Quantcast Is DDP right for you?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is DDP right for you?

For our last trip we used DDP for our meals. The previous trip we did not use DDP. This has lead me to debate if it was 'worth it' or not.

One of the things that we noticed was that despite having DDP we still spent quite a bit of money on food anyway. Between tipping and adding extras (appetizers, drinks, etc) we ended up with a sizable bill at the end of our trip.

We also ended up with way more food than we would normally order with DDP. We would have ordinarily ordered dessert maybe 2 or 3 times on a trip like that, however we got dessert with every meal. At other times we had meals that we wouldn't ordinarily have because we felt obligated to use all of our credits because they had already been paid for.

Item-for-item, DDP saves you money. However I think for us we ultimately spent more money on food than we ordinarily would have. On our trip without DDP we spent around $200 per person on food, while with DDP we ended up spending almost $400. (there were 2 more days on our DDP trip, but that's not enough to account for the difference) Also, my tipping was much heavier using DDP because the total bill would have been much larger than it would be otherwise.

What do you all think? Does your family save money using DDP? Or have you found that you send less without it?
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. On our last trip of 7 days, I know I ate alot more than I would have if I was paying OOP. I was getting desserts, which I never order. (I would prefer an option of either appetizer or dessert) I was tired of eating at TS restaurants and being tied to a schedule, but felt I had to since I had paid for it. Too much food overall. This trip we were going to do the CS plan, but decided not to do a plan at all since we will be there during F&W at EPCOT. I plan on keeping all my receipts to make a comparison.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Some very good points. Our last trip we went with out the DDP and paid for everything OOP. For our Dec trip I plan on using the DDP. So I will be comparing our costs as well to see which works better for us. Looking forward to more ADR's and "hopefully" having everything pre-paid for but we shall see!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

We had the DDP for the first time on our last trip and enjoyed it. That being said, I'm not sure if we really saved much compaired to what we would have normally spent on food. The difference was that we ate at many more TS places than we normally would have. However, it was very nice to be able to eat in those places and not really worry about the prices. We didn't get appetisers (we had too much food as it was!) and for some reason I wanted water and tea much more than any other drinks (I think it was the heat). Also, since it is just my wife and myself, we never had any issues getting to our reservations and didn't feel "tied down" at all. We did plan which park we would be in based on our reservations (which we based on which park was busiest, etc, when we made them)

We are returning in November and we once again got the DDP. For us it works great!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought when comparing prices. Since we were ordering entrees AND desserts at TS restuarants, our bill was higher than normally, thus our tip was higher so each meall cost more that if I was paying OOP.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it all depends on eating habits. I wouldn't normally get a dessert at lunch, but I love to eat dessert after dinner, *especially* at WDW. There are so many great desserts to choose from!

For our family, we love eating at TS restaurants, because we would get tired of the "fast food" style counter service meals, every meal, every day. Not to knock them...I know that there is variety and there are some CS places that we love, but in the end, it's still fast food. We don't feel "tied down", either, because we like having the schedule. Of course, that's how we roll, and if we want to break free then we have all the freedom we want in the mornings (our ADRs are almost always for dinner).
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Popular opinion seems to be that the DDP is only a good deal if you are committed to 1 TS (which means ADR's well in advance) and 1 CS per day. Since I do not adhere to any of those (especially during F&W Festival,) it is not for me. And now that I have TiW, It's really not a good deal for me.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If I was paying for the DDP, NO! I would save the money and just eat CS the entire trip. (Probably would lose weight every trip then! LOL) I would eat one CS meal and probably a couple 'snacks' per day and that would be it.

Since we go down in September, and for the past 6 years the DDP has been offered for free (please don't get into that "well, you have to pay rack rate on the room" argument, because it just doesn't fly when staying at a Value resort,) it is pretty much a no-brainer.

Yes, we have to schedule TS meals way in advance, and often you are served more than you would generally eat, but I just figure that I am on vacation and enjoying every minute - whether it be in the parks, in a restaurant, or even just relaxing by a pool.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Nope.. The DDP would end up costing us more for food.. When you break down the cost of the DDP against current menu prices, while on paper it MAY be possible to come out ahead, it's getting more and more difficult. Maximizing the value seems to take a degree in advanced math.

In general, package deals offered by Disney have been more about convenience than value. And maybe it's just me, but lately, Disney is doing everything in their power to maximize profits, so it's a safe bet that if they are offering it, it's designed to optimize their bottom line, NOT MINE! Passing on the "opportunity" seems to be the best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading in one of my WDW Travel Books last night (helps me get past the blues of not being in the world) and they had a breakdown of the average cost of a meal without the DDP and with the DDP. Basically, if you're looking to save money it can be done, but not with character meals and not if you go to 2T places to dine. Other than that, you pretty much break even.

We love the plan. We can pay for everything before vacation; and not have to carry the cash or credit/debit card with us while on vacation.

MM
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I still remember the heady days of a DDP that was a bargain for the guest. The thought that keeping people in the restaurants was key and the discount was an acceptable "loss leader" ruled the discussion boards.

I now tend to think it was more along the lines of a bait and switch.

In the first year or so of its inception, we used the plan for a family of four and ate like kigs (kings+pigs) at a reasonable cost. Had the plan not changed we would still be participating.

As soon as the plan axed apps and tips, we found that for the same amount or even less we could get everything we wanted without having any restrictions.

Our days of DDP are long gone. The convenience of paying for your vacation , in total, prior to getting on the plane is the only benefit I see to this plan. In that case you are probably better off opening a vacation savings account and getting interest on your money.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even sure that it works out for restaurants with signature dining (2T/character meals).

It seems like the prices of items you purchase with your DDP are capped at the price built into DDP.

I noticed on our last trip that snacks are capped at $4 and QS seems to be capped around 12. If you use that estimate you get a TS value of about $31. I ended up saving most of my snack points for items $3 and up to get the most value out of it.

Just for an example, if $31 is the built-in price of a TS, and you go to a signature dining restaurant, you're "spending" $62 per person. Our last stop at California Grill came up with a total bill for 2 of around $200. The cash Portion was $80. Magically.... $31 x 4 TS points = $124 + $80 cash = $204.

At that particular restaurant we would have gotten everything anyway, but at others We definitely would have skipped dessert. (Marrakesh didn't exactly have the best desserts ) There's no way I would have actually purchased a single one of the QS desserts if they didn't come with DDP. (In fact we gave a couple away to people at nearby tables!)

It would be awfully nice if you could skip dessert and get credited extra snack points instead.

One of my lessons from this trip really was eating in moderation. Any wild ride with a lap bar or shoulder restraint after a TS meal... well let's just say it wasn't exactly comfortable!
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I love, love, love the dinning plan. It allows me to pay for everything up front. Then I don't have to worry about what to budget for meals. I know you have to tip....so?!?!? Don't you tip if you eat out anyway??? Ok so it's 18%.....It's DISNEY. I guess what I am saying is...if you don't usually eat dessert at lunch, then don't. It won't offend anyone if you say no.

We have always made out well having the DDP. I think it would be too expensive not to have it.

I would hate to go without my DDP.
    DL 2000 (off site)
    DW 2001 (CSR)
    DW 2008 (POP)
    DW 2009 (CSR)
    Sept 2011 POFQ
    Hoping to get back sooner vs. later. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    We had the DDP for the first time on our last trip and enjoyed it. That being said, I'm not sure if we really saved much compaired to what we would have normally spent on food. The difference was that we ate at many more TS places than we normally would have. However, it was very nice to be able to eat in those places and not really worry about the prices. We didn't get appetisers (we had too much food as it was!) and for some reason I wanted water and tea much more than any other drinks (I think it was the heat). Also, since it is just my wife and myself, we never had any issues getting to our reservations and didn't feel "tied down" at all. We did plan which park we would be in based on our reservations (which we based on which park was busiest, etc, when we made them)

We are returning in November and we once again got the DDP. For us it works great!
    Same for us, we like it! We also are returning in November. But we enjoy our TS meals. We are not big eaters as a whole and just order what sounds good to us and stop eating when we're full LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of five and I think it saves us a ton of money. We can go on our trip without having to worry about saving money for food because we know its already paid for when we get there. For some its great for others not so.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I love, love, love the dinning plan. It allows me to pay for everything up front. Then I don't have to worry about what to budget for meals. I know you have to tip....so?!?!? Don't you tip if you eat out anyway??? Ok so it's 18%.....It's DISNEY. I guess what I am saying is...if you don't usually eat dessert at lunch, then don't. It won't offend anyone if you say no.

We have always made out well having the DDP. I think it would be too expensive not to have it.

I love the DDP too! I love having my meals paid for in advance. I find when it is just included in my package I'm not deciphering what is lodging, what is tickets and what is DDP. I love table service, (getting the Deluxe DDP this time!) it gives us a nice break where we can relax and have a great meal. I'm sure you could spend less and eat a lot of counter service food, but for us, WDW is where we splurge! This is our vacation and we save all year for it and have the time of our lives! And yes, you still need to tip, and the reccomended amount is 18%, but if the service is great (and it usually is!) then they get a fair tip, as with anywhere else I would eat at home. So, for us, I feel the DDP is totally worth it!!
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

My family typically had a counter service and a table service meal each day, but we dislike the dining plan and likely wouldn't pay for it again. We ultimately lose money because we never would order drinks and desserts at counter service locations. At table service places, we would normally order two desserts to split between our family of five. We like to use some of the saved money on appetizers.

But perhaps even more importantly, we skip the dining plan simply because it is too much food. We end up wasting so much, and we overeat. The idea of feeling totally stuffed on a hot day at Disney sounds utterly miserable.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey_M_lvr View Post

I sooooo agree with this, you took the words right out of my mouth!!
    Lori

Tinkerbell Fan "Here's Pixie Dust to You"

October 2005, Animal Kingdom and CBR
    Sept. 2006, POR
    Sept. 2007, AS Music
    May 2008, AS Movies
    April 2009, AS Music
    Sept. 2010 POFQ
    Sept. 2012 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't work for us. The only time we had it was during the free dining in 2006, and there was WAYYYYY too much food. That was app, entree, and dessert back then. We joked the whole week you'd have to roll us out of the restaurant after every meal. It was kind of gross in hindsight. We were almost never seated on time, either, so it ate up (no pun intended) more time away from the rides and attractions than we preferred.

We're also not huge TS fans. Some trips we do a few TS meals (like this one coming up), other times we don't do any (like last time). Really depends on the particular restaurant and what they serve, more than if it's CS or TS.

To each his own, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plex View Post
    I'm not even sure that it works out for restaurants with signature dining (2T/character meals).
    Actually, using the DDP for 2TS locations greatly diminishes the value of the plan.

And yes, the menus have been altered to keep profits on Disney's side. As a matter of fact, you can look at the menu for most places and see which are on and which are not by the selections (not the DDP logo).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: