Quantcast Disney Parks Announcements - Let The Memories Begin! - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Man ... I mean this just keeps getting worse. The disneymemories.com website doesn't even work right. I, for the life of me, cannot fathom why Disney has such a ridiculously hard time getting web stuff to work?
    [/U][/B]
    It's because, often, people in charge of web development/design are RESTRICTED as to what they can do by "higher ups" who have NO knowledge of or training in the use of web based software.

As an example, my sister is a web designer for Williams Sonoma Corp. (she is responsible for the layout, content, and operation of the Pottery Barn website). She complains all the time about how they have these meetings with VP's, Managers, etc. and they come up with these ridiculous ideas that are difficult and most often, impossible to implement online. Her least favorite phrase is "can't you just photoshop that?" She is limited in her creative ability by stupid corporate rules, budget limitations, and things that interior designers (who, again, have NO computer knowledge) come up with.

Disney probably does the same thing to its web developers. They probably pitch all these ideas that are extremely difficult to make work online, and the web designers, strapped by budget constraints, and limited programs in use, do the best they can, and often, the sites end up "buggy" in those circumstances.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I've also spent WAAAAAYYY more than the "once in a lifetime, ONLY trip" type visitors. Sure, they may go home with a suitcase or two of souvenirs, but if they NEVER come back, what good is that? It's only a short term gain.
    Right, but first off they know you're probably coming anyway so why bother throwing any extras your way? And #2, remember we're talking about marketing here. They're trying to attract more of those first-timers who come and throw away their money. It's not an either-or where they can have you or Mr. & Mrs. Newbie. They want both.

So they spend money on "celebrations" like this, because they think it draws in the newbies.

Their loyal customers who visit multiple times? They're just Sheeple ... Disney Dweebs ... obsessed nerds who are going to make their annual pilgrimage to the Land of the Mouse. They'll come wearing their Mickey ears and Goofy hat and they'll come year after year after year, no matter how high the prices go or how bad the service gets.

That's the mentality of the suits who run Disney.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Her least favorite phrase is "can't you just photoshop that?"
    Yep ... as a guy who builds websites for a living, I can tell you that's one of my least favorite, too. In fact, any sentence that starts with, "Can't you just ... " usually means you're about to get hit with yet another moronic request from someone who has no clue what they're talking about.

Our Tech Director and I talk constantly about how we need a "Just" button, similar to the "Easy" button that Office Max has.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Really? Is that IT? One word.... LAME! C'mon Disney! You can do better than that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpH/keD View Post
    Really? Is that IT? One word.... LAME! C'mon Disney! You can do better than that...
    Obviously, they can't...

Just watched the press release vido and this appears to be a new low. I do something similar for Halloween, called Hallowindow. Cost me $30 and a projector that was going to be throw out. Been doing it for a few years too, hardly cutting edge!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Melanie!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Originally when I heard the announcement I was less then thrilled, but after looking at the Disney website for let the memories begin, it changed my mind.

I know I am probably in the minority here, but I actually really enjoyed looking at all the pictures and videos and hearing all of the stories.

Maybe it is because my trip to WDW is coming up in 67 days, and that has made me extra excited to hear people's stories and see their pictures.
    Or maybe I am just a sucker for people getting engaged at Disney, and the pure joy on children's faces when they hear they are going to Disney for the first time. But either way, I really enjoyed looking through the pictures and videos.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I sure wouldn't want my pic for everyone to see. We were less than impressed with photopass anyway. And editing them was a pure SIs is not getting one this time.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

I want to know if I've got this straight -- every night during the special show, up to 500 photos of families at the parks will be projected onto the castle.

Are guests supposed to stand there and watch the castle for who knows how long, looking for their photo? Do they KNOW in advance they'll be up there?

I can see this getting old very fast. Even if I knew our photo was coming up, I can't see waiting and waiting for it, at the expense of taking the time to actually make real memories in the parks.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe lots of people will sit around and wait for the kick of seeing their photo on the castle. I just won't be one of them.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, but first off they know you're probably coming anyway so why bother throwing any extras your way? And #2, remember we're talking about marketing here. They're trying to attract more of those first-timers who come and throw away their money. It's not an either-or where they can have you or Mr. & Mrs. Newbie. They want both.
    Disney wouldn't be the first business that begins to regard their repeat/long-term customers as more of a burden. Repeat visitors usually represent a lower profit-margin per visit. Repeat visitors are more likely to notice service and quality changes (which trends in a negative direction) and are also more likely to express/share their opinions about it. Newbies tend to be less critical, tend to spend more per person, and tend to be more influenced by Disney regarding their choices during the trip (would come from not knowing any better). They probably see these repeat visitors as something that helps pay the bills, but would rather replace you (unless you buy into DVC), if they could.

I'm not sure about the appreciation of DVC members, actually. I'm not one, but I wonder if they would actually prefer people not use their points so they can just use the maintenance fees to prepare the rooms for rack-rate bookings. Not all DVC members I have talked with would do it again. Of course, there are others who haven't found a DVC property they didn't want to buy into.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like this idea of having guests' photos projected on the castle, nor would I want to purchase a DVD of 499 pics of other people on the castle.

Is this really the best Disney can come up with? Every company watches the budget and wants to maximize profit, but sometimes you have to invest some money into new projects (or into upgrading existing project) to make a profit.

But for too long now I've watched Walt's original vision for the company slowly stripped away, replaced by the same type of rampant profit taking and small-minded corporate thinking that takes place in every other mega-conglomerate across the globe.

I once thought Disney was special, but now ... it's just another corporation out to line the pockets of its execs at the expense of anyone and everyone. And for me? Well I'm a grownup. I'm used to disappointment. I can take it. But I do feel sorry for my children who will never, ever know how special Disney World once was.
    I think many Disney 'regulars' feel the same way - I know I do. I still enjoy going to WDW, but now don't go as often as I used to. The overall quality and 'magic' is declining.

There are a few CMs & some character / interactions that are outstanding, but, unfortunately, is no longer the norm. I find this sad considering Walt's vision was high service levels and creating those 'wow' moments for guests.

Also, there have been some interesting decisions regarding some attractions over the years (eg JII, TTA audio, Horizons, World of Motion). Attractions do need maintaining / upgrading / refurbishing from time to time, but you can't mess with the concept of classic attractions. Some of the newer attractions don't have the lure to want guests to re-ride.

Example - I used to love TTA. I enjoyed the inside jokes (paging Mr. Morrow), the differing / exciting voices, etc. Now, it sounds like a 10-minute commercial. Was it really that difficult to insert new clips (eg Monsters Laugh Floor) to the previous narration? I also loved Horizons - yes, it could have done with updating a little bit, but was a great attraction. It also would have reduced the wait times for other attractions...

Quote Originally Posted by BrerSchultzy View Post
    You want an effective marketing campaign? Here goes. What separates one-timers from lifers? Knowledge, experience, special memories. How do you get those things? Well, I know that my wife and I (and my parents) have had numerous conversations on buses and monorails with first-timers who didn't know anything about WDW. Once we gave them a low-down, or even took them around with us, they were hooked. SOOOO...every morning, each park has a quiz in Guest Relations. During the first hour, everyone who passes the quiz (about WDW) gets a special badge. They are now Official Disney Fanatics who can help first-timers get around, answer questions, where to eat, etc. THAT produces memories. Not some picture on a castle that then gets sold to Pampers.
    I like the idea of having a Disney (theme park) quiz and proudly wearing an official 'theme park nut' button or 'ask me about WDW button.' I find it funny that there are many repeat guests that probably know more about WDW than some of the CMs...

Their loyal customers who visit multiple times? They're just Sheeple ... Disney Dweebs ... obsessed nerds who are going to make their annual pilgrimage to the Land of the Mouse. They'll come wearing their Mickey ears and Goofy hat and they'll come year after year after year, no matter how high the prices go or how bad the service gets.

That's the mentality of the suits who run Disney.
    I think most people know that the majority of Disney guests are regulars. Yes, guests do go on a regular basis and know ways to spend a little less on booking their vacation, but the key is that they are repeat guests. Wouldn't any company want guests to spend $2k on an annual trip rather guests who spend $8k once?

Someone mentioned 'thank you gifts' for repeat guests - great idea! Little things like a button, a pair of ears, an autograph book, or a nice photo frame / album can brighten someone's day or trip. Tokens of appreciation go a long way and it's about time that Disney wakes up and steps up to the plate.

When 'first timers' got special '1st visit' buttons, I felt like saying "what am I - chopped liver?" I know it was just a button, but what a way to make frequent guests feel left out...

What would Disney do if the repeat guests didn't return?

OK - I could discuss all day, but I'll get off my soap box now.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe lots of people will sit around and wait for the kick of seeing their photo on the castle. I just won't be one of them.
    I'm not 100% sure, because I got so bored with the presentation I didn't listen to the end, but I think the projections are going to be part of a "show" kind of a thing with a theme song and all.

I presume they'll flash the pictures relatively quickly (like one every five seconds or so) which only equates to a 100 second show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I'm not sure about the appreciation of DVC members, actually. I'm not one, but I wonder if they would actually prefer people not use their points so they can just use the maintenance fees to prepare the rooms for rack-rate bookings.
    Oh absolutely. I'm quite certain they would. Let's be clear ... I happen to believe DVC is a worthwhile endeavor (under certain circumstances), but it is by no means any kind of "thank you" program or frequent visitor appreciation society. It's a brilliant financial scheme for Disney.

The essentially do away with what is most likely their biggest expense (maintaining resorts) and shift those costs to the owners. They've got a self-funded resort that oh by the way also offers the potential for additional profit if they can rent out rooms for cash at certain times during the year. Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
    Wouldn't any company want guests to spend $2k on an annual trip rather guests who spend $8k once?
    Sure ... Disney appreciates your money, no doubt. But they don't particularly appreciate you, the guest. They just take you for granted. You're like the cake to them. The $8k guest is the icing and, just like everybody else, Disney likes the icing a lot better than the cake.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, seems like more is being announced at Destination D this weekend than at this news conference.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Man ... I mean this just keeps getting worse. The disneymemories.com website doesn't even work right. I, for the life of me, cannot fathom why Disney has such a ridiculously hard time getting web stuff to work?
    I don't understand that, either.

They just upgraded their Commodore 64 server to 2MB of RAM. You'd think that should have done the trick.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I like the whole idea of families being projected onto the castle BUT I do like the idea of the website with the pictures and their stories to go along with it. I also like the idea of using images and family video's for the commercials.
    That is amazing to me. I mean we all know how much Disney means to a lot of us...that is why we are on here but to share that experience is even more special. Disney means many different things to all of us. I love being able to see that through the photos and the stories.
    I don't know if Walt would have made it a big announcement that this is what was going to be done BUT I think he would have done this!!!
    The product no matter what they do is going to sell itself because we will go back for more because of all the joy it brings us. He created it as a happy place to go with his family. So now why not share all those families that it has touched?
    I know people are upset because it seems silly/cheap/easy to do etc. but I think it's heartwarming to know what and why Disney touches others.
    I don't by any means think this campaign has anything to do with getting new customers in...it's about sharing the ones they have. These are OUR stories.
    My favorite so far was the year of a million dreams. I thought that was great. This, I am not even going to compare it to that...I think this is just a fun way for the fans to express what Disney means to them.
    I know it isn't what everyone expected and I am in the minority but I like it. (I just don't like the idea of it being on the castle.....that to me is too much.....the website, commercials, etc is great though.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the minority as well. I think this sounds like fun and gives family a choice to participate if they want to, and if you don't like it then don't participate.

I've read a lot of complaints of giving up your rights to your pictures/video over to Disney. But isn't that what essentially happens when you step inside their parks? On the back of your ticket it clearly states that by entering the park Disney has the authority to use your image. I know that's not the exact wording but I didn't have a ticket in front of me. As for selling your photos to a third party, I don't think I like that idea either. But does that need be there so DVC can use these images? Since DVC is technically a separate company.

Finally, it appears that this campaign has really awaken some unhappy customers. I understand why people are disappointed, because its not the most original or magical idea. But the amount of hate seems a bit unmeasured since none of us have seen the finished product yet. (except for the website)
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Finally, it appears that this campaign has really awaken some unhappy customers. I understand why people are disappointed, because its not the most original or magical idea. But the amount of hate seems a bit unmeasured since none of us have seen the finished product yet. (except for the website)
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post

You said it. The CAMPAIGN is what is wrong with this whole thing.

I don't think, deep down, that this idea is bad. If Disney had just quietly made this addition, and sort of presented it as "oh, by the way, we have this new website where you can share your memories, and you might end up in a commercial", that would have been FINE! I would have thought is was a cute idea, and would have supported it 100%.

The issue I (and many others) have with this whole thing is the hype DISNEY created about this "HUGE Announcement", and then proceeded to let us know that this "gimmick" was going to be the centerpiece of a year long "celebration". It was underwhelming when presented that way, and a letdown after spending time imagining all the possibilities of what this "huge announcement" was going to unveil.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Just to close the loop on this, apparently memory submissions need to get reviewed first (kinda seems like a "duh" now that I think about it), which is why mine wasn't up.

It's up now, though. I got an email that it was approved and launched.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think the whole Promo thing has gotten out of hand. Disney needs to focus on their personal interaction with their guests/service and stop trying new and inventive "gimics" to attract people. It's not working. They are the #1 vacation destination inthe world. You have already won! Stop with the silly gimics already.
    Yes we all loved the Year of 1,000,000 dreams, but seriously, why do we need a new thing every year. Skip the silly promos, skip the constant "free dining" and other extras and save the money by getting bgack to basics. Other things need your PR attention much much more.
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: