Quantcast Advice for travelling with Senior?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice for travelling with Senior?

My dad has decided to go with us to WDW in September. We just lost my mom and I think this trip will be good for him.

Does anyone have any advice. He is 80 years old and just had a quadriple bypass April 2009. He had blood clots in his lungs in January, but they are controlled now.

We have rented a scooter from an outside agency, (as he also had bad knees).

Which rides would you avoid? How can I help him handle the heat.

Also is there any concerns with flying?

thanks for the help!

We also plan to visit the water parks this year. i know he loved to ride around on the river in the inner tubes.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think getting the scooter is perfect. Other than that my only suggestion is to let him dictate his pace. Don't rush or force the pace if he's going to be with you.

As for avoiding rides, only if there is a medical reason to do so. Other than that, he should be able to decide what he does or doesn't want to do.

Involve him in the planning! Share about the restaurants and give choices if you're able so the trip can be special for him, too.

September can be pretty hot, but I would suggest for him the same as everyone else - drink LOTS of water, don't stay in the direct sun too long, and use a high SPF sunscreen.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

First of all sorry for your loss.I think it's wonderful that you are including your dad in this trip.If you are staying on property you could take breaks and go back to the hotel and relax.Also watch shows,parades,fireworks,or browse the air conditioned shops.You could find a shady spot & have an ice cream and people watch.That's always fun.lol Enjoy your dad and disney.Those two together are priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry about your mom. Enjoy your time with your dad at Disney. Just take it slow and make sure he is hydrated. It can and will be pretty warm so it is important that he drink and drink and drink. Try to keep him out of the sun as much as possible and perhaps think about taking an afternoon break at your hotel.
    I know I got to spend one wonderful day at Epcot with my Dad. It's one that I cherish and smile each time I remember it.
    Make some wonderful memories.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We took my dad more than a few times...we always rented a wheelchair as I didn't want to be responsible if he accidentially HIT someone who WALKED right in front of him...it was bad enough pushing a wheelchair, you'll be surprized at the rude adults...yep, adults the kids seem to understand and not walk in front. That said...we had a wonderful time...there were some rides that Dad was physically capable of riding, but I felt would jerk him around too much and possibly throw off his balance (Test Track, Thunder Mountain etc). Other than that he LOVED every minute and those are probably the best trips that we remember...we took him to the MNSSHP and he LOVED trick or treating and the parades and fireworks...since you're there in September maybe you can consider it. Especially sharing time with his granddaughters...smile. We also spent a whole morning inthe Storm-a-long pool and he was in an inner tube and I swam him around the pool and under the water falls...he did like the waterparks in his younger days, but we felt outside of the lazy river, this pool gave him the same experience (which is why we stayed at the YC that visit).
    I wish you a wonderful trip...full of great memories.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea...we lived in Ottawa for ten years and will be there in September too...one, well maybe two days (one night)...when are you going?
    Pirate Granny

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the responses. Apart from open heart surgery he is in pretty good health. It will be trying to stop him from doing the advertureous rides. He wanted to know if he could go on EE..yikes. He still drives, so the scooter shouldn't be a problem, and it is only adults going this time round. We need time to just relax after our ordeal.
    I wasn't sure if flying poses a risk with the blood clots, heart etc.
    Our flight is 2 1/2 hours, so at least it isn't too long. I was also wondering if you can borrow a wheelchair at the airport because of the long walk to the magical express.
    We are staying at POFQ which should be good because it is a smaller resort.
    I am so looking forward to this trip...its been many years since I went with him and i feel there is alot to see and do at a slow pace. (we are staying for 2 weeks so we don't have to rush things)

Post Thanks / Like

We are going Sept 6 to 19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aurora, ariel, and bell View Post
    I wasn't sure if flying poses a risk with the blood clots, heart etc.
    Our flight is 2 1/2 hours, so at least it isn't too long. I was also wondering if you can borrow a wheelchair at the airport because of the long walk to the magical express.
    In general a 2 1/2 hour flight shouldn't pose a risk for the clots, but I suppose it is a possibility. I would recommend talking with his doctor on that one to see if there's any special precautions to take. As long as you're talking with the doctor, check on the rides too.

As for at the airport, if you let the airline folks know your dad needs transportation assistance they will set that up for you.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

My dad had two by-pass surgeries and was still driving the first time we took him, but got a wheelchair...just no way could he keep up and not be exhausted at the end of the day...especially in September...talk to his doctor about the plane trip...At Detroit, NW (now Delta) provided a wheelchair from the time of check-in and let him stay in the chair until we boarded. They requested a wheelchair meet us in Orlando (Tampa one time too) and they took him down to ME (rental car in Tampa). It was very smooth. Remember that if you rent an EVC you have to have him drive it on and off the buses and then park it, and have him sit while they strap the vehicle in place. My dad wouldn't have liked that...he made us fold the wheelchair up and he walked on the bus...he was embarrassed for the persons who could not drive onto the bus and those that had to stand up, get off and let someone else drive it onto the bus ramp.
    Pirate Granny

Post Thanks / Like

In past trips DW and I took both sets of parents to WDW. Her dad had knee replacement surgery and had trouble walking, and could not maneuver a scooter. After 2 hours he got so scared with the scooter that we traded it back for a wheelchair. He still liked to walk when he could, and would push the chair ahead of himself. But I think the main problem was that he was never a driver.
    Take dad to your local Wallmart, and let him practice with a scooter before venturing out to WDW.
    DW and I are both scooter users, and had a blast in WDW last September, once we got used to loading onto the buses.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the scooter will be a problem, he uses riding lawn mowers, tractors, and used to drive a long motorhome.

Standing for a long time might be a problem, which popular rides do not allow scooters to the loading area. ie Sorin, Test Track, Toy Story Mania, POTC, Splash, Bugs life etc.

Do i have to let the airport know ahead of time? Or are there wheelchairs near the baggage checkin?

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad at 79 and 11/12 does all the WDW attractions. If your Dad's doctor has given him the go ahead, just trust your Dad to chose attractions. I was surprised when my Dad chose to do Expedition Everest -- but he was fine with it. Has ridden (front row) several times, now!
    As to your question about bringing scooters to the loading area -- any attraction that does not allow the scooter to the front, will provide a manual wheelchair to use in the wait. If they tell you to park the scooter, simply tell the cast member at the front that your Dad needs a chair -- one will appear. Scooters can go up to the load area at Toy Story Mania.
    The airlines generally call for wheelchairs while you are still on the plane -- bring them to you as you disembark. Though you can tell them in advance, the steward / stewardess will be able to take care of this easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a week at POFQ. My mom came with us and we rented her a wheel chair. She was not comfortable with the scooter. She is like your dad, just the long walks around the parks were a problem. She decided what rides she went on and didn't. If she choose not to we found her a cool place to wait. The resort was great and gave her some time to walk around. We were in building 6 on the ground floor.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: