Quantcast Help Please! First Time Wheelchair "Attendent"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help Please! First Time Wheelchair "Attendent"

Hey gang, I need your help. My father is extremely ill. When I visited him last weekend he mentioned he would love to be able to visit Disney World one last time before he passes on. There is a small possibility that a Spring trip might just become reality. He will have to be wheeled in a chair.
    I have been reading the "Special Needs Forum", but I am finding mostly dollar questions. WDWDriver has the main post about mobility scooters and policies. Is there one for straight wheelchairs? I will be a total rookie with the pushing and guiding deal. I guess I need etiquitte guidelines for queue entering, bus or monorail procedures,etc. ,etc.! I know enough to be aware of people around me and "hitting the ankles" thing. I really need a "set of rules" , just to make everything as smooth as possible. Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not aware of any set rules. I use a walker/rollator and an ECV.

Make sure not to get into the tracks on Main Street where the horse cars go.

Back into the busses, elevators, going over big bumps, etc.

You can't stop or control the people around you. They will just stop (for what ever reason), or run in front of you. It's hard to come to a sudden stop as much as you will try. I also noticed that once I was on a scooter, I became invisible. Mainly because I was lower than the eye sight of those walking (except kids). If I catch someone by mistake,(even if it was their fault) I just say "sorry, are you ok?). Sometimes I would love an air horn, but that would be rude on my part

If you feel he needs it, get a GAC. Make sure you have it noted on your hotel ressies. Maybe a H/C accessable room would be good for him. That way he doesn't have to step into a tub.

Hopefully someone else can give more pointers. Hope you & your father have a wonderful trip. I am sure after a few pushes around the hotel you will be a great driver and guide
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about rules or anything. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Whenever you are unsure just ask a CM and they'll gladly help you.

We've done many trips with my sister and she uses a "regular" wheelchair. Most all of the ques accomadate wheelchairs all the way to the ride. There are some where you'll be taken in a different way (back exit, or elevator, etc...). Splash Mountain goes in from the exit before you get to the building. They are clearly maked and a CM will always come to help you.

At the Buses your party skips the que as the wheel chairs load first so you just go around to the front.

The biggest thing id to have a number of people in the group to switch off the pushing so no one person gets too tired.
    DLR many times,April '05 Pop Century,April '08 POR,DLR April '09,CBR Dec '09,POR Sept '10,April '12 Universal's RPRH then Disney's POR,Feb '14 AKL,DLR July '15,APR '17 POR, JAN '18 DCL, JUL '18 ASMu,DEC '18 "NYE" AoA-Nemo,FEB '20 AoA-LK
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

We Have taken my mom twice now with a wheelchair. I have never had any problems except for the people getting in the way. As stated before the CM"S will assist you if you are not sure where to go. Most of the time you go in the regular line.The only park that is kind of rough to use a wheelchair is AK. the walkway is not even and can get pretty tiring on the person pushing.
    Have fun! I wouldn't trade my memories for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a private message.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Once you have done it a bit you will learn how. It is often easier to go backwards over small obstacles like slightly higher doorjams.
    Bathrooms can be tricky due to space limitations. There are "Family bathrooms" at WDW, but I don't know about the size or availability. I know someone has mentioned using them for privacy rather than need.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto the watch the trolley tracks in MK on Main Street - easy to get a wheel stuck and tip the wheelchair. CMs are great about helping you get around and into the right places in line and for parade viewing. The hills in AK are the worst when you first head in - take it easy there. If you can, take shifts with the wheelchair - don't expect 1 person to push it all of the time. Remember that he will now not be at his usual height - people tend to not see wheelchairs.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Please watch out for the tracks. Just encountered wheelchair stuck in small train tracks at Zoo. It took hefty guys to unjam it.
    Thankfully no train near at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from taking mom to WDW in a wheelchair. I would highly recommend the roll-in showers. Most regular handi-capable rooms have regular tubs with hand rails. Make sure you specify a roll-in shower at the hotel.

I would also suggest mentioning the wheelchair when making dining reservations. I ran into the problem more than once of not being able to navigate to the table and had to wait for a more accessible to open.

I would also recommend riding boats as a means of transportation. The next best transportation is the monorail. Followed by the buses last.

Taking a towel for spills and accidents is a must. I folded one and put it over the back of the chair. Mom even said it was more comfortable have the towel as a cushion. Another consideration is taking a lap blanket.

And finally: Sunscreen Sunscreen Sunscreen!

I hope your trip is as magical as mine was

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone!! I really appreciate the feedback!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

On my Mother's last few visits to WDW, she used a wheelchair every day. After the first couple of days of the first visit, I quickly learned a lot:

1 - There are no truly level walkways in the Theme Parks, but there are curb cuts everywhere. EPCOT seems to be the most level park, followed by DHS. AK's walkways are the most uneven, since they've tried to make it as authentic as possible; but, it's definitely worth a visit.

2 - WDW is ADA-compliant, so, in addition to wheelchair acessibility, restrooms throughout the parks are equipped with handicapped stalls and family restrooms.

3 - When you make ADRs, mention that you're travelling with someone in a wheelchair. When you check in at your resort you may want to verify that your ADRs have been annotated.

4 - For the most part, the CMs have radar. They seem to know what you're planning to do before you decide it. It never ceased to amaze me that they were always there, offering assistance before we asked for it, and caring that Mom enjoyed herself.

5 - The WDW Bus Drivers are the best. My Mom would always apologize for "giving them so much work to do", but they joked with her and put her at ease. There is a handicapped entrance at each bus queue. The only place I ever had a problem was at Downtown Disney, but that was due to the fact that the bus stops are almost a free-for-all (there are no formal queue lines), and able-bodied people crowded in front of Mom in her chair; in all of the years we used a wheelchair, this only happened once.

6 - There are some guests who will grumble and complain about delays while the driver boards your Father on the bus, complain if they have to wait until wheelchairs are admitted to a show, walk in front of the wheelchair, etc., etc., but they're in the minority. Most guests are courteous, helpful, and friendly. The kids seemed to be more aware at times than the adults.

7 - Remember to take your favorite pain reliever on the trip. I never told Mom, but every night after another day of pushing her in the wheelchair, I took 2 Aleve to soothe my sore back.

8 - Put a folded bath towel on the seat as a cushion.

9 - If your Father wears shorts during the day, remember to put sunblock on his legs, especially his knees. On one trip, my Mom's knees looked like 2 stop lights; she put sunblock everywhere but forgot to put it on her knees.

10 - Don't forget to meet your Father's favorite characters. And, have the camera ready. Better yet, get a Photopass card and have the Disney photographer take photos of the entire group.

11 - Have a wonderful time!!!!
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Did DL with my son in a wheelchair in August and I just wanted to echo a few things said here

(1) switch off -- those things are murder to push with a 60 lb child, much less an adult

(2) they do not stop on a dime, so do not be looking off to your sides or up. One of the bad things about pushing a chair is that you cannot afford to sightsee or someone is going to get a bloody ankle (I did that and it was TOTALLY my fault).

(3) riding in a wheelchair is, in some ways. more exhausting than walking around. AND, a person in a wheelchair often does not realise how dehydrated they are getting because they are not physically exerting themselves. So be sure to use the hotels for naps and make sure your dad has lots of water (not soda, that makes dehydration worse).

(4) Do not be embarassed to ask people to get out of your way. Families of 12 do not need to be blocking off the entire walkway when you need to get through lol

(5) Do not be embarassed to ask cast members for help while you are there, they know the tricks to make your stay easier.

(6) make sure you have some sort of cushion, the chairs can get uncomfy after a while and sores can develop.

And now for the dumb piece of advice -- take a video camera. Use it all the time, you will want to remember this trip forever
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I ALMOST FORGOT!!!

Go to City Hall, they have buttons available for special trips. See if they can do something special for your dad for his last trip. When CM's see the buttons they always make an extra effort to say hello.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: