Quantcast A 4 nighter to Washington DC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question A 4 nighter to Washington DC

So I would like to take my girls to DC from July 25th and leaving on the 29th. I would like to stay outside the DC area where there is easy acess to the subway and/or buses. I do not want to have to drive around DC to see all the sites. I am looking for a simple motel/hotel with pool with a great price and not many amenities, we're easy to please. Hopefully you all have some great options for me! Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    -Marcy-
    Mom to: Katina Ann "TiTi" & Adrianna Jacey "AJ"

DLR/ Summer of 1988

7/26 - 8/2 2003- Off Site
    7/2 - 7/9 2006- CBR Jamacia
    11/21 - 12/1 2007- CBR Martinique
    11/18 - 11/28 2009- Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Last July my family stayed at a Holiday Inn in Alexandria. The train was just across the
    parking lot. We loved the easy access to the train. We would stay there again. Not fancy but clean and adequate.

Holiday Inn
    ALEXANDRIA SW-EISENHOWER AVE

Post Thanks / Like

Look into Bethesda, Rockville, and Gaithersburg, MD - on the Red Line. Much of Rockville is walkable to metro (train) if you are staying on or near MD route 355 (AKA Wisconsin Ave. Rockville Pike, Hungerford Dr., or Frederick Rd.) The stations in through there are White Flint, Twinbrook, and Rockville.There used to be a Doubletree just across from Twinbrook, I think it's a Marriott now.

You might also find something in the Shady Grove area: the complex off Sam Eig Hwy, near I-370 is called RIO, and includes a Marriott, and I think some less expensive franchises, also. You'd need a shuttle to get to Shady Grove, but it's not far. A lot of hotels have shuttles to Metro. Worth asking.(This is also a very nice area for chain restaurants like Red Lobster, Joe's Crab Shack, Macaroni Grill, Bugaboo Creek, etc.)

Likewise in Northern VA, look into the Courthouse/Clarendon/Ballston areas of Arlington, or Eisenhower Rd/King St. areas of Alexandria. There used to be a Comfort Inn very close to Clarendon.

I believe there are a couple of hotel chains near the Falls Church stations, and also at the end of the Orange Line in Vienna, VA.

You might also find something on the northern extension of the Green Line, which is College Park, MD. University of Maryland is here.

Check the Metro website - they have area maps for each station.

I'm not much help in specifics, but that's because we live here, so never use hotels.

Looking forward to having you visit!
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Google maps has some great features now....I'd go in there and type in "Hotels near Shady Grove Metro," and it will populate with a number of options. In fact, when I do this I see a Comfort Inn and Red Roof, both of which are typically cheap, and usually have pools.

Couple metro notes - it's not cheap. Parking is $4.75 and rush hour fares from the burbs can be as high as $9.20 roundtrip. So three people will set you back easily over $30 per day, making driving into the city and parking at a centrally located garage seem more economical.

In addition, the lots can get full at the further out stations - I'd suggest you wait until after rush hour for A. comfort and being able to sit together and B. lower fares. Downside is you might not get a parking spot.

If you take the train back out to the hotel anytime between 4:30 and 7 there is a good chance you'll be standing the entire ride. One tip tourists never get: Position yourself at the far end of the station so you can get on the very first car, which is always the emptiest.

And lastly, when on the escalators (PLEASE!), stand on the right, walk on the left.

Have fun!
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to recall that you can't just pay cash for the metro fare . . . that you need a smartcard. I could be wrong (it won't be the first time) can a local pop back back with info on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point...if you are parking at the metro you'll need a SmarTrip card to get out of the parking lot. The cost of the card itself is $5.

If you are just paying to ride the trains, cash and the paper farecards are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for a hotel in the Shady Grove area between Washington & Baltimore. It is on the end of the Red line and a lot of the hotels offer drop and pick service at the station.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDoug2 View Post
    Look for a hotel in the Shady Grove area between Washington & Baltimore. It is on the end of the Red line and a lot of the hotels offer drop and pick service at the station.
    No.

Sorry...just no. Geography all wrong here. Yes to the Shady Grove area, as I've said, but it is certainly not between DC and Baltimore.

The other end of the red line is kind of between DC and Baltimore, but don't look there, for a number of reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use cash on the metro, no problem. You CAN'T use cash to park in the Metro structures and lots. For that, you will need a SmartCard. You can purchase this at Metro stations. If you are going to buy a SmartCard, use it also to travel on the Metro, as it's going to cost you $5 to get the card itself, before you put any money on it.

Don't forget,many local motels have shuttles to the Metro. Then you won't need a SmartCard, just cash. You can use cash in the Metro farecard machines. You can also use credit and debit cards.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washington DC

We are frequent visitors to DC and often stay in Crystal City, VA and leave our car at the hotel the entire trip and take the Metro everywhere. We usually stay at the Embassy Suites or Marriott but have stayed at other places too. You can usually get a great price on hotwire.com for DC hotels for about $70 a night.

Have fun, the newest Smithsonian, The Museum of The Native American is an amazing place!
    Port Orleans French Quarter July 2016[/B][/COLOR]
    Port Orleans French Quarter & Wilderness Lodge June/July 2012
    Port Orleans French Quarter August 2010
    Port Orleans French Quarter-August 2007
    Disney Land- October 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter-July 2005
    Many trips off-site as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Arlington National Sheraton - the rates are good if you check around (discounted to about $130 a night). They have a free shuttle to Pentagon mall and the metro stop is at the mall to get to DC, You can see Arlington National Cemetery and the Washington Monument from the pool area (and some of the rooms).
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: