Quantcast 2 Year Old on Kali River Rapids??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2 Year Old on Kali River Rapids??

My 2 and a half year old daughter just recently went to the doctor and measured in at 38 inches. This means she is tall enoughto ride Kali River Rapids. The last time I rode it was 2006 before I was a mom (and that changes your perspective a whole heckofalot). I know there is the "What is your childs tempermant?" consideration. She generally does not scare easily. SHe loves trampolines, jumping off of stuff, slides, and splashing water!! So can anybody think of anything else on the ride that I should be aware of before I decide if we're going to go on it? Thank you in advance!!

FYI: She's been on Haunted Mansion and Barnstormer with no issues.
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than getting wet, there is really nothing scary to this ride. If you are sitting beside her, you can hold onto her a bit when going down hills, but they are pretty tame.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

From a safety perspective, she will be just fine. She will be seat-belted in next to you, and children between 38 and 42 inches tall get an additional lap bar to hang onto. We put hundreds of such children on the ride everyday.

As far as her emotional state, you will have to decide what she can handle. Young children approaching the loading area may be faced with something they haven't experienced before. Most are willing to board, and love the ride. Some become frightened and refuse to board. Whatever you do, please do not force her to ride. As CM's on the ride, we hate it when parents drag a screaming child into a raft. You can always decide to leave at the last moment (even if you are already seated in a raft). We will fully understand and will help you to exit safely.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Our boys have always been tall (my 4 yo is 45") and love the more thrilling rides. They rode KRR at 2 yo and loved it. Maybe bring crocs (or other waterproof shoes) and a change of clothes in case she gets soaked - depending on her potty training a wet diaper could be uncomfortable. Other than that, she should love it!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

From what you've indicated I'd say she'd probably enjoy it. I'm basing that on an experience with my then 2 1/2 yr old on a trip to Worlds of Fun in KC many moons ago.
    We arrived early and walked right on to their river raft ride, Fury of the Nile, with absolutely nothing said about our daughter. I was a little nervous but kept my hands and eyes on her. Well-- she LOVED it, the little thrill seeker. Problem was that's all she could talk about as we continued through the park and begged us to go again. So-- a couple of hours later we went back to the ride and by then there was a long line and we had time to notice the sign we had missed earlier indicating that she was not quite tall enough for the ride. We decided to give it a try anyway-- they let her on but reluctantly (can't blame them) when we told them that she'd already ridden it very successfully and wanted to go again so much. Once more she loved it-- kept making her own splashing sounds and laughing hysterically the whole time. Unfortunately at the end of the ride there was a log jam and I made the mistake of telling her too early that it was time to get off. She was so unhappy it was over she started crying, and that's when we started feeling the judgmental stares from the workers and the people waiting to get on the ride. Terrible parents taking that little girl on a ride that scared her. We still have a little "Fury of the Nile" t-shirt souvenir.

Post Thanks / Like

She'll probably love it. But don't get her all worked up before you board, since she will probably be able to sense your tension.

If you go, just remember to bring a poncho and possible change of clothes (or at least socks) for her, since it can definitely get cold in January.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    From a safety perspective, she will be just fine. She will be seat-belted in next to you, and children between 38 and 42 inches tall get an additional lap bar to hang onto. We put hundreds of such children on the ride everyday.

As far as her emotional state, you will have to decide what she can handle. Young children approaching the loading area may be faced with something they haven't experienced before. Most are willing to board, and love the ride. Some become frightened and refuse to board. Whatever you do, please do not force her to ride. As CM's on the ride, we hate it when parents drag a screaming child into a raft. You can always decide to leave at the last moment (even if you are already seated in a raft). We will fully understand and will help you to exit safely.
    I remember at Space Mountain we weren't allowed to let kids ride if they were crying
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    I remember at Space Mountain we weren't allowed to let kids ride if they were crying
    Yes, we used to be able to turn away guests with children who were afraid to ride, even if the parent insisted on going. It was a frequent problem at Expedition Everest. We would hold the train and ask the family to step out and wait until the child was calm enough to ride. Some guests complained, so we can't do that anymore. We have to stand aside and let parents drag their screaming child into the ride vehicle and buckle them in. There have actually been several instances (both at Kali and Everest) where frantic children have wriggled out of the restraints and jumped out of the moving ride vehicle. The resulting E-stop (emergency shutdown) causes the ride to be closed for more than an hour while we reset and power back up. Thankfully, to my knowledge, there have been no serious injuries.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

We were just at DLR and rode the Grizzly Rapid Ride, and my 4yo was upset, they told us if he cired they would not let him on the ride. He calmed down, but was a little nervous, the CM was awesome and asked what other big rides he rode, he told her Splash and the Matterhorn, and she said if could ride those he could ride anything, he perked up and got on, he was not a big fan, but did enjoy that we all got wet but him, it was truly amazing. My other DS who is 6 remembers the Kali ride as the one with fire, we will see who will be up for that ride in Dec, truly depends on your kid. Have fun!
    "We get there when we get there!"
    Disneyland Too many times to count
    Saratoga Springs OCT '00, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2014, Dec. 2015
    A S Sports DEC '03
    POP May '06
    AKL Jan '08 Offsite Sheraton Vistana Jan '08
    Port Orleans Mar 2015, May 2015
    Coronado Springs Sept 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we used to be able to turn away guests with children who were afraid to ride, even if the parent insisted on going. It was a frequent problem at Expedition Everest. We would hold the train and ask the family to step out and wait until the child was calm enough to ride. Some guests complained, so we can't do that anymore. We have to stand aside and let parents drag their screaming child into the ride vehicle and buckle them in. There have actually been several instances (both at Kali and Everest) where frantic children have wriggled out of the restraints and jumped out of the moving ride vehicle. The resulting E-stop (emergency shutdown) causes the ride to be closed for more than an hour while we reset and power back up. Thankfully, to my knowledge, there have been no serious injuries.
    That's awful!!!!!
    I wonder what Disney's stance on this would be if people complained about having to ride with a crying, frightened child??
    Or having to wait an hour because they let a distraught kid on the ride who jumped out of the seat.
    Some parents
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

From what she sounds like she will enjoy it. We took my nephew on it when he was that age...he didn't like it because he really didn't like getting wet and unfortunately him and his mom got the worst of the water.
    I think she will enjoy it if she doesn't mind getting wet! She will love it!! There is a part with fire so if she's scared at all of fire that would be the only thing to be prepared about...other than that she will be fine You don't go near the fire...it's on the side. You can feel the heat.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I remember the part with the fire and I think she'll be okay. We have a fire pit in our backyard so she will either say "Very Hot" or "Smores!!"

I can see her getting excited getting on. She likes boats, and is actually fascinated with seat belts.

But trust me I am not going to force her to do anything! Its not only mean but its also EMBARRASSING, because to me EVERYTHING she does reflects back on me. Now when she's a teenager... Ha, no. We'll blame that on Dad!

Oh and to the person who said January... I need to fix my signature. We are actually going in two weeks. We usually go in the colder months and thats why its been so long since I've been on it!
    Last edited by disneykid@hrt; 08-07-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typos galore
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

IN 2006 my youngest was 2 and tall enough to ride. That did make him "the captain" of the boat and put him in a special seat. He loved the ride except for the big splash. The water went up his nose and he was more than drenched. It scared him for a second but after that he thought it was awesome to be soaking wet. LOL
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Let me just say that you must be a WONDERFUL CM! That is the type of response I really appreciate and you definitely know your job. Thanks for being awesome.
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLuver91 View Post
    Let me just say that you must be a WONDERFUL CM! That is the type of response I really appreciate and you definitely know your job. Thanks for being awesome.

Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Kali River Rapids

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2008 my son, who turned 3 during the trip, rode it twice and had a great time. He got really wet, so I bought him a WDW T-Shirt in the gift shop. He was really excited. On the bus ride on the way back to the Resort, he had to stand in front of this seated couple and their kids and he told them - "I rode a boat...with FIRE!" They thought he was so cute.

To this day, we call Kali the "Boat with Fire Ride".
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR