Quantcast January - coming from the north

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default January - coming from the north

We are thinking about going the first 2 weeks of January in 2011....

Coming from New England, should I be concerned about possible snowstorms that will disrupt flights etc.....my other concern is the kids having the flu or something since it is during a prime time when they are usually sick from winter...

Anyonw gone in January with young children (mine are 6 & 3) ???

Advice??

WOULD YOU PICK JAN or AUG if you had to pick one?
    Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone in January but not with young children. Whenever you travel in winter, you run the risk of having flights disrupted due to bad weather. We once sat in the Orlando airport for 7-8 hours due to delayed flights. We did finally get off the ground and ended up being the last flight of the evening allowed into Logan - we landed in snow on a snow covered runway.

There's the risk of colds/flu, other viruses regardless of the time of year you travel. You just need to cross your fingers and hope the illness is done before you leave or doesn't set it until you get home.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We are going the first two weeks of January. We know that there is a risk of weather delays, so we added a couple of extra days to the trip, so we don't feel rushed.

We've been twice in August, and although we had great trips, it was just way too hot to be comfortable, and we're really looking forward to more "normal" weather and not sweating bullets at WDW.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Flying is like a box of chocolates...

Even if you were in the deep south, Winter Storms can disrupt your travel as the planes may be stuck somewhere else.

We've gone at all times of the year, never had a problem, but we've been lucky.

Being sick wouldn't concern me either. You could break both legs in a car accident one week before your trip, you just never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Our eldest (adult daughter) broke her foot one week before we were leaving for Paris for ten days...she called in tears and said I can't go...I said..oh yes you can...they have wheelchairs everywhere...the hotel actually gave us a number and reserved a chair for us...we had a great time...thankfully her sisters could push the wheelchair...subways were interesting...thanks Mama Bruski for carrying that chair up and down the stairs.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I want to echo what has already been said, you can't predict this far in advance for anything. We prefer January because it is not nearly as hot as August. Having said that though you can also run into some very chilly days in Orlando in January as well so it becomes a trade off. I say go in January.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Having said that though you can also run into some very chilly days in Orlando in January as well so it becomes a trade off. I say go in January.

January is very unpredictable. This past winter was brutal, as far as "normal" Florida weather goes. We had several days below freezing, and many in the low 40's.

That said, next January might very well be very comfortable - - 70's daytime, 50's nighttime.

To paraphrase Disney Rox ~~~ "Weather is like a box of chocolates"........... or

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

We've had a flight cancelled in July in the Northeast due to weather and the bad weather wasn't even here! Our plane couldn't take off from wherever it was coming from. So it can happen anytime of year, anywhere. Going in Jan, you might not be able to go swimming. Going in Aug you HAVE to go swimming. Otherwise it's unbearable. Both times of years have their pros and cons.

And you can get sick any time of year. The one time I had pneumonia, it was in June.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

January or August? That's an easy one - January. As previously mentioned, flights can be delayed for various reasons, not just weather. And what about the remote possibility of hurricanes during August? There are pros and cons to both dates. One thing we always try to do, however, to minimize potential issues with flights is to find non-stop flights whenever we can. Then you only have to worry about weather issues with one plane - not multiple planes. Hope you have a great trip....

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW in January and August and I prefer January. Florida Summers are brutal if you are used to New England weather in August. Also the crowds are lower in January.

My sons were 3, 7 & 10 when we went in January and we had no problems with illness.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.
    Old Key West - December 2015
    All Start Music - August 2014
    Port Orleans - May 2013 + Dream Cruise, Jan 1997
    Fort Wilderness - Jan 2011, Jan 2009, Dec 2002
    Disney Village Resort - August 1993
    Off site - Jan 1992 (Honeymoon), Dec 1989, Feb. 1977 (CCD)

Post Thanks / Like

You do risk flight issues in NE in the winter and you also risk very cold weather in florida in January. We have been twice in January and were very cold both times. If you don't mind not being able to swim and can deal with flight delays, the shorter lines make it a nice time to visit. Our first year saw 30's in the mornings and 50's in the afternoons for a good part of our trip.
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Given the ages of your children...JANUARY!!!!!!
    I'm from a Buffalo, NY suburb and for us, August is just way too hot. When your kids get older, it will be harder to take them out of school for vacations, so do it now and enjoy lighter crowds!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Question going in January advise

We are also thinking about going in January. What I'd like to know is are there any reasons (besides weather) to not go in January? We have always gone just after Thanksgiving, this will be our firt time going in January. Any certain goings on this time of year that should be avoided? Like the cheerleading groups, etc. Any January tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Dahling!

Post Thanks / Like

The marathon is in January and there are some cheerleading competitions mid-month. I wouldn't let either of these deter you from a January visit.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We actually decided to embrace the whole marathon-thing. We're not runners, but we've signed up for the family 5K, and are starting to train...so, you might want to check out some of the events, to see if any of them interest you.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

January is very unpredictable. This past winter was brutal, as far as "normal" Florida weather goes. We had several days below freezing, and many in the low 40's.

That said, next January might very well be very comfortable - - 70's daytime, 50's nighttime.

To paraphrase Disney Rox ~~~ "Weather is like a box of chocolates"........... or

If we have another winter like this last one, I will go crazy. It was brutal. The joke in the neighborhood was , "we're moving to Florida if we can find it."
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We go in January all the time and love it. So far (knock on wood), we have not had any issues with weather and cancellations.

One thing we have begun doing is bringing one empty suitcase to the airport with us. In it goes our winter coats and then we check it. I have been there too many times wishing I had it, that it is worth the extra trouble to bring it. If we need it we have it. If not then it just stays in the suitcase until we return. There is usually extra room in there too for a few other things, like souvenirs.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: