Quantcast Cancer, Chemo, and Scooter Usage

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cancer, Chemo, and Scooter Usage

Would like your opinions on my use of a scooter while at DL/CA in September.

Okay, on 6/24 I was diagnosed with Esophageal cancer. Right now I am going thru chemo, with the IV every 21 days, and pills I take 7 days on and 7 days off. After the chemo, and about a month to recover, I'll go in for surgery.

Here's the dilemma. I've been pretty much stuck at home during the chemo which started on 8/10. We're thinking of going to DL on the weekend of 9/18, which will be 5 days before my last chemo IV and 5 days after my chemo pills. In between chemo doses, I feel pretty good, but am still weak. I can get around okay. But I surely can't do a full day at a park. We're thinking of getting a scooter to use during the day. So while by then I will probably look like I'm taking chemo (haven't lost my hair yet, but my MD says that'll happen in about 7 to 14 days). But if I feel anything like I feel today, I won't be unsteady on my feet or anything like that....just not able to walk around all day long.

I'm not too proud to use a scooter, but I'm not sure if I should be doing that or if I should just bail when ever I get tired and head back to the Hotel. I hate missing any Disney time, so I'm thinking the scooter is okay for me in this circumstance. If people give me a bad time while I'm there, so be it, but I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts as to whether they would do the same or not go at all, or what.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't give it a second thought. Go, use a scooter and have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the scooter and enjoy!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

As having gone through chemo every 14 days for year I can tell you its rough, and USE THE SCOOTER. You get drained very easily, cover up, stay cool, drink water if you can. Being in the park will be good for you over staying at home. I was 24 when I went through my treatments and was stubborn always trying to prove I didn't have to follow the dr's rules. Stay out of the sun, use the scooter, have FUN!!! and take lots of breaks and naps. If possible maybe be in the park early morning, skip the hot afternoon, and come back in the evening. I'm not sure of your schedule but if you said your treatments are every 21 days? try to go on days 14-21 when you are most recovered from the previous treatment. I remember getting sick a few days before each treatment in anticipation for getting it. But i'm happy and healthy now, 4 years later, and you will be too! enjoy yourself!! Keep the spirits up!

Post Thanks / Like

Be good & take care of yourself--get the scooter.

After a year long battle (chemo & radiation, cancer surgery, heart attack, another cancer surgery, and another round of C&R treatment) my mom is currently in remission from colon cancer. During her treatments we took 2 trips to Disney: Sept '09 and May '10. She talked about getting a scooter for those trips but didn't, and boy did she wish she did. She managed ok with the Sept trip, but the May trip was really hard on her. She was so tired, and once we were there it was almost like she felt like she needed to prove to herself she could get through the parks. When we got home from our trip, she said she regretted not getting the scooter.

Another piece of advice: take plenty of rests! Listen to your body. If you feel like you need a rest, do it. You have a room to go back to, use it. Normally my mom & I are the die-hards who leave the room early & come back late. Our last two trips, we took advantage of having a room to go back to. We went back to the room to rest & nap, and we did NOT feel guilty (WDW did not stop whirling without us in the parks, lol). The parks will be there when you wake up.

One more thing: don't you worry about people giving you a hard time for using a scooter--it's none of their business! Don't you give a thought to what people might think (and actually, it sounds like you're already onto this). The reason my mom didn't get one is because she didn't want to be seen as someone who couldn't do it (she was also worried about people thinking she didn't really need the scooter or that she was old if she used the scooter--well, she needed that scooter & isn't old, she's mid-50's!).

Take care of yourself, and enjoy your trip
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate it. I think I'm decided. We'll be staying at Grand California, so it will be really close to the parks and DTD. If I get too tired (the operative word being "too"....can't help but get tired at the parks), it will be a short trip back to our room. But the scooter fer shure will be in my future.

Thanks again for all of the support. I expected nothing less from Intercotees.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed your post... I'm in treatment as well, and at this point have hair just past my shoulders (even though I've lost my locks a total of four times to chemo over the years). Don't let what people think deter you from going out and enjoying the parks in whatever way you can. Yes, there were times where there were looks that were not-so-kind and I almost wished I had a card to hand out with my medical history, but you know what... we have bigger fish to fry than dealing with small-minded people.

Hope your trip is magical!

P.S. Don't forget to hydrate and to use a strong sunscreen as certain drugs do make you hypersensitive to the sun.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

GET THE SCOOTER!!!! and feel better!
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013