Quantcast Requesting a handicapped-accessible room (1st floor)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Requesting a handicapped-accessible room (1st floor)

How do we go about putting in a request for a 1st floor room for our upcoming stay? We will be with my DMIL, who will be renting an electric scooter (due to some nerve issues and cannot walk well).

The last time we went to WDW and had multiple rooms booked we had stayed at the All Star Resorts. They told us to make requests, we just had to call one week prior (calling earlier didn't work, as they didn't have any room assignments that far in advance). I was thinking that for this trip, where we have three rooms booked, that I would just call the week before we check in and make the request. My DW read in an older edition of the Unofficial Guide that you need to actually fax your request in. Is that really necessary? Anyone on Intercot done this before?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Since this is a medical need and not a preference, I would call them now to have it added to your reservation. You could follow up closer to your trip. From what I have read here, that due to the sheer volume of fax requests, the room assigners don't really read them anymore.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a request in for a first floor, but not for an accessable room. I will be renting an ECV as well but don't need the roll in shower.

Make sure your request is on there when you make your reservations. Tell them you need a first floor for medical needs.

I will find out if my requets came through in December.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Faxes and/or calling the resort 3-4 days prior to arrival are fine as a followup, but most likely won't do anything to increase your chances. Requests need to be noted through your travel agent or calling Disney if you booked directly through them.

Now onto your request. If it's a must have medical request, you need to speak to someone in special services. They're the only ones who can "block" a room. Basically, that means the room is yours when it's assigned and can't be changed prior to your arrival. They may ask you to fax a medical form. Your other rooms would be assigned on their own, so they may not be close together.

If it's more of a general request, then I would list it as a first priority request. You can say "same building" as a followup request for that room and your other 2 rooms. The more detailed the requests, the more limiting it becomes for the room assignor. For example, if you ask for 3 adjoining rooms, they may have them, but on the 2nd floor. Saying "same building" helps keep you together, but also helps to honor your 1st floor request for your MIL. For general requests, arriving early for check-in is a bonus too. There's more inventory to select from just in case you need to ask about a specific room location.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Faxing works for me.

I Need the room and shower and my DW is afraid of hights... The first time the put us on the top floor of ASM I had to pry her hands off the rail. Now I send a fax explaining the need for the first floor and so far they have not let me down.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    Faxing works for me.
    Is it also noted on your reservation, or do you rely strictly on faxing? CM's who post here and work at the resorts state that faxes are not always looked at, so it could be a bit risky only faxing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I also make sure its noted on the res.

To follow up I always send a very upbeat and I think fun letter. The year I planned a "Thank you for putting up with my surgery and me" Disney trip I faxed a letter explaining what she had been trough and what I had planned including Asking my WONDERFULE DW to renew my contract for maybe a few more years.
    All I wanted was to make sure I had a roll in shower. I did ask they hold a room just in case she said no. What I received was a upgrade and my shower!.

I am not saying sending a fax will get anyone a upgrade or anything else. I just seems each time I faxed I was granted the request for the special room. Sort of a back up.

Oh and my DW did give me a two year conditional renewal. Matter of fact I think its up this year.....

I better get that letter ready for an extra room.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    I also make sure its noted on the res.

To follow up I always send a very upbeat and I think fun letter.
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree that faxing is fine as a followup to having it noted on your reservation. More and more, we're being told that faxes are thrown out because too many guests send them and it means a lot of extra work for the room assignors. Chances are, it's actually the note on the reservation that they're looking at and not your fax at all .

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: