Quantcast Dhs 4 Too Young For First Trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DS 4 Too Young For First Trip

We will be taking our 4 yrd son to Disneyworld for his first trip Dec 2011 do you think he is too young to remember?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Will he remember it? Probably not later on in life. Will you remember it? Of course. I would go. Make the memroies and document it with pictures/video.

He can always look back on that trip through you and the pictures/videos/stories.

My DD has been going to Disneyland since she was 15 mos old. She is now 10. She doesn't remember way back then. I have the pictures to help her keep the memories going.

I think any age is perfect for experiencing the magic of Disney. Have a great trip
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

We took my dd to WDW when she had just turned 4 and it was a wonderful age. Everything was real to her - the things that aren't real anymore now that she's 8 - and that was priceless. She does remember some aspects of the trip since we took a lot of pictures and revisit them occasionally. Also, we have been back twice since then, so she remembers things from her first visit when we go back.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids both made their 1st trip at age 2. They are 6 and 9 and both remember most of their first trips.

Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to know what memories a child will retain. If you're going for a first trip, it sounds like you would plan on, or at least be open, to additional trips. In that case, it really doesn't matter how much remains in memory as you will have a fun family vacation and, as a parent, you will create lots of wonderful memories!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You can take this several ways, but this gets the discussion of "too young" for Disney World.

All my friends said taking my DD2 was too young. I knew going in she would not remember it. However, she remembers alot when she sees the video. Then, unbeknown to us, that my father had terminal lung cancer diagnosed 6 months later. In other words, if we decided not to go because she was "too young", my family would have never had the memory of that trip with my father.

Do not put off what you can do now because you may not be able to do it later.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    You can take this several ways, but this gets the discussion of "too young" for Disney World.

All my friends said taking my DD2 was too young. I knew going in she would not remember it. However, she remembers alot when she sees the video. Then, unbeknown to us, that my father had terminal lung cancer diagnosed 6 months later. In other words, if we decided not to go because she was "too young", my family would have never had the memory of that trip with my father.

Well said!

My DD is now 15 and we went when she was ages 9, 10 & 11. She remember her last trip the best and that is because we have videos of each day which she has watched numerous times. If you can I would video record it. DD has not only enjoyed rewatching this trip but enjoyed watching her earlier years as a toddler, etc. It will well be worth the time and investment regardless of if he remembers specifics of the trip.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

My DS4 went for the first time when he was 2, then when he was 3. Let me tell you, this kid is a Disney Maniac and a future Intercotee, he loves WDW. He remebers quite alot about it. His favorite ride is HM and he tells people about it all the time. We have 2 sing along videos with the HM song and he knows the song by heart. We also listen to the WDW park music CD in the car quite often, he talks about the rides that the songs are associated with.

Obviously not all children would have this amount of recall-DS11 doesn't remember going when he was young, but he had a great time when he was there-and we really enjoyed ourselves as a family. Live in the present!

We have a sing along video that is a day in the park at DisneyLand with the characters walking around with a group of children. This is DS4's favorite video, it helped him recognize rides in WDW, it helped him make connections to the park. He walks around open mouthed most of the time we are there, it's a hoot! He dreams about WDW and asks when we are going again.

Have fun!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

We are taking our DS3 for the first time at the end of April. I think it is the perfect time to go, he is so excited about it that he talks about going every day. We talk about the rides and the characters and we watch Disney movies to help him get to know some of the lesser known characters in Fantasyland. I personally think he will remember alot about it and he is tall enough to ride things like splash mountain and Big thunder.

Have fun and enjoy seeing the parks through your little ones eyes. That will be the best part for me!

Post Thanks / Like

We took our dd's when they were 2 almost 3. My thought was, "I will take them when they are young, they will have a blast, but then forget it and we can take them again and it will be like going for the first time all over again."

Well, they had such a great time and remembered so much, that we have been going every year since. They are 7 now and they will still mention something about that first trip. It really blows my mind that they can remember it.

So, I say NO 4 years is not too young.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post

BigRedDad , I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. God rest his soul.

We took a trip two years ago with a bunch of my family including DH's cousin (more like his brother). He is two of our four children's godfather. We lost him very suddenly almost 6 months ago at the age of 37. To be honest we are beyond devistated. Thank God we took that trip. Those memories will be forever in our hearts. Our youngest DD, his first godchild, was 10 months old on that trip. He took her out of the HDDR because I got called on stage and she was freaking out so he took her out for a walk and had their picture taken together just the two of them outside the HDDR. We keep that picture framed beside his urn. A forever special Disney day. She'll never remember that trip or him but we will cherish those memories forever and will make sure that they live on with her forever. I can't imagine never taking that trip. He was supposed to come with us this year (for our first DS, his other godchild's first trip) but never made it.

Sorry for the side track. My point is there are a lot of things that your son may or may not remember but the memories you have will be so special and you can build on them in years to come. He will love looking back at the pictures and hearing the stories of his first trip. Go, take him, and have the most amazing trip ever!!!! No age is too young!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Kat1811, you cannot recreate memories. Once the opportunity has escaped, it can never be recovered. I had not planned on going again so quickly, but it is that loss that made me realize there is more to life than work. For most of my life, my parents were single income. My dad did everything for us. In comparison, I do so little.

The way to look at the situation is whether you will enjoy the time together? She may not remember, but you sure will. Take pictures like crazy, take as much video as you can. Relive those memories so they are not forgotten or lost. The people that are telling you not to go are probably the same ones that work too much to enjoy their children or leave them with grandparents so they can get away without them.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rekenna View Post
    Obviously not all children would have this amount of recall-DS11 doesn't remember going when he was young, but he had a great time when he was there-and we really enjoyed ourselves as a family. Live in the present!
    Exactly! Four is a wonderful age to go, and I have no doubt that your son will love the experience NOW. You'll never forget watching the magic happen through his sparkling eyes.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing to add . . .

There is so much fascination and innocence in a four year old. They are SO taken with everything Disney and they seem to be in awe with everything they come in contact with. The first time you see his eyes light up when he finally discovers the magnitude of Disney will erase any doubts you may have had. Every year there is something my children do or say that is so magical it brings big tears to my eyes.

This year we are heading back "home" for another magical trip with our four children DD13, DD5, DD3, and DS1. DD5 & DD3 will be almost 6 and 4. The amazement we see in their eyes makes it worth every cent.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Will he remember? Maybe. Will you? Absolutely! We took DS when he was 2.5 in 12/09 and he still talks about it almost every day.

As an aside, we ended up purchasing the only thing he asked for the entire time we were there: Cinderella Castle Play Set. Yeah, never thought we'd buy one of those being we only have two sons...

Post Thanks / Like

I would go without hesitation. Your entire family will love it. Also, you will be there during the holiday season. It is extra magical then. Have a great time.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another "never too young" person. my two oldest went for the first time at age 3. Amazing memories for me! And through pics and videos... yes, they do remember! But really just seeing them get so excited over meeting their favorite character in person! Priceless! My 3rd had her first trip at 4 months! And I loved it! Would definitely do it again! Can't wait to introduce our newest addition to WDW next year (she'll be 17 months)!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree that you're never too young. We took our oldest DD when she was 13 mo. She had a blast and we (the adults) have wonderful memories even if she doesn't. For a long time after, anytime she would see Mickey on tv (at the time it was the commercial where he stood on top of Spaceship Earth), she would run to the tv, point and shout "Mickey!". And like a few other posters here, we have lost a loved one unexpectedly after a trip. We went when our oldest was 3, taking both sets of parents and my sister's family. 3 mos after our trip, my MIL was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer and passed away 3 mos after that. Fortunately, we have the cherished memories of that trip.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

We started taking the kids when ds was 3.5 and dd was 8 months or so. DS still talks about his first trip, and now how many times he's gone to WDW. We went when the kids were 4.5 and 1.(actually a bit older)5--that was an awful age w/dd--she was hard the terrible two's were starting, plus we hit part of spring break and a cold snap--so not a stellar trip all in all. Then last year was GREAT hands down 5.6 and almost 3, they both had a ball, they still talk about the "evil stepmother" from 1900 Park Fare all the time, about being the "captain" on Dumbo, and Aladain--this is mainly my 3.5 year talking now. My 6 year old talks about every inch of the Dinosaur ride daily, and BTM. So kids remember lots, and they do take it all in. If you can afford it, go for it you won't regret it at all!
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

I just last month read an article about how young too young for parks etc. What they said in a nutshell is that most young children probably won't remember but you the adult will and isn't that worth a ton!!!! The memories you will have of that first visit will be etched in your brain forever wether your child is 6 months or 17 years.
    Plus it is all so real to them at 3 and 4!! I remember my DD being just starstruck by the characters, she was speechless for he first time in her life!! DHS has so many great characters to see and Playhouse Disney, which many have outgrown by 5 or 6. Also at 3 EPCOT was DD's favorite because we spent the afternoon going from country to country just meeting characters that appear and collecting charms for her mask at kidcot locations. There is something for every age group at every park!! Plus DD is almost 6 now and remembers quite a bit from her 3 yo trip!!
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR