Quantcast 'Ohana

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Ohana

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Ohana

Can someone tell me what's so special about 'Ohana? I have seen so many people rave about it...but why? I am really intrigued to go, but is it a good place for adults? There will be 3 or 4 of us from 28-55. Thanks!
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

'Ohana is perfect for adults and in my opinion the food is great Make sure you come with an appetite.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's our favorite. The food, atmosphere, energy of the place, the views, all just wonderful. Family style meal, salad, wings, dumplings, noodles, and a variety of wood grilled meats on skewers, all with amazing dipping sauces..(try the peanut sauce!!!!)..then its topped off with banana bread pudding. This is a feel good place for adults and kids alike.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jenperich View Post
    Can someone tell me what's so special about 'Ohana? I have seen so many people rave about it...but why?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

I've eaten there three times total and all three times I've had some of the worst meals I've ever had on property. Nasty!

Mine is obviously a minority opinion here, but if you want my advice steer clear!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had bad food at 'Ohana. I think it's a very fun place, great atmosphere, good for all ages. Yes, I've had better meals on property at some of the Signature dining locations, but I don't go to 'Ohana for fine dining. The food is served in courses, family style, and then the main dish is flame-grilled meat skewers. I'm not a big fan of the meat skewers, actually. But I'm usually pretty full by then. I love the chicken wings and the salad, and I always try to save room for the incredible dessert. Oh, and I always have a Lapu Lapu (rum and juice drink served in pineapple) because it just fits so well with the festive atmosphere.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me what's so special about 'Ohana?
    Nothing...

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Views of this restaurant/meal really are pretty much polar opposites. I guess you just have to go and see for yourself. I have gone to places others have hated and ended up loving the place. Not only at WDW, but other places as well. And, likewise, I have hated places that others love - Texas Roadhouse for example. I guess that's why it's such a wonderful world. None of us like the same things.

We are actually doing the O'Hana character breakfast for the first time on our upcoming trip, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to have to form my own opinion on it because the opinions on it are as polar as the opinions on the dinner.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

I personally loved it. I thought the food was very good and the atmosphere was very nice too. My DH did not like it- he said too much going on and felt rushed. Good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Ate there just last weekend for the first time, and loved it. If you like bbq at all, you will love it.....I can only imagine that the people with the over the top negative reviews weren't fans of bbq to begin with, and just made a bad choice of restaurant.

Great Chicken Wing appetizers, salad, and all you can eat barbecued sirloin tips, pork loin, turkey tips, and shrimp...with delicious broccoli and lo-mein type noodles, all followed up with a great dessert (bread pudding with vanilla bean ice cream and warm caramel sauce).

As a pp already said, you really have to decide for yourself, because no matter how many times these questions get asked, the reviews are always 50 - 50.
    FFRDA
    1990 + 1992 Grosvenor
    1993 Gr. Floridian
    1995 Off Prop.
    1997 Contemporary
    1998 ASMu
    2000 Disney Institute
    2001 ASMov
    2002 P.O.F.Q.
    2003 Doubletree LBV
    2004 P.O.R.
    2007 (March)Residence Inn
    2007 (DEC) All Star VAC Home
    2008 Residence Inn
    2010 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also depends on the time that you go....

We love any meal at ohana's but, don't let that steer your opinion

Breakfast - when we've gone fairly early (like between 7-8 am, it has been fairly empty and mostly adults. This was our first sitdown meal at WDW (on our honeymoon) and it was perfect. By the time we left, it was full and roudy. Now that I'm a parent, we'll go later so that the kids aren't the only kids there! Love the big family style platters, love the bread!

Dinner - we've gone 2 times for dinner. The first was excellent, we had a table that was close to a window and to the grill. It was full but, quieter. I think we had an earlier dinner. The 2nd visit, i got a later ressie so that we could be there for Wishes and I'm sure everyone in the place was doing the same thing. We were seated on the back side of the grill and at first I was kind of mad about the seats but, after dinner was a bit happy that we weren't in the middle of all the hupla. After all, we had just driven 9 hours and rushed to get to our 6:40 ADR's. The kids were stir crazy from being in the car and rushed to dinner. But, the food - especially the beef and shrimp - were better than I remembered. Maybe the 20 hour/2 day drive made everything more magical that trip!

Everytime we have brough someone new with us to WDW, we have always brought them to Ohana's as the first real meal at WDW. And everyone has raved about the Ohana meal (no matter dinner or breakfast) and the Poly resort. But, then again, we are Pacific Islanders and the whole resort is like really coming home to us.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

here goes another positve review, me and dw absolutely love Ohana's, and think that it's one of the best resturants in WDW. The service , atmosphere, food are all excellent, whats not to to like about grilled meats????? Not to mention that they have some of the best chicken wings that we've ever eaten. we like so much that we usually start and end our dining experience around it. even the breakfest at ohana's is very good. there are definetly more positive reviews than negative imho, and to those who have had bad experinces there ,

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    here goes another positve review, me and dw absolutely love Ohana's, and think that it's one of the best resturants in WDW. The service , atmosphere, food are all excellent, whats not to to like about grilled meats????? Not to mention that they have some of the best chicken wings that we've ever eaten. we like so much that we usually start and end our dining experience around it. even the breakfest at ohana's is very good. there are definetly more positive reviews than negative imho, and to those who have had bad experinces there ,

Victor

This is one of those meals that we recreate at home several times. Its our "go to" Disney dinner night menu... especially in the summer when the grill gets more use than the stove.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ffrda View Post
    If you like bbq at all, you will love it.....I can only imagine that the people with the over the top negative reviews weren't fans of bbq to begin with, and just made a bad choice of restaurant.
    Actually, that's precisely why I didn't like it. I enjoy good BBQ ... this just doesn't happen to be it.

The meat I had was either dramatically overcooked and very, very dry (not to mention largely tasteless), dramatically undercooked and cold, or (in the case of the chicken wing appetizers) cold and obviously microwaved as they were as rubbery as anything.

I've had truly great BBQ all across the country, including Georgia and Texas where some of the best BBQ in the world is made. O'hana's is not good BBQ.

And before anyone says it ... this was not based on one experience. I have had dinner there three times and the experience was identical all three times. And it wasn't just me ... all three times my entire party found the food near inedible.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Our favourite from our last trip! We were a late ADR and seated in a quiet area, so that suited us perfectly. My husband and I loved the food - my kids aren't as keen ont he BBQ meat dishes and the peel and eat shrimp, but the banana bread pudding more than made up for that ;-) Hubby has made me promise we'll got TWICE on our next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Actually, that's precisely why I didn't like it. I enjoy good BBQ ... this just doesn't happen to be it.

The meat I had was either dramatically overcooked and very, very dry (not to mention largely tasteless), dramatically undercooked and cold, or (in the case of the chicken wing appetizers) cold and obviously microwaved as they were as rubbery as anything.

I've had truly great BBQ all across the country, including Georgia and Texas where some of the best BBQ in the world is made. O'hana's is not good BBQ.

And before anyone says it ... this was not based on one experience. I have had dinner there three times and the experience was identical all three times. And it wasn't just me ... all three times my entire party found the food near inedible.
    If the food was THAT bad.....why go back once.....let alone TWICE afterwards????!?!!!?!?!?! Just curious........
    FFRDA
    1990 + 1992 Grosvenor
    1993 Gr. Floridian
    1995 Off Prop.
    1997 Contemporary
    1998 ASMu
    2000 Disney Institute
    2001 ASMov
    2002 P.O.F.Q.
    2003 Doubletree LBV
    2004 P.O.R.
    2007 (March)Residence Inn
    2007 (DEC) All Star VAC Home
    2008 Residence Inn
    2010 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it, but others in my party were less than thrilled with the entertainment and food. The best surprise this past trip was Cirque du Soileil - WAY better than Ohana!
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I've never eaten there for dinner, but we did have a character breakfast there a few years back. It was one of the worst dining experiences we've ever had a WDW. We had ADR's, but it still took us 45 minutes to be seated. Once we were seated, our server brought everything out to our table VERY quickly. While I understand that Disney encourages fast table turnovers, we felt like things were extremely rushed. For some reason, the characters kept skipping our table, which did not make our young children happy. We finished our meal without seeing ANY characters. Our server had cleared everything from our table and had presented us with the bill, yet we hadn't seen one character. I told her that we weren't leaving until we saw at least ONE character. So we waited, and waited, and waited....finally I tracked down a manager, and we were able to get a character to our table. My kids were happy, but my husband and I vowed never to return. I don't mind paying an inflated price for breakfast food, if the experience is there. But, this was way beyond anything we'd ever encountered at any Disney restaurant.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ffrda View Post
    If the food was THAT bad.....why go back once.....let alone TWICE afterwards????!?!!!?!?!?! Just curious........
    A fair question with a relatively simple answer.

The first time I went back it had been several years since I'd eaten there. I have had numerous Disney dining experiences where I've just randomly gotten one bad meal at a restaurant never to have that problem again, so it was reasonable to go back and give it another shot.

The third time I went under extreme duress and protest. Someone in my traveling party just insisted we had to eat there ... I protested vigorously but finally conceded to the group.

They were all equally as disappointed with it as I was.

I can, however, 100% assure you that I will not make the mistake of going back for attempt #4.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

The grilled meat at 'Ohana is NOT BBQ, and does not pretend to be nor is it advertised as such. BBQ is meat that is SLOW cooked (for hours) over low heat, usually with lots of smoke. Don't confuse BBQ with flame cooked grilled meat, which is what is served at 'Ohana.

That being said, if you liked grilled meat (which I do) you'll be happy at 'Ohana. You can have all you can eat, and we've never had a bad meal there. Yes, I've had a better grilled meat at other places, but the food at 'Ohana is still very good and the entire atmosphere is what makes it one of our favorites. The open fire grill, the live music, the kids games, the fireworks view, it's just a FUN family place.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I went for my first time on my last trip based on alot of reviews. I have to agree with the majority of them that the place was awesome.

There was alot of food that I normally would not eat if I had a choice but everything tasted great. I was glad I tried some new things.

The view was spectacular from inside there as well. To see the magic kingdom from such a nice location was very cool.

I went in with not a lot of expectations and I left feeling very full and excited about visiting it again (We have a trip planned in July/August and Ohana's is on our list)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: