Quantcast Coral Reef... Why such extremes???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coral Reef... Why such extremes???

Coral Reef seems to be the one restaurant that people either love or hate. Why is this? We are trying it for the first time this trip. I booked this for Mother's Day lunch. I thought it was a good mix of entertainment for my 5 yr old, but also a more grown-up meal for my Mother's Day celebration. Will I be disappointed?
    If only everyone was as happy as Goofy is...
    89 - offsite
    90 - Disneyland
    93- offsite
    May 01 - POR
    May 06 - AKL
    February/March 07 - CS
    Nov/Dec 07 - Offsite
    Sept/Oct 08 - POFQ and DCL Wonder
    May 10 - WL
    Nov 12 - AoA
    Nov 14 - CBR

Next trip - January 2016- POR - My first 1/2 Marathon

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have always liked it there. It's not spectacular, but good food. Your 5 yr old will love the aquarium.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

We are one of those who consider this a "must do". I thought that the steak I had there tasted just as good as the steak I had at Le Cellier. And I love steak.

We also think that it's the perfect combination of entertainment for the little ones, while being somewhat educational, without providing a childish atmosphere. And we've never had bad service here.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there, the food was good, but the service, while adiquate, was not as "friendly" as in other places. Maybe that's the difference. It didn't feel as "Disney" to us. That being said, we would go back with no problem.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I was slightly disappointed. We probably won't do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been several times, some good some bad. I agree...the servers might not be so great but the food in general is quite good. I miss the little fish butters though....
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I chalk it up to the environment. There don't seem to be as many choices geared to the smaller ones, or even 'tweens.' Fish and steak are anywhere from OK to very good, depending on the day, and the service for us has never been above "ok to good" ... and usually it's too cold.

Aside from that, how many other places can you chomp down on some beef while waving at a school of scuba divers? It's not a must see, but it "can be" nice.

I'd pick Le Cellier over this, hands down.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I've been twice, both times for an evening meal. The first time our food was outstanding. I rated it as one of the best seafood meals ever, anywhere. The service was also exceptional. We were seated on the first floor, so we had a wonderful view of the aquarium. My family had such a good experience that they begged to go back.

The second time just didn't live up to our expectations. The Reef was apparently having a tough night, as we were seated nearly an hour after our reservation. The place was backed, and full of hungry, unhappy, crying children. The food was good, but not great. And the service staff showed signs of fatigue. It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't a "great meal."

If we go back, we'll try to pick a time when the crowds are not as heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

We've dined there twice at lunch time and we always had a good experience. The food was good, our service was good, and the atmosphere was very nice. The kids and us adults enjoyed the view of the aquarium and spotting fish and divers. My husband and I happen to love thier lobster bisque, probably the best I've had anywhere. Not sure about the mixed reviews- but then again our fav place 'Ohana gets some terrible reviews here and in 9 years of dining there we've never had any terrible food or service.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think it may depend on the service?

We've been here a couple of times and we finally decided after the last visit that it just wasn't worth our dining points. I think the restaurant used to be considered a little "fancier" and the service was better. In recent years, the service really has fallen (my main complaint) and there were so many food items taken off the menu (my husband's main complaint) that the whole experience has really lost a lot of the charm. My DH used to be a HUGE Coral Reef fan (we've had our photo taken with the sign. LOL!) and now we don't even consider going there anymore. We will likely give it a try in another year or two to see if anything has changed. Little things are always changing around WDW so you just never know. The aquarium is very nice though for kids AND adults and I believe everyone should try new things so if you'd like to give it a go - have a great time and post when you return so that we can all hear about how it is!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's because this is supposed to be a seafood restaurant but it lacks an extensive seafood menu and it often has a staff that seems either harried or indifferent. For some reason, they haven't always got it together here - sometimes it shows in the service, sometimes in the food. However, I do have to say that we've eaten there and enjoyed it and someday will do it again once we've hit the other places in Epcot that we want to try.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

You are correct, this restaurant probably has the most extremes with its reviews. Personally, we'll never go back again, as we had 2 very disappointing experiences. That being said, I really would not try to persuade anyone to avoid it just because of our experiences - there are lots of people who enjoy it (even love it there). For us, there are too many other places that we like a lot better - but I hope you have a great experience and enjoy the meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Having been in the restaurant business, I can say the the main reason that any particular restaurant will get reviews that tend to extremes is due to one word: Inconsistency.

If a restaurant is average most of the time, it will tend to get mostly average reviews. But if a restaurant can't be consistent, some days it will be really good, and others it will be really bad. Thus you get the "loved it" or "hated it" reviews. Choose to eat at one of these places and you could easily get either result. You are taking a chance that you will hit it on a good day, Or not.

Then you have the ones that are consistently excellent, which get mostly very good reviews (note that there are some people who cannot ever be pleased) and then there are restaurants that are consistently bad, which usually go out of business, unless they have a captive audience for consumers, like a concession stand at an sports arena or a restaurant at a Resort of Theme park, where they are going to get a lot of business without really trying.

And that about explains the gamut of restaurants at WDW. You can decide which ones fit which category.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at the Coral Reef last summer for a late lunch and found it to be very good. Our server was very good, the atmosphere was fun and everyone in our family enjoyed their meal.
    March/April 1999- Dixie Landings
    September 2005- POR
    August 2006- ASMo
    August 2007- CBR
    August 2008- ASMu
    August 2009- ASMu/CBR
    December 2009- Y/B Club
    August 2010- ASMu
    August 2011- AKL
    August 2012- CSR/CBR
    July 2014- GF
    August 2015- CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Having been in the restaurant business, I can say the the main reason that any particular restaurant will get reviews that tend to extremes is due to one word: Inconsistency.
    Gee, that's what I was trying to say - only I couldn't think of the word inconsistency!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of reasons for a restaurant failing to provide a consistently good experience for its customers, but usually those factors can be controlled by really good management. It is also difficult for a restaurant to be consistently excellent when it tries to have too varied a menu or tries to be all things to all people. The best restaurants are those who do only a few things very well and stick to just those things. They know what they are good at and concentrate on their specialty. I think Coral reef has some problems in this area. At least that's been our experience.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Cr

I guess I'm one of the people who is not on the extreme on this restaurant. We only went once a few years back and thought it was good - not great. Service was a little slow, but not awful. The atmosphere was neat. I guess it just didn't blow us away or turn us off.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at Coral Reef for the second time in Dec. 09. I did not care for it too much the first time, but had read some good reviews. For what I thought was a seafood restuarant, there was not much seafood on the menu. Small portions, overpriced, noisy.

Post Thanks / Like

It used to be great! how can you have a seafood restaurant and not serve LOBSTER anymore ? as much as I hate to say it the DP is killing all of the menu selections at all of the restaurants in Epcot.what it used to be, isn't anything close to what it is now.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    There are a lot of reasons for a restaurant failing to provide a consistently good experience for its customers, but usually those factors can be controlled by really good management.
    I agree that management makes all the difference. I wonder if Disney ever hears about the complaints for this and other restaurants, or if they just go into a black hole.

I've noticed a recurring theme with certain restaurants - either bad food, bad service, or both.

Isn't Disney paying attention and trying to do something?
    Just Jill.......

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: