Quantcast Resort specific merchandise

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Resort specific merchandise

I saw it posted on here earlier that WDW is doing away with resort specific merchandise. Can anyone verify if this is true? Will I really no longer be able to get a t-shirt, mug, ornament, etc. with the resort name/logo???

Anyone with info,it would be appreciated.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not ALL resort specific items, yet... But the vast majority of merchandise on property is generic. "Disney Parks" will be the death of merchandise. I don't want something generic, I want something to signify where I actually was.

Ornaments, magnets, they type of stuff will probably always be around, but don't quote me on that. Once they figure they can save 1/2 cent on a magnet, Disney will trample someone to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Over our last couple of trips we've noticed a lot less resort-specific merchandise. During our last visit, it was hard to find POFQ clothes, and what they did have was on-sale and limited in size-choices.

So, although I don't know if there has been an "official" annoucement, but for us, it has been harder and harder to find resort-specific stuff.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

That's really too bad. A few years ago, we went to Disneyland. While there, we spent a day at Universal Studios. We could not find one item there that identified that we were at Universal in California. Therefore, we bought nothing.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

It's just disappointing. Already, the "Disney Parks" stuff is a bummer - I want it to say WALT DISNEY WORLD!!! They took away the resorts refillable mugs to just one general mug... PLEASE keep the other resort items!!

If they DO take the stuff away...what's the point of staying on property? They'll be making it more and more generic.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like this either! Just got back from CBR. Bought a CBR tee for $8.99--clearance--only had three left! Had a couple of mousepads, and that was it! Very disappointing. Hope I can scoop up something Polynesian in a few weeks!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

What a bummer, glad I got what I got when I did!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

We have not been able to find resort clothing for the last two trips to Disney, maybe once the economy picks up it will return.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be that our last 3 trips and the upcoming one we've always stayed at the WL, but at their mercantile there is plenty of resort specific merchandise??? I always come home with one or two T's.
    8 DAYS AND COUNTING AND WE'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    I don't like this either! Just got back from CBR. Bought a CBR tee for $8.99--clearance--only had three left! Had a couple of mousepads, and that was it! Very disappointing. Hope I can scoop up something Polynesian in a few weeks!

That was us exactly. Got a lot of stuff on sale at CBR because as I was told they are doing away with a lot of resort specific stuff. Too bad. But more money in my pocket as I won't buy certain things that says Walt Disney World only.

I like my souvenirs to represent where exactly I have been.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

This is extremely disappointing. I'm not buying any article of clothing that says "Disney Parks" on it. I really have never even gone for items that just said WDW - I've always wanted resort specific items or even just single park specific items (esp. Epcot).

I noticed the last couple of trips that even the photo albums don't have the year on them anymore. Just the same generic ones from year to year. It seems that if they can't sell it in every shop and for several years then they'll do away with it.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeys_princess_mom View Post
    This is sad to read. We stayed at CBR last June and there were tons of resort specific items. We stayed at CSR several years ago and I remember there being lots of resort specific items there too. I ended up regretting not buying a few things, and on a trip just 6 months later we took a ride to CSR so that I could get those items and over half of the unique items were no longer being sold there. On our most recent trip, Nov. 2009, I noticed that the Poly and WL still had lots of resort specific items, but the BC, where we stayed for part of our trip, didn't have as much as I would have liked. It really makes me sad. I love getting items from the resorts we've stayed at and "Disney Parks" just doesn't work for me either.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We've seen this coming for awhile (while trying to buy Christmas ornaments for our Disney tree) and had it confirmed by cast members in the various gift shops (yes, I know how reliable CM info can not at times) who have told us the resort specifc items (with the exception of trading pins) are largely going away. One of the few resorts where you can still find a wide variety of resort specific items thou is the Poly...i got a golf hat and my wife found an embroidered hoodie on our last visit.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

The good news is that it does indeed make it less tempting to pick up a souvenir. Maybe I can save some money. I wonder if rumors that purchases are down are true and if there is a correlation. I always like to feel like I am buying something unique and meaningful. What is disney parks??? It has no meaning to me.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    The good news is that it does indeed make it less tempting to pick up a souvenir. Maybe I can save some money. I wonder if rumors that purchases are down are true and if there is a correlation. I always like to feel like I am buying something unique and meaningful. What is disney parks??? It has no meaning to me.
    Absolutely that's the plus side for me. Really, i've gone looking for stuff to buy, to the point where we saved up a nice chunk of cash specifically for our buying habits at WDW, only to come hone with money burning a hole in our pocket. Now, Im sure I won't find anything, so barely do any shopping.

We've got a two week vacation coming up, and I just said to my wife, what do you want to do this day? We don't have anything planned... DTD? She said there's no reason to go there...

I think it is part of the reason merchandise sales are down, maybe even a big part. The economy isn't helping, but we haven't spent anything significant on a trip since probably around 2003 or so. Before that, we would come back with full sets of dishes (16 settings), or artwork, furniture, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Disney was losing a lot of money selling resort and year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year on the merchandise and then they were not selling the pervious's year stuff, thus losing money.
    My laughin' place is a doom buggy

12 times at the world and counting!
    Next trip: June 20 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xo0ally View Post
    I think Disney was losing a lot of money selling resort and year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year on the merchandise and then they were not selling the pervious's year stuff, thus losing money.
    I may agree with a portion of your post - namely the part that say, "year specific merchandise because when it was the next year they had to change the year..."

Otherwise, I vehemently disagree!

We've contacted WDW on several occasions - telling them that we were very upset with the fact that we could not purchase "Resort Specific" merchandise! I want stuff from the resorts, and I love DVC specific merchandise (both of which are becoming more and more difficult to come by). So Disney, by all means, loses money on me each year with the generic junk they offer.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xo0ally View Post
    All the previous years stuff goes out back to property control where CMs can buy it dirt cheap. Disney still makes money on it. Those items very little to make in the volume Disney purchases...

Post Thanks / Like

I am very disappointed about losing the resort specific merchandise...especially the refillable mugs!! I use our mugs (we have at least 15) throughout the year (they are lighter than glass and my hands don't get cold since there are handles). I am kicking myself for not buying one from each resort-- I would love to have the different resorts displayed in the cabinet. I am sure it is much cheaper to buy a million of one style rather than 100,000 of 10 styles. In 1998, Caribbean Beach had their mugs in different colors as well.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    All the previous years stuff goes out back to property control where CMs can buy it dirt cheap. Disney still makes money on it. Those items very little to make in the volume Disney purchases...
    Do they then sell it on Ebay?
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: