Quantcast So Disney is on the cheap...again

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So Disney is on the cheap...again

On our last trip to the World, staying at CBR, I was very disappointed to have a conversation with a worker at the resort about why they had all if not just most of the CBR specific items at such a markdown sale price. Yes, I was glad to get some bargains. As I did get a few t-shirts, photo albums, key rings, magnets, glasses and a mouse pad.

But she says the reason they are doing this is to eventually make all souvie's a Disney logo only? Has anyone else heard this. She says soon it will be the end to resort specific items, just like the mugs.

Even as far as the ammenities (shower gel), yes I realize they sell these h2O items now, but I didn't know they wouldn't give you any shower gel at all. Yes, I did ask and they told me it was not available. Anywho, maybe they've been doing these things a while and I just didn't notice. Or maybe was in denial.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I can't imagine it quite happening that way across the board. Maybe I'm in denial. But the Grand Floridian always has some GF specific gifts (and they seem to sell pretty well). Similarly, shopping at the Poly is a fairly unique experience. Also, at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really can't imagine them doing away with all the unique items. Maybe in some cases. But having themed merchandise adds to our reason to resort hop and shop around. It seems it would be a loss to go to standard items across the board. But then, when I resort hop, I usually don't make special trips to Values and Moderates, so maybe the Deluxes will maintain some individuality in this? It's hard to say.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised to see tiering hit the gift shops as well. IF this is true, I'm sure they have done their homework and have figured that they will save X amount of money by going generic vs losing Y amount amount of money by people not buying the generic stuff. If X is greater than Y, then they move forward.

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that those staying in a deluxe have more disposable income to drop on more expensive (unique) items and it may be the start of the tiering. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the number of unique/custom items dwindled as well. The cost per widget goes down the more widgets you order. This is the rationale behind the mugs and translates over to sweatshirts, t-shirts, magnets, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I always like to pick up a baseball cap with the Resort name on it every trip but when we were at POFQ last Oct. I could not find anything even went to POR to see if they had anything but nothing there either. I did get one for CSR when we stayed there part of the trip.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting this. Now, I'm going to be on a mission in October to find resort specific items. - that is if they still have them then.

I like to have SOMETHING (ususally a magnet) with each of the resorts to remember my trips. I've got the whole front of a fridge to cover!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we bought almost nothing. It was pitiful.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this wouldn't include pins.
    POR (Honeymoon) - 1997
    ASMovies - 2007
    CBR - May 23-June 1, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I'm truly hoping this isn't the case, but when we were at AKL last Oct., other than a couple of clothing items, NOTHING was specific to AKL, not even postcards or magnets or pins. (There was a keychain & a mug, now that I remember, as I bought them... ) But I do remember asking about it, and all I was told was that they weren't making as many items, and what I was interested in was "backordered", and they weren't sure when, if ever, they'd re-appear.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

The cynic in me thinking that this is a marketing ploy. Get everybody to buy up the inventory thinking it’s their last chance. Then get everybody to buy the generic stuff because it will be new and different. Then in a couple years bring back the specific stuff again and everybody will want that. Brilliant!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

good thing there's always ebay.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    Last year we bought almost nothing. It was pitiful.
    Only last year? I haven't spent anything significant since about 2004...

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    The cynic in me thinking that this is a marketing ploy. Get everybody to buy up the inventory thinking it’s their last chance. Then get everybody to buy the generic stuff because it will be new and different. Then in a couple years bring back the specific stuff again and everybody will want that. Brilliant!
    I don't think they are that smart. They don't think that far ahead, it's all about short term profits.

Post Thanks / Like

There was plenty of resort-specific stuff at the Poly in February.

Post Thanks / Like

How can this be smart for profits if it sounds like nobody wants to buy anything? Most of the generic stuff doesn't interest me. I'd me much more likely to buy POFQ merchandise.
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

See ... this is what happens when accountants run creative companies. They just don't understand their own audience.

I can tell you exactly why this may be happening (not saying it is, but I have heard this rumor for awhile now so it's probably got legs).

Everyone knows that merch sales in WDW have been way off target for a couple years now. This means profits are down. They've tried various ways to get people to spend more money on merchandise, including Fastpass, the Disney Dining Plan, etc. but it hasn't had the results they wanted.

My guess is they've decided that if they can't boost sales volume then they need to boost margin which means (as Rox pointed out) they need to buy things in bigger bulk at a lower per-unit price. How do you do that? By making everything the same.

Now, of course, we all know that the fact that everything is the same is one of the main reasons no one is buying the garbage they're selling anymore. But since the accountants never come down from the Ivory Towers to talk to the "reg'lar folk" they don't know that.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been told that (or even if they're own internal surveys showed that) and they've somehow talked themselves into believing it isn't true. For some reason I have a feeling accountants wouldn't like admitting to themselves that people aren't interested in buying generic, cheap, made-in-China garbage with a set of mouse ears printed on it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's very sad - I used to come home from a trip with at least a couple of tee shirts, a magnet or two, and a few other assorted items. On my last 2 trips, I doubt if I spent $20 on souvenirs. The quality has gotten so bad that I'm no longer interested in most of the things for sale.

I got the Birthday Fun Card last year, and I haven't used it up yet. I'm having trouble finding things I want even when they are free!! Pretty sad, if you ask me!

Post Thanks / Like

that Stinks!!! I love the resort stuff. I have a baseball collection with different resorts on each.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Only last year? I haven't spent anything significant since about 2004...

I don't think they are that smart. They don't think that far ahead, it's all about short term profits.
    Hadn't been since '05. In fact some of the merchandise was the same.

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    It's very sad - I used to come home from a trip with at least a couple of tee shirts, a magnet or two, and a few other assorted items. On my last 2 trips, I doubt if I spent $20 on souvenirs. The quality has gotten so bad that I'm no longer interested in most of the things for sale.

I got the Birthday Fun Card last year, and I haven't used it up yet. I'm having trouble finding things I want even when they are free!! Pretty sad, if you ask me!
    It's pretty sad stuff. Couldn't find one decent T. I sure wasn't paying $30 for one that looked worn and cracked.

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it won't be the same across the board, such as at the deluxe resorts. Because when we went to our ressies at the Deluxe's (Poly, AKL and GF) we made it a point to stop at the shops and I didn't notice their stuff on sale like at CBR.

But like previously posted it's hard to say. Though I do keep in mind the mugs...
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been told that (or even if they're own internal surveys showed that) and they've somehow talked themselves into believing it isn't true. For some reason I have a feeling accountants wouldn't like admitting to themselves that people aren't interested in buying generic, cheap, made-in-China garbage with a set of mouse ears printed on it.
    Well, it is a lot cheaper to mass produce a lot of the same stuff vs offering lots of different stuff, so this practice could have actually increased profits, or at least set off loss. Which means that they wouldn't really mind if they're selling less of it if they're still seeing a better profit or less profit loss in the end. Sad for us, good for their bottom line. Possibly.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: