Quantcast Taking DM on a "terminal" trip need help

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking DM on a "terminal" trip need help

My mother 64 was in an automobile accident 2 years ago. She was in a coma for a month and a half. She lives with me and I am her caregiver 24/7. I am her 42 yr old son. She is physically and mentally handi-capable. She has dementia and early onset Alzheimers. She took me on my first trip to DL in '72 and my first trip to DW in '84. Both of us have been to both parks numerous times. She has been asking me to take her for months. I have been waiting for her to get better physically. I asked the doctors what they thought about her going last week. They told me "you better make it soon." She is fading fast mentally. I got on the phone Monday and spent hours trying to book a room at AS S. Finally got a package booked with a guaranteed roll-in shower. I called back on Wednesday just to confirm everything was still a go. Spent hours going round and round with them because they told me they only have HC rooms with one king size bed. Well I would kind of like to have my own bed. If she wakes up in a strange place next to a strange man, I could get hurt and that is a distress she could live without. Finally they moved us to the ASM an we now have 2 beds and a roll-in shower. She was nice enough to point out that she wasn't going to charge me for changing resorts? Anyway, This may be my mom's last trip to DW and I want to make this as magical as possible for her. It has gotten off to a bad start and I am an emotional wreck already. Our trip starts with our driving to DW this Sunday. Not a lot of time. I am asking for any advice to make her trip as magical as possible. She is in a wheelchair and is a high fall risk. She can walk about 15 feet at a time and can not do any steps or stairs either up or down. She gets frightened and confused very easily. She loves children and talks to everyone she sees.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all... Welcome to Intercot

I think it is wonderful for you to make this magical trip with your mother.

I would suggest seeing the shows at the parks. You know her the best and are able to judge if she could handle any of the attractions (rides). The parks also have companion restrooms so you can take care of those needs.

You mentioned that she is a high fall risk. Is she ok in the bed? If you are not sure in a strange setting, you can request bed rails.

Have a great trip, you are such a wonderful son to make these memories.... take lots of pictures
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you,
    She is pretty good in the bed, yet this will be a strange environment for her. I will ask for the rails. I did not know they were available. She is disoriented for about 20 minutes after she wakes up. I usually wake up at 5am and just wait to help her. This being a strange environment has me a little nervous.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great gift! Disney is a great place to just go and be. It is magical just to be there, even if you are doing it at a different pace than everyone else.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you as you go on Sunday.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

It is a magical place. My mom asks me every morning if she is really going or did she dream it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    It is a magical place. My mom asks me every morning if she is really going or did she dream it.
    Oh, how sweet.

I feel for you, my grandmother also suffered from dementia and I was her caregiver and I know how quickly they can fade.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are taking her to WDW.

I don't know what "stage" your mother is in and what she would like to do, but I know my grandmother had a tendency to enjoy what children enjoy doing, and I think that if we had a chance to have taken her to WDW, she probably would have enjoyed getting her picture taken with the characters, especially the princess' and Prince Charming. She got very girly towards the end and loved dressing up and wearing lots of jewelery and I think she would have gotten a kick out of seeing all the princess' in their beautiful dresses. I also believe she would have tried to steal Prince Charming away from Cinderella, She also became quite the flirt.

Maybe your mother might enjoy going in the attraction "One man's dream" at Hollywood Studios, it is a walk through attraction that is handicap accessible that shows the life of Walt Disney, and also has a movie at the end of how he started Disney. That might be a calming attraction for her.

I hope you both have a wonderful time and have many happy memories of this trip.

I Hope You Have A Magical Vacation!
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Mother has become very girly. We went and had her hair done on Wednesday and bought new outfits for every day of the trip today (including new shoes) Unfortunately, the 2 attractions she said that she wanted to see when we went Sunday were It's a small world and One mans dream. Both are closed for refurb according to Intercot. She doesn't understand. She keeps telling me that Disney never closes when I try to explain that we won't be able to ride It's a small world.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother has become very girly. We went and had her hair done on Wednesday and bought new outfits for every day of the trip today (including new shoes) Unfortunately, the 2 attractions she said that she wanted to see when we went Sunday were It's a small world and One mans dream. Both are closed for refurb according to Intercot. She doesn't understand. She keeps telling me that Disney never closes when I try to explain that we won't be able to ride It's a small world.
    Oh man! I am so sorry about that. That really stinks! I know it can be very difficult to explain to them why they can't do something, So my suggestion, would be to avoid talking about those attractions and try to avoid going by them. Maybe she will be so excited to be in WDW she will be too distracted to ask. Or if she does bring it up you could try telling her that the ride is broken and they have to fix it, or something to that effect.

I don't know what your money situation is like, but have you thought about taking her to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique inside Cinderella's Castle? I have heard of a person on here who took their elderly grandmother to visit and she had a wonderful time. Since your mother is girlie like my grandmother was, I am sure your mom would absolutely be thrilled to be made into a real princess. I know my grandmother would have been smiling from ear to ear.

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    04/'06 1st trip back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess21 View Post
    ... Or if she does bring it up you could try telling her that the ride is broken and they have to fix it, or something to that effect.

I don't know what your money situation is like, but have you thought about taking her to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique inside Cinderella's Castle? I have heard of a person on here who took their elderly grandmother to visit and she had a wonderful time. Since your mother is girlie like my grandmother was, I am sure your mom would absolutely be thrilled to be made into a real princess. I know my grandmother would have been smiling from ear to ear.
    Thank you, Both are great ideas. I have been reading the Intercot message boards for years. I have never had to post here before and I am very thankful for all the information and advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice...I just thought you should know you are an amazing son.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry I don't have any advice but I just want to wish you a magical trip. No matter what you do it will be a memory you will keep with you forever and no matter what you do you 2 will have a great time.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone should get a surprise upgrade it should be you. Hoping this trip goes as smooth as possible for you with IASW opening up ahead of schedule. Enjoy your time with your mom and savor every moment.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone! Just had the oil changed in the car for the trip. Mom is getting so excited now. She just told me she doesn't want to wait till Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Mom is getting so excited now. She just told me she doesn't want to wait till Sunday.
    Awww, that is so sweet! I can't wait to hear how your trip went. Please tell us how it goes when you get back.

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    04/'06 1st trip back

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, that is so sweet! I can't wait to hear how your trip went. Please tell us how it goes when you get back.
    I will definitely post a trip re-cap. I will also post pictures on-line if anyone would like to see them, just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here... would love to hear all about your trip.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the sweetest thing ever! I hope you and your mom have a very magical trip!!!
    Would love to hear how it went when you get back!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful... I'm sending loads of pixie dust for a magical trip for you and your mom.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely post a trip re-cap. I will also post pictures on-line if anyone would like to see them, just let me know.
    I would love to see pictures

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    04/'06 1st trip back

Post Thanks / Like

Your story has touched my heart, may you both have a truely wonderful trip. This may be a difficult trip for you now but the memories with your mom will last you forever. Please post the pictures as I'd love to see them.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: