Quantcast 'Ohana - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Ohana

Post Thanks / Like

Ohana's is a must do on any of our WDW trips. A trip just wouldn't be complete without a meal here. We tend to do both dinner and breakfast on every trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    The grilled meat at 'Ohana is NOT BBQ, and does not pretend to be nor is it advertised as such. BBQ is meat that is SLOW cooked (for hours) over low heat, usually with lots of smoke. Don't confuse BBQ with flame cooked grilled meat, which is what is served at 'Ohana.

That being said, if you liked grilled meat (which I do) you'll be happy at 'Ohana. You can have all you can eat, and we've never had a bad meal there. Yes, I've had a better grilled meat at other places, but the food at 'Ohana is still very good and the entire atmosphere is what makes it one of our favorites. The open fire grill, the live music, the kids games, the fireworks view, it's just a FUN family place.
    I agree 100%. I'm from Oklahoma where BBQ is serious business and Ohana is not BBQ. However, it is good. Not the best meal I've ever had, but the draw for us is a combination of food, atmosphere, and fun for the kids.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't find me raving about it either. I've been there a couple of times and it's too much meat and too much waste (a pet peeve of mine at restaurants--I bet you could feed a small city with the amount of food that is thrown away each evening at Ohana)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I went to 'Ohana for the first time this past fall and we LOVED it. My father owned a meat market growing up and he and my husband both love to grill - so it was definitely our kind of restaurant.

But, aside from the food, the atmosphere and servers were also wonderful!

We couldn't get a time during the fireworks, but we went a little earlier and had a widow seat where we could watch the sun set and see the castle - very romatic! When we finished our dinner, we just walked out to the beach to watch Wishes.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

We have always had a good meal there. I think everyone should try it at least once and decide for yourself. Food is very subjective. Ian, it's a shame you had a bad experience 3 times. You won't catch me at Crystal Palace again for the same reasons and that usually gets great reviews.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenperich View Post
    Can someone tell me what's so special about 'Ohana? I have seen so many people rave about it...but why? I am really intrigued to go, but is it a good place for adults? There will be 3 or 4 of us from 28-55. Thanks!
    In our opinion, 'OHana is one of the best restaurants on property. The food, the atmosphere and the service keep us coming back. If you have an all adult group, you might asked to be seated outside the center of the dining room - they have a lot of fun events going on with the kids during the course of the evening. If that's not your bag, you can be seated away from it - but it can be a lot of fun to watch!

We find the variety of food to be amazing - if you love meat, there's all you can eat. The salad is amazing. And the bread pudding dessert is probably one of the top 3 desserts at WDW. If you have not been there and it interests you, I'd recommend you give it a try for yourself. I think you'll find there will be a majority of good reviews here on Intercot, with some very negative responses. The only way to know for sure is to try it! Hope you get the chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    The grilled meat at 'Ohana is NOT BBQ, and does not pretend to be nor is it advertised as such. BBQ is meat that is SLOW cooked (for hours) over low heat, usually with lots of smoke. Don't confuse BBQ with flame cooked grilled meat, which is what is served at 'Ohana.
    You stole the words directly from my fingers. 'Ohana does not qualify as barbecue, nor does it claim to be. Try a true barbecue restaurant in Tennessee or Oklahoma. No resemblance whatsoever.

I have read plenty of negative reviews of 'Ohana lately. So Ian, even if people here think you're crazy, I am not particularly surprised by your sentiments. Fortunately, I have never had a bad experience there.

Like many others, 'Ohana's dinner ranks among my favorite Disney restaurants. The grilled meats have always been cooked perfectly. Any dryness is easily offset by the delicious dipping sauces. Anyway, I can make a meal of the chicken wings and bread pudding and leave quite happy.

For those of you who do not enjoy 'Ohana, please do not imitate Ian and try it three times. It's hard enough to get a reservation there.

:tasty;
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the long wait times and sometimes crazy service due to the many folks who dine here, Ohana's dinner is on our "must do" list at least once every trip. We ensure that our server knows that DS and I like "red" meat, and that DH likes "well done". Just like every restaurant at Disney, there will be the and the . You can only decide once you try it on what side of the fence you're on. We never restrict ourselves to dining reports on the boards after this many repeated trips to Disney - all I can state is to try it - kind of like Green Eggs & Ham . . .

As far as BBQ - no way. We spend 10-15 hours per week on BBQ'ing all types of meat in the heart of the midwest during all seasons, and we would never classify Ohana as BBQ!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

To the original poster...

here is a link to another thread (food allergy specific) with my review of Ohana on our last October trip.

it is about 4 replies down.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162703
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Was there March 1st-food was great and had window seat for wishes. My 6 yr old loves the food and hula class!

2010-CSR
    2007-Beach Club
    1997-Carribean Beach
    1885--off site
    Tina

1990-off site
    1997-Carribean Beach
    2007- Beach Club
    Next Trip-March 2010- CS

Post Thanks / Like

Let's put it this way--Just booked our surprise July trip and the first thing I did was make ADR's for Ohana's for TWO nights! (And we're going our first night on upcoming April trip with DD....And DH and I went on TWO nights on our last trip in November......)
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN!

Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

For me the good food is just a piece of what makes a restaurant great!

We love 'Ohana becuase of the ambiance and the great food. When you are in there you really feel like you are on vacation. The music food and service is fun. I believe that this place is good for all ages.

Ambiance and good food is the way we chose all of our WDW dining options.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I guess that I have been lucky, I have enjoyed every meal at 'Ohanas. It's not a restaurant that we do each trip (although I could quite easily!). Like others have said, give it a try!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been twice, once for breakfast and it was great and once for dinner. DH loved the dinner even though reservations were hard to get and wants to go back for dinner again this trip but I thought the kids would enjoy breakfast better with the characters. I thought the dinner entertainment was cheesy. There was way too much food for two people but if there were more people at our table, there would have been plenty. This kind of food isn't my favorite but it right up DH's alley. He loved it. It was nice and different but if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick the breakfast.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Nothing...
    ??? Wow. It's my favorite restaurant at WDW. The views overlooking the lagoon with hints of the MK. The open pit fire grill where they cook the meats in the center of the room. The service is fantastic as is the food. There is entertainment provided. And I absolutely love every course & item that they serve to eat from the salad straight through every course including desert. I always leave with an overstuffed belly and a happy feeling.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Ian on this one for several reasons. The first being that 'Ohana has been home to some of the worst meals I've ever had at WDW. And, like Ian, I did make repeated attempts at the place, figuring I just hit it on an off night.

No such luck.

Consistent bad service, consistent poor meat (and poorly cooked).

There are so many wonderful places to dine in WDW, and for the price, you can find much better meals. I am, admittedly, a bit of a food snob (not a huge fan of buffets or family style servings), but this place is hands down just way too over-rated.

And what I can't get is how many people just love the place and rave about it. Have you never been to Citricos? Narcoosee's? California Grill? All of which are a short monorail ride away???

I know that I'll be criticized for these feelings, but I've been to 'Ohana 3 times within the past 9 years (spread out over sufficient time) - the place has done nothing but disappoint.

Sorry!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post

And what I can't get is how many people just love the place and rave about it. Have you never been to Citricos? Narcoosee's? California Grill? All of which are a short monorail ride away???
    1. All of which require 2 TS credits on the dining plan
    2. None of which are "all you can eat".

I had a GREAT meal at California Grill. But my husband left hungry, and the tip alone would buy dinner for two back home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    1. All of which require 2 TS credits on the dining plan
    What does the Dining Plan have to do with this thread?

Put me down in the category. Most of the meats etc. were dry and overcooked. I suppose I'd give it another chance if I was with a group that wanted to go, but I would not recommend it.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    What does the Dining Plan have to do with this thread?

Put me down in the category. Most of the meats etc. were dry and overcooked. I suppose I'd give it another chance if I was with a group that wanted to go, but I would not recommend it.
    What it has to DO with it is that I can afford Ohana's. I can't afford to eat at too many places that cost twice the price. The implication of the poster I was responding to is that I could have a better experience for a short monorail ride - but at that rate, I'd only be able to eat every second day ;-) I'm sure I'm not alone in that!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: