Quantcast Looking for something new to do

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for something new to do

Hi, everyone!! My family will be returning to WDW in about three weeks and I am so excited.I am looking for something new to do. We are staying at the Poly for the first time so that is a biggie. In addition to that, I thought about taking the monorail to the GF for dinner, to the Contemporary for dessert and returning for poolside drinks (and swimming) at the Poly. I don't need fancy or expensive-- just different. Thoughts??
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to print out one of Disney Shawns blogs and bring it to the park to check out some of the background stories. You would not beleive how many things you walk right past without noticing.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Try one of the tours - Behind the Seeds is pretty inexpensive and fun. The Segway tour and Keys to the Kingdom tours are great. The AquaSeas Tour (or Divequest if you're scuba certified) is the best.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Last June we did the behind the seeds tour and it was fun. It's not fancy or expensive, but it was different. We did the tour that day and later that night we ate at Garden Grill so the kids thought it was cool that we might be eating some of the fish or veggies we saw earlier that day.

Since you are staying at the Poly I'd recommend just spending an entire day at the resort. We stayed at the Poly for the first time in Nov. and we enjoyed many days poolside. There is a very fun, laid back vibe at the pool there. My kids played games and did some of the children's activities, and we just enjoyed lots of relaxation. My mom and I also went "shopping" around the monorail one afternoon. DH stayed back with the boys and we hopped from one monorail resort to the next, shopping and snacking. It was a very fun way to spend the afternoon. What ever you do you'll enjoy the Poly.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever visited the AKL to check out the savannas. There are plenty of viewing areas both in and outside of the resort. If you check it out after dark you can use the night vision glasses that have at the Jambo house. There are plenty of rocking chairs around to have a seat and relax too.
    Ken & Kim
    AKL July 04 Honeymoon!
    AKL Sept 05,
    AKV Sept 06, 07, 08, 09
    BLT Sept 10
    AKV Sept 11
    AKV Feb 12 (Princess 1/2)
    BLT Sept 12 (TOT 10)
    BLT May 13
    BWV Sept 13 (TOT 10)
    BCV Sept 14 (TOT 10)
    BLT March 15
    BWV/AKV Oct 15
    BWV/BLT Sept 16
    BWV/POLY Sept 17
    BWV/CCV Sept 18

Post Thanks / Like

I always lover renting the water mice and taking them for a spin on the 7 seas Lagoon, that way you can also see your resort from a different view.

Another great idea is the tours, we are doing the Backstage Magic tour for the first time on this trip.

You could if you enjoy alcohol drink your way around the world at Epcot, it is always a fun way to spend an evening.

Explore your resort by walking around all of the grounds and buildings, lying by the pool etc.

Grab a snack to eat in your facorite park and sit on a bench for 10 minutes and just watch people and absorb the themeing all around you, I think alot of us forget to just sit and watch sometimes and really soak it all in.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for places to eat in the monorail circle, I would do a late tea (3pm) at the Grand Floridian (wonderful food, different experience, very relaxing), a boat ride to the Wilderness Lodge for a light sandwich at the walk up and dessert at the Kona in the Poly (the best dessert selection ever!).

Post Thanks / Like

Book a fireworks cruise! We did this in April, it was very, very, very, very good! A 24' lake cruiser ( open top- they have blankets for you if its chilly ) They cruise around Bay Lake for about 45 min prior to the fireworks, the guide will also show you some things you wouldn't normally notice, or see, like the water birds nesting in the trees at night, (which is funny to see, they look like big cartoon birds in the trees! ) Then, he will bring up close, very close, to the Electric Water Parade, the music sounds great, echoing off of the water. Book the cruise with audio, so you will hear the entire "wishes" soundtrack, which often in the park you can't hear fully. After the electric parade he will cross over to Seven Seas Lagoon and position the boat so the Castle is in your center view, and you will see the fireworks over the park! They offer chips, pretzels, snacks and soda as well. Our driver also took two photos of our group before we left the dock. Welll worth the money, and something I would do again, especially in the warmer weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your ideas. I thought that since it is the year 2010, I should find 10 new things to try. Keep the ideas coming.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

This year is gonna be "different" for us as well. Now that our DD is 17, we'll be doing more adult activities that she hasn't been able to do before now. Such as, parasailing and the Keys tour. And this year, we plan on resort hopping 1 day, and have decided that each one of us gets to chose 1 new place to dine that we haven't been to before. But, we'll be returning to some of our old faves also!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL