Quantcast Got my own ECV... Bring it or rent one ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got my own ECV... Bring it or rent one ?

I got my ECV today... wooohooo. The Go-go traveler HD.

Now I have to figure if I should rent one from Apple or bring mine with me.

If I bring it, I have to break it down to get it to the airport, go through security, and gate check it. Arrange for DME to put it under the bus. Then do the same in reverse at the end of our stay.

Or rent..have it waiting for us and just use the rollator at the airport. I will also be able to use the rollator if I don't feel like using the scooter.

Is it hard traveling to/from WDW with your ECV's? I would love to hear your experiences.
    Thanks,
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, your scooter breaks down pretty easily for you to get it to the airport. I would suggest that once you get there (unless you can take it in one piece in a truck, minivan or SUV), you put it back together and then ride it until you board the plane. They will take it from you and return it to you at MCO. They will put it in the bottom of the bus (or you can get a bus with a lift... no matter what, if you plan on using DME and will be taking your new ride, let them know you will have it with you). And then you do the same thing in reverse on the way home.

What are the advantages of taking your own ECV? You know your equipment well. You have your own comfortable ride. You don't have the expense of renting one. The only issue I can see is getting it to the airport and back, and with your equipment that really shouldn't be a problem.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing your own is no big issue. I do it with my Go-Go all the time. Just ride it through the airport to security. They will take you aside and hand wand you and do a wipe down of the scooter. Not an issue. Ride it to the door of the plane and leave it for them to load. Just take any loose things off, like baskets, key, I even take my armrests off (I in fact leave these home), if you have a cane or crutch holder I would take these off also. I then place them in a bag to take inside the plane with me. You will need to call the airline and let them know that you are traveling with your mobility scooter. They need to know the type of battery. Ours is a sealed gel battery.

As far as DME, just go to the place where you need to go. There is no need to let them know unless you want the lift bus. They will just put it under the bus with no question. The same for going back home.

I look at it this way, I would rather bring my own and save the $150+ for souvenirs. The little bit of a hassle it is, is more than worth it in my book.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

We flew down with DWs scooter in 2007 on Jet Blue.
    Before booking any flight, I phoned a load of airlines explaining our situation. Jet Blue was the only carrier that gave me straight answers.
    She rode it thru security, drove to the gate, then they took it for loading.After landing, we had to wait about 20 minutes for it to be returned.
    We had rented a van so ME was not an issue.
    Now, last September we drove to WDW with the scooter in my car, and relied on WDW busses to get to the parks with no problems.
    I am a scooter user myself. I rented one from Apple, and already have another reserved for our vacation this September. After many phone calls, Apple still gives me the best bang for my buck.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

there is no way you can go wrong with Apple Scooters. They are the cheapest by far... their customer service rivals Disney. i have used them and would never use anotehr company. why? when they are cheaper. better service. easiest to deal with. whats the point.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: