Quantcast Atlanta, GA

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Atlanta, GA

DH is going to Atlanta for a few days on business. We plan to go 2-3 days earlier to visit the sites. Any advice? We'll have DS8 & DD7 with us. Thinking about staying at Stone Mt. or downtown Atlanta for a night or two before we move on to the hotel for the conference. Any suggestions?
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Stone Mt is definitely fun to see. You will also want to make absolutely sure you see the Georgia Aquarium. Depending on when you're there the Atlanta sports are fun to see...hockey, baseball, basketball, football are all in town depending on the time of year you're going. The High Museum is fascinating and always has great exhibits (including one by Leonardo Da Vinci right now). The Atlanta Zoo is fairly fun. The cyclorama is interesting if you enjoy history. Be sure you eat at The Varisty. World famous greasy spoon.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The Atlanta City Pass included 6 attractions (including Aquarium, Coca-Cola World and CNN tour downtown) for a single low price.
    Stone Mountain (not on the City Pass) attractions may not all be open during the slow times of the year--be sure to check what will be open when you are there.
    As far as where to stay--Stone Mountain is way out east from central Atlanta, downtown can have expensive parking (and not much to do at night unless you go to a sporting event). I tend to find the best lodging deals in the Peachtree/Perimeter area (which also has easy downtown access by public transit/rail)

Post Thanks / Like

If you like to shop - visit the Buckhead area. If you want to try good southern food - Mary Mac's Tearoom downtown on Ponce De Leon is worth the difficulty of finding a parking place to eat there. The Westin hotel downtown has a restaurant that rotates at the top of the hotel- great views. Haven't eaten there in a long time so I can't comment on the food. The Varsity is an Atlanta institution for fast food. It is also downtown. I hate it, husband loves it. You might want to check and see what shows will be at the Fox Theater while you are in town. Purchase Aquarium tickets in advance if you want to do that particular attraction. It is very popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Atlanta, also of course recommend the Aquarium. I like to take people to the Atlanta History Center, you can go on their website and see the exhibits, I believe they have some of the Gone with the Wind costumes or memborabilia, Civil War stuff and a Bobby Jones permanent one, if you like golf. You could have lunch at the Swan House. The Atlanta Civic Center is running an exhibit through June with Princess Diana's clothing and things.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Atlanta and have 2 boys. I think that it is a good idea to stay at the Evergreen lodge at Stone Mountain park for the first couple of days if you will be staying at a down town conference center later on in your trip. It has a nice pool, fire pits for smores, etc. I have two boys and they really enjoy the Crossroads village at Stone Mt, the train ride etc. Right now they have a "snow mountain" area where you can sled and make snow balls etc. If you are from a cold climate, this might leave you, um, cold... fun for southern kids! I think the other posters had great suggestions. If your kids like Club Cool, they will love the Coke Museum. It is very doable to do the Aquarium and Coke Museum in one day if you start early, but must get Aquarium tickets in advance. There is also an interactive kids museum in that same area. Atlanta is quite spread out, so it is important to plan your day accordingly. It sounds like your kids are a little young, but the Carter Museum and MKL museum are interesting for history buffs. I am not a big Buckhead fan myself but prefer neighborhoods such as Virginia Highlands and Decatur. These are nice areas for dinner out, even with the kids. There are some cute shops too. Everyone has a different taste though! A nice afternoon could be spent driving to Madison (less than an hour east of Atlanta) to see the beautiful old mansions of the old south and then scoot over to Social Circle for lunch or dinner at the Blue Willow Inn. The BWI has the best southern food anywhere, IMHO. Have fun!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, have you been to Lake Oconee? I want to get over there this Summer. Oh, I remembered another place we love, it's a B&B/farm called Serenbe. Marie, one of the owner's, mom owned Mary Mac's Tea Room. They do a hayride, bonfire. It's even worth checking out the community for a day. Very close to the airport in Palmetto.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: