Quantcast Ian's No ADR Trip - A Summary - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

We also never make ADR's except once we did one for T-Rex just in case but it ended up not being needed, there was a whole big section not being used. We just never know what we will be in the mood for or where we will be or even if we will be hungry at that time. Like you said we are on vacation and don't want to be at a certain place at a certain time throughout the trip, I have enough of that at work.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

good for you guys I hate having to stress about this stuff 180 days out, what park has EMH, all that stuff c'mon we're on vacation and we're worrying about eating? I do it like the majority, but I'm not a fan at all. I like the old way of walking up putting your name on a list, or calling ahead when your down there-kwim? I'm glad it worked out for you guys, and you ate at some great places too that's even better! I wish May was like this still, but I don't think so anymore. Thanks for the update!
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah, it's funny you mention this, because when we ate at Le Cellier we walked up to the reservations kiosk out front (the one that's set up actually outside the gate there, not the one inside the restaurant) and stood in line behind a couple who had ADR's and were checking in.

When it was our turn, we almost jokingly asked, "I don't suppose there's any chance you have a table available?" and the CM was like, "Oh well we could seat you right now if you'd like?"

So when we went inside, the couple that had been ahead of us was speaking to the hostess and I heard her telling them, "The wait could be up to 30 minutes." Not wanting to wait that long, I checked in with her and was told, "Oh you're next to be seated!" and we literally had a table inside of 2 or 3 minutes.

I watched and it took close to 20 minutes before the couple with the ADR's were seated.
    Sorry, if I had been that couple, I would have been absolutely livid that anyone without an ADR was seated before me. Sorry Ian, but your family should have been made to wait. I know if your family had been the ones with the ADR and some walk-up was seated before you, you would have been fuming.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to do the same thing on an upcoming trip for the same reason. Let's hurry! We have to get to so and so! Sheesh! Is it the end of the world if we miss an ADR? Unless maybe it's Ohana?
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! I am impressed at your leap of faith!!

I have been thinking of doing this myself...I don't if I can muster up the courage.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Being local now, we've tried out the no ADR thing quite often recently, and have had pretty good luck.

Regarding your seating at LeCellier, did it have anything to do with the couple having reserved a two top and you guys needing a four? I can somewhat understand that, but they should have still been seated first.

Post Thanks / Like

Family size can also make a difference in being able to obtain last-minute seating. We are a family of 5, and as such, seating flexibility is greatly reduced for us. If you are a family of 4 or less, your table options are much greater. Granted, some restaurants have the ability to push two 4-seat tables together to make a 6-seat table, but you need for both of them to be side-by-side and open up at the same time. I often watch smaller groups who arrive later than us at a check in station get taken before us due to the group size. So for us, we tend to like to make ADR's just to ensure we get to eat when we want to. We also find that we get immersed in the day and by the time we realize we are hungry, it is late enough that getting a walk-up seating would be much more difficult.
    Mike in KC

DVC Members since 5/01 (VB) & added SSR (8/04).

Been to WDW ~20 times. First DCL cruise in 2/08 (Western)

Recent Trips:
    SSR Treehouse Villas & DCL Wonder 3/10
    BLT/Florida Keys/AKLV 7/11

Upcoming trips:
    VB & VWL 7/12
    OKW 12/12 - 1/13
    VB/DCL Fantasy Eastern/AKLV 6/13

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Sorry, if I had been that couple, I would have been absolutely livid that anyone without an ADR was seated before me. Sorry Ian, but your family should have been made to wait. I know if your family had been the ones with the ADR and some walk-up was seated before you, you would have been fuming.
    Oh Christine, I totally agree with you. The only thing is, that couple had no idea that we didn't have ADR's, I'm sure.

Also, as will be discussed shortly, there are far fewer 2-top tables in Le Cellier than there are 4-top, so that probably contributed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Regarding your seating at LeCellier, did it have anything to do with the couple having reserved a two top and you guys needing a four? I can somewhat understand that, but they should have still been seated first.
    I'm quite certain it did, Mel. We immediately took notice that the number of two person tables was a lot less than four person tables. I'm sure that made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TinksDH View Post
    Family size can also make a difference in being able to obtain last-minute seating. We are a family of 5, and as such, seating flexibility is greatly reduced for us. If you are a family of 4 or less, your table options are much greater.
    Just for the record, we were a 5 person party for most of the trip as one of our friends traveled with us. She happened to be visiting her Mom down in Tampa when we ate at Le Cellier, which is why we were only a party of 4 at that point.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that walk-ins can still enjoy sit down meals. I was beginning to wonder about ADR controlling my trip.

I plan on doing walk-ins for our next trip. We eat when we are hungry and not on any set schedule. Being that there are just two of us I don't think we will have a difficult time.

Thanks for great post!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Christine, I totally agree with you. The only thing is, that couple had no idea that we didn't have ADR's, I'm sure.
    Also, as will be discussed shortly, there are far fewer 2-top tables in Le Cellier than there are 4-top, so that probably contributed to it.
    I'm quite certain it did, Mel. We immediately took notice that the number of two person tables was a lot less than four person tables. I'm sure that made a huge difference.
    Except whenever I make ADRs for Le Cellier, it is always a party of 2. We are usually seated within 5 minutes and almost always at 4 top. I think that is the issue I have with that host/hostess. Most Le Cellier hosts/hostesses put parties of 2 at a 4 top. I just think the person who was working messed up (though you did benefit ).
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I would guess it depends on how busy they are, Christine. If Disney can put four paying guests at a four-top table in front of 2 paying guests I'd be shocked if they didn't take that opportunity most times.

Not saying that it's right at all, but just knowing how they operate that's what I would expect them to do.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, what you're saying can be true, but that could also backfire. I know that my sister and I spend more at a meal than some families of four as we always have alcohol (usually more than 1) with our meals and order all 3 courses. You know how big of a moneymaker alcohol is for a restaurant. We can't be that unique !
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Ian, what you're saying can be true, but that could also backfire. I know that my sister and I spend more at a meal than some families of four as we always have alcohol (usually more than 1) with our meals and order all 3 courses. You know how big of a moneymaker alcohol is for a restaurant. We can't be that unique !
    Ha ha ha ...

Trust me, there is no one who consumes more alcohol on a trip to Disney World than parents with two kids in tow.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see this thread pop up. I don't like to schedule my vacation around eating, so I just say No to ADRs.

The "free" dining offers have really disrupted the spontaneity of a vacation. I'm sad that I can't just pop in to sample a restaurant like the old days.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Hearing this makes me VERY happy! I absolutely hated having to stop what we were doing every single day to make it somewhere else on time. And, with Disney transportation, we would be struggling to make it or be an hour early! So, I will just try this next time. We always travel in the very off season, so shouldn't be a problem. Last month, there were empty tables everywhere we went, except Le Cellier. But, since it wasn't that good, I don't need to go back there!

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome but I doubt it would work as well in the fall.
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post
    That's awesome but I doubt it would work as well in the fall.
    Nope. The only time I might try it in fall would be early September.

Once it gets to be MNSSHP time and the DVCers show up, I think you'd be out of luck.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. The only time I might try it in fall would be early September.

Once it gets to be MNSSHP time and the DVCers show up, I think you'd be out of luck.
    Not to mention the free dining crowd

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting your report. I hate being a slave to ADR's. On our next trip, we won't be using the dining plan, so I probably won't need to worry too much about ADR's. Whenever I pay for the dining plan, I feel like we have to make ADR's, so that we get our money's worth. I think that not purchasing the dining plan is going to make things a lot less stressful.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip was the first time we made more than 1 or 2 special (can't miss) ADRs and to be honest, our experience wasn't much different than when we didn't - either way we have been lucky enough to get in where we wanted.

So next time, we'll probably go back to the old way - making ADRs only for the can't miss stuff and playing it by ear for the rest. I'm sure it helps a lot that we are VERY flexible - we will eat lunch at 2:00 and eat dinner at 8:30pm. If we have to , we'll pick up snacks (or leftover DDP desserts) to hold us over until meal time.

We usually end up calling the dining line in the morning before we head out and just ask what is available for the park (or nearby resorts) we are visiting. We don't care if it's lunch or dinner and we're not picky on times or type of food.

Even if we don't get our first choice, we still end up happy and satisfied and it's a great way to end up trying new and different restaurants.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: