Quantcast Our first real, big, family vacation! Day One-Travel and Arrival.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our first real, big, family vacation! Day One-Travel and Arrival.

Cast:

Me-31
    DH-31
    DS Max-5
    DS Lucas-4

Special appearances by:
    MIL: Hilda
    BIL: Victor-22

They would be coming in on Friday night, and leaving Monday morning. Hilda is a teacher so couldn't take more time off. Victor hadn't been to WDW since our wedding! They also had a BC CL room booked using the military discount (MIL has a dependent ID).

So, we had to fly from CA to FL. We waffled on the best way to accomplish this with one child who has a hard time sitting still for more than 5 minutes (Max) and another who is DEATHLY afraid of airplanes (Lucas). We considered ALL the options, and finally settled on Jet Blue out of Long Beach Airport. It was a combination of the t.v.'s and the 2x2 seating on the aircraft type flying the route (an Embraer A90?). I knew we would ALL be more comfortably not having to share rows with strangers. Our kids can be (to the outsider), annoying and very touchy feely with other people...it's part of their issues. I was all confident about this arrangement, UNTIL DH's aunt (who lives in Long Beach) told me that at that airport, you have to board/deboard the plane the old fashioned way...on the tarmac! Oh no... I knew this would send Lucas into a major panic attack, and worried about it for weeks! This kid would tremble, scream, and cry uncontrollably as well as yell "bye bye" whenever I even SPOKE about our vacation and the airplane trip. I was really worried. He was NOT into this vacation at all. He has developed some really major fears recently, and his speech problems make it very hard for him to both understand and communicate effectively.

The night before the flight, DH had a work thing (of course) and would not be home until close to 6am the morning of our flight. So, I had to handle all the packing and last minute stuff, which I did pretty well, I think. However, I got all of 4 hours of sleep that night. I was so nervous about the next day, and just kept praying that Lucas would be okay, and we would not get kicked off the plane. I had a rolling backpack packed FULL for each child with everything imaginable to keep them occupied during the 6 hours in the air.

Our flight was to depart at 10am, and we were on the road to the airport by 7:45 for the 20 min ride. I had heard that LGB was a small airport, but I was not expecting it to be THAT small. Wow, is all I can say. It was about the size of half a Target store. The WHOLE airport...

Lucas cried and hid in his stroller while we waited for our flight to board. I mentioned my concerns to the gate attendant who passed along word to the crew that there might be a "difficult" child on board, and to give me time to calm him before intervening. When it came time to board, I took a deep breath (my heart was pounding in my chest, and I felt like I was going to throw up, so I can only imagine how Lucas was feeling...), marched outside with the stroller, and....nothing! Lucas was totally fine. He got out of his stroller and marched up the ramp holding my hand. He had a minor meltdown when he couldn't sit in the first seat he saw (we were in row 20), but he got over it quickly, buckled in next to me, and was a DREAM the whole ride! We had a brief stopover in Autsin, where we ate lunch I had packed (Lucas didn't eat...I think he was so nervous about the flight that he just sat quietly and watched t.v. or colored, but lost his appetite completely)!

We landed at MCO around 6:30pm (3:30pm to us) and since we had used the DME bag tags, proceeded to the food court for some food for us all. Lucas, especially, needed to eat, and he LOVES Chick Fil A, so that was a savior for us (and something comforting for him after such a rough day). We shared some food, while the boys enjoyed being able to walk around and look at the fish in the tank for awhile. We took our time. We were in no hurry. We were on VACATION. Ahhhh....it felt really good.

We made our way down to the DME buses, and were on our way to the BC within about 15 min. The boys LOVED the bus ride! They were captivated by that movie and sat next to each other. It was very cute. DH and I enjoyed the ride, for the first time all day NOT having to find a way to entertain them, and actually being able to sit next to each other.

We arrived at BC close to 8:30pm. We were taken up to the fifth floor by a very nice CM named Erik. When we got upstairs, our packet and keys were all ready to go. I had emailed IPO back and forth for a few special needs prior to the trip, and they had been SO helpful and friendly. One of our requests was for a room with a daybed for Max, because he will NOT sleep in a shared bed. Since we were only a party of 4, this could not be guaranteed, but the IPO CM assured me she would "have a hand" in the room assignment, so I felt pretty confident we'd get that daybed. After putting our credit card down on the KTTW card, we were directed to our room, #5687. We made our way there, and the boys were VERY excited to see the room (they love hotels). Since it was night, and I had never been to BC, I was quite disoriented at this point. We had been down two long hallways, and turned a corner, and I had NO idea where in the resort we were. .

We opened the door and I sighed with relief to see the daybed. The boys began exploring, and since turn down service had happened, the beds were covered with chocolates, which the boys made a beeline to. We let them indulge. We didn't care at that point. They were happy. We were happy. It was all good. I began to unpack the "bath and bedtime" stuff from the carryon. Our plan was to go get some dinner, and then come back and unpack (hoping our bags had arrived via DME) and get the boys in bed by 10:30 or so (7:30 their time...normal bedtime for them). We figured that they'd not adjust to the time change, and we sort of didn't want them to. Would mean later nights out and morning sleeping in. So, DH and I agreed to keep them on CA time, if possible.

While I was organizing things, DH said "let's see what kind of view we have." We had booked a Standard View CL room, so I replied, "either a bunch of treetops, a rooftop, or a parking lot." It was dark by now, and the shades were pulled from the turn down service. DH pulled aside the curtains, opened the door to the patio, and replied "Or we have this AWESOME VIEW!!!" I dropped what I was holding and ran over there. When I stepped outside, all I could say was "Whoa..." Looking back at me was the Boardwalk in all it's nighttime glory straight ahead, Stormalong Bay all lit up and bustling with music playing and people swimming directly below, and the Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin hotel to the right. It was spectacular! DH got the boys and as soon as they came out, they both yelled "swimming pool" and started jumping up and down, and asking if we could go swimming NOW!!! It was a great moment. They spent a good 15 min out there, just staring down at the "blue pool", as Lucas called it.

I reluctantly pulled them away from the balcony and insisted on going to find some dinner. Max requested macaroni and cheese (which is his "comfort" food, and which he eats approximately once per day at home). I knew they had that at Picabu at the Dolphin, as well as a pretty good selection of other things, so we headed over there. We all walked, which felt great after sitting all day. We sort of went the wrong way to the Dolphin, since it was sort of dark and we were sort of unsure where we were going. We all enjoyed our dinner at Picabu, although Max was in full on overstimulation mode by this point, and we had to hand feed him his dinner. He was LITERALLY bouncing in his seat, talking nonstop, and stimming with his hands pretty badly. I cut him a break, though. It had been a long day. I just sort of let him get it out. The restaurant was practically empty, so he wasn't disturbing anyone.

We made our way back to the room, did baths for the boys, and ourselves and unpacked the suitcases while the boys were in bed. Hilda and Victor arrived around 11pm. We said a quick hello (the boys were both still awake), and I handed her the tickets we had purchased for her on base. I told her and Victor to NOT wait around for us the next morning, as I anticipated a late start, so she said they'd head to Epcot in the morning after breakfast in the lounge. They are both early risers, and flew in from NC, so they were on their normal time.

The boys fell asleep pretty quickly (shockingly), and DH and I followed soon after. Max decided to wake up at 5:30 am (2:30 to us) and was chatting to himself for a good hour before he fell back asleep. I had a hard time falling asleep after that, so it was not a great night, sleep wise, for me (that made TWO in a row...ugh).

Next up, day two: Epcot. A playground. A terrifying ride in a Clamshell, and some more playgound. Plus, some pool time and date night for DH and I!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - nothing like a little stress to start your vacation off, huh? Between your lack of sleep and the thoughts of "what if???" going through your brain about the plane and Lucas, I can't even imagine the state you must have been in.

How wonderful that the "what if" scenarios didn't happen, and you were able to make it to Orlando without any major incidents. Yay for all of you!!!

While I was organizing things, DH said "let's see what kind of view we have." We had booked a Standard View CL room, so I replied, "either a bunch of treetops, a rooftop, or a parking lot." It was dark by now, and the shades were pulled from the turn down service. DH pulled aside the curtains, opened the door to the patio, and replied "Or we have this AWESOME VIEW!!!" I dropped what I was holding and ran over there. When I stepped outside, all I could say was "Whoa..." Looking back at me was the Boardwalk in all it's nighttime glory straight ahead, Stormalong Bay all lit up and bustling with music playing and people swimming directly below, and the Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin hotel to the right. It was spectacular!
    Now this is the magic of Disney. What a wonderful, fabulous, incredible surprise to have such a magnificent view - along with the daybed you requested. Thank goodness the boys fell asleep pretty quickly, if only for awhile! Great arrival day - looking forward to your next post. I'm a little worried about the terrifying clamshell ride, though!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Carol, stress is my middle name! Luckily, it melted away nicely during the trip.

I was truly shocked by the view. Mostly because it was a nice free upgrade, but also because I was under the impression that there were NO CL Water View Rooms that had a daybed at either the BC or YC. When booking, I inquired about a Water View room, and Debbie from MJ let me know that these were not bookable for parties of even 5, due to no daybeds in them. WDW website corroborated that info, so I NEVER expected to have such a spectacular Water View! Our room was right next door to the Nantucket VP Suite, so I think maybe sometimes people book the suite and the adjoining room for larger parties...thus the daybed.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad Lucas cooperated on your plane ride and none of what you anticipated needed to be dealt with!

Congrats on the upgrade to your room! We stayed at the Beach Club once and I found it a very confusing resort to navigate! I think we were at the end of the trip before I could find my way to our room by myself!

Great start! Can't wait to read more!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful start to your trip! May I just say that I applaud you and the patience you must have in droves. I have a hard enough time with one 3 year old and my husband isn't away alot. I hope this vacation was just what you needed before your DH is deployed. You are very inspirational to me! Can't wait to read more!

Post Thanks / Like

First off let me thank you, your husband and your family for the awesome sacrifice that you guys make for our freedoms and security. Second my youngest son is also in the higher functioning autisim range. He has Asperger's Syndrone. So I totally understand your frustrations and stress levels. When he was around 4 he had speech problems as well. We got that worked out and he does much better now. He still has his sensory issues and of course the occasional meltdown like Lucas but he is a very sweet and loving boy. Glad you are in the world of magic and hope your trip was awesome.
    PharmD
    Off Property 76,82,92,97,98,99
    ASMov 5/00,1/02,9/03,1/06,12/03,8/08
    ASSports 12/01
    ASMus 3/02,7/02
    PopCe 4/04,5/04,10/05
    PORS 10/06,10/10
    CSR 10/09
    POFQ 11/11
    CB 6/12
    CB 5/13
    Disney Fantasy 10/15

Next Renewal of Magic:
    PopCe 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your stress goes away by the end of your trip so you get to have a good trip. And as PharmD said than you both for all your sacrifices and courage to keep our country safe. My grandfather and some other relatives were in the military and I truly appreciate you guys. Glad to hear the trip started out well.

Post Thanks / Like

a little stressful sounding of a day..but seemed everything worked out way better than you thought!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Your view sounds fantastic! So glad some of the earlier stress melted away and you got off to a good vacation start.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Good start!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love kids!!! This sounds exactly like I am with my kids, and my hubby. My hubby is National Guard and boy do I know how everything military can change with little to no notice. I always "joke" that nothing is ever set in stone until AFTER it happens. And I have two very active boys. I always stress and worry about "what ifs" and seldom do they actually happen. It sounds like all your worries were for nothing and you guys are having a fantastic start to your much deserved vacation. Oh, and I love, love, love that view upgrade you got! Just wonderful.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome start to your trip, after the plane ride that is.
    DL 1976, 1984, 1989
    WDW 08.2006, 10.2008, 12.2010, 10.2015

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sounds like you have a pretty good start to your trip, especially the view from your room. Al ittle bit of magic that you and your family deserve. Thanks for sharing your day with us.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

So glad that things are working out so well for you. What a nice surprise with the view!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie,

So glad you had a SMOOTH trip out to Florida. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Thanks for the great report!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I am really enjoying your report and have to say you sound like an awesome Mom. I have two lively boys and I know how stressful it can sometimes be for me.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a great first day. And I love opening the curtains to unveil that view!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: