have stayed at Pop, AS Movies and Coronado Springs. Probably the most efficient was Coronado Springs simply because there are bus stops spread around the resort. Also their pool is cool.....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

You are going to love it! We always stay at a value resort because you can't beat the price and we are never in our room except to bathe and sleep.Are you doing the dining plan? That's a must have.lol Don't want to scare you but spring break is horribly crowded.Just go with the attitude that you know you want be able to see or do everything and you'll be fine.Besides there's always next time.We don't exhaust ourselves at the parks cause we take breaks like watching shows,parades,fireworks,etc.Also a nice table service meal is a nice break.I hope this helps.Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.I hope you have a magical first trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like CBR. The themeing is great and so is the pool. Like a PP we were there in Dec. 2008 and they had just recently finished the pool and its really nice, so is the little bar next to the pool. The food is noting great, but it works.
    Oct 97 All Star Music
    Dec 2008 CBR - First Family Trip
    February 2012 POP/BC

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at POFQ, AKL and CBR. I think CBR has the best pool (per my kids) out of the three of them. AKL has the best bus service in my opinion. All 3 resorts were very nice and I would stay at them again. As for the parks, just know that you can't do everything and just go with the flow. Utilize fast passes too. Also, make your ADR's well in advance if you want sit down meals. Have fun planning.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

There is a site called allears which has an extensive photo gallery on each resort. I always like to check the photos so you can see exactly what the theming is like. I've never had a bad experience staying on-site so for me it's more about seeing which theme appeals to me.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice. We chose Port Orleans Riverside the first time because of the trundle beds since we had 5 of us at that time. I know exactly how you feel, because we'd read ALL the guide books and had NO CLUE what resort to pick! We were fully planning to take 2 rooms at a Value until the Disney fellow I talked to told me about the trundles. ANYWAY, we liked it enough that we chose to stay there when we went back. On that second trip, we travelled around and looked at other resorts, so now we plan to try a couple new (on our next stay we'll be going for 8 days - spending 4 at Carribean Beach and 4 at Animal Kingdom because we can't decide!) I guess my long, rambling point is that you can't go wrong, and "picking" isn't really easy on your first trip - AFTER you see the other resorts you might decide to get a bit more adventurous :-)

ps - we wouldn't do value because the rooms are just that bit smaller. Even at the moderate they're "cozy" for four people - I wouldn't want to be any MORE crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

CBR has the biggest moderate rooms, probably because it was the first moderate built. I really like CBR, love the theme, the grounds. I hear the tropical music when I step out by the main pool and all the great memories I associate w/ prior trips to WDW & CBR bring a smile to my face. It's a big, spread out resort, but each 'island' has it's own quiet pool and bus stop. The main pool is really nice.
    POFQ is smaller, the pool not as impressive as CBR's main pool, IMO, but you can walk, take the boat or bus to POR and use that pool. POFQ & POR have a boat to DTD, which I really liked.
    I've not stayed @ CS or any values, so have no opinion on them.
    As others have noted, there are things to like about each resort. WDW is huge, so you are smart to research and learn all that you can before going!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you mentioned POP. If you are going for a Value, that's definitely the way to go. The kids will love the atmosphere!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pop! It's a really fun hotel - and it has it's own bus line so you don't have to drive around picking up other hotel guests. But definitely look at pictures online to see what may be the best choice for you and your family.
    * Yacht Club * Pop Century * WDW Dolphin * Beach Club * Port Orleans French Quarter * Old Key West *

Next trip:
    November 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort - Wine and Dine Half Marathon

February 2014 Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

All Star Music is a great first place. They ahve movies at night by the pool the pools are great the themeing is so fun. Great game room etc. I see no need to pay for a mod or even a Deluxe your first trip. REASON. This IS your first trip and you will spend very little time at it and more in the parks with the days that you have. We did this our first trip and only saw the room from Midnight to 6 am We go in dec so park hours are short. But we use all the EMH for the parks and plan that day in that park when the time is longer. We also try and eat at that park that day for dinner so not to miss anything by traveling around on your precious time. You will be overwhelmed with all there is to do you will not get to do it all. We went again this past Dec and still have yet to do WS really..Epcot except to run thru it. I hope you can plan at least 6-7 days and repeat a favorite park or 2. We are doing POP this time and feel this will be our new hotel. The higher priced ones may seem nice and relaxing and they may well be , but with kids its all about theming and POP and the All Stars make you feel Disney. I will never forget 2 years ago when we walked out of the lobby to the room areas and were in AWE. It made us tear up from all the color and fun looking decor. Buses are really not bad at Music. But am looking toward trying POPs since they only share with themselves. Have a great time and just have fun..
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Each of us will plug a favorite. We go every other year over Spring Break. 1. Pop 2. Up early and
    3 Lots of ADRs. The ADR will get you off your feet to relax a bit. You do not have to eat a full meal every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    How long are you staying, and are you driving?

One big word of advice (and something I know that many on here do). You and your kids will be much happier if you use the extra magic hours, and go to the parks when they open, eat lunch around 11:30am (to beat the lunch lines), then leave the parks for the resort shortly after. Take a few hours in the afternoon to enjoy the resort, wind down, go swimming, whatever. Then, head back out for dinner and finish off the evenings in the parks. Those few hours in the afternoon for the kids will make each day better, less exhausting, and so there will be less whining and fighting. Besides, what most kids really want to do is swim anyway.

As far as resorts go, the Value Resorts are nice, and not a bad choice, except that the pools are nothing special. So if swimming is a consideration, all the moderates have more interesting pools, with hot tubs and waterslides. All the pools are heated, too, so don't worry about it being to cool to swim. My kids have always found time to swim, even in December.
    Excellent advice all around.We always take afternoon breaks and it's just 2 of us adults.As everyone has said,you can't go wrong at any resort.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Although I do prefer the deluxe resorts, I have stayed at ASMovies and at Pop for just a quick visit. My kids really loved ASMOvies since it just captures the Disney theming so well. I did find that on my first trip to Disney I spent almost no time in the resort, so agree that a value is a perfect choice for a first trip. On the other hand, if you are going to be spending the afternoons at the resort AKL is a great one!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

we stayed value on our first trip, and it was ok because it was our first trip,and we were very busy running the parks.
    the second time, we started off at POP ,but were really uncomfortable in the small beds and were looking for some R & R, we moved over to coronado springs,and so happy we did, the rooms were double in size,queen size beds,there are 4 busstops, and a huge pool with a jaguar slide, and a hot tub, it is a great value for a mod.
    where ever you decide,have a great trip!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: