Quantcast Any Intercotee's in the Air Force?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Intercotee's in the Air Force?

Hi Everyone!

Lately, I have been seriously considering joining the Air Force in the future. I am 22 years old, and am currently part time in college for information technology. I also have been working in the IT field at an insurance company for the past 4 years.

I was looking into joining the USAF after high school, however I would have been disqualified due to carpal tunnel in both of my hands. In August, I had surgery on my right hand, and will be having surgery next month on my left hand to correct the problem. If everything looks well with the recovery after 6 months or so, I think I would be qualified to join.

I know enlisting would be a major decision, and I have a lot of thinking to do in the future. I want to absolutely make sure I am making the right choice if I join.

I was wondering if any Intercotees were currently a member of the Air Force (or any other branch!), and if they had any advice for joining, or any advice for as to how you knew you made the right decision in joining?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books that might have information? I have read the Airman's Guide, as well as an outdated "Guide to Joining the Military" book, however I have not been able to find too many books at the library/bookstores regarding the Air Force.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
    Melissa

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome - thank you for your willingness to serve!!

I am not in the service however my df and db were in the Air Force (both officers). My other db was a Marines and my ds is currently in the Marines. Coming from that perspective I would say the Air Force life is pretty good, especially if you an officer. Joining the military was the right decision for my ds. He postponed deciding for over a year and once he talked to his recruiter he just knew. He signed up on the Delayed Entry program so he could finish out the semester at college before starting bootcamp.

There is a lot to consider and you will know what is best for you. Best wishes as you look into your options.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a former USAF officer, and understand your desire to join. You may be able to get a waiver, so keep at it. Being in the IT field, you have skills that should be sought after. Also, the skills you learn in any service will you a great advantage in the civilian world. Best of luck
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both! I really appreciate it.

From what I have researched, they allow people to enlist after carpal tunnel surgery, as long as there are no signs of carpal tunnel/weakness afterwards. So hopefully my hands will heal up nicely

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, just wanted to post an update

I started working with a recruiter last month. Today I just found out that my medical paperwork will be cleared, but not until April which will be the 6th month mark of my last hand surgery. That is fine with me. I have completed everything for enlistment except my final physical, which I will do in April. After that, I will swear into the Delayed Entry Program. Hopefully I would be able to go to basic training around November/December of this year.

Also, in other news, I will be moving to Orlando with my family in May. Can't wait to be minutes away from WDW!

I am very excited for what is to come!

Post Thanks / Like

You have a lot of exciting stuff coming up! Good luck with your basic training, and have fun with the adventure you are beginning. The Air Force really has some exciting duty stations around the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Just joining the conversation, and wanted to say congratulations, and thanks for choosing to serve your country in this manner. I have a son who has been in the Air Force now for about 6 months. He has finished Basic and is now in training at Fort Shepherd AFB outside of Wichita Falls, TX. Myself, I am former Army. I served 4 years and decided to take my experience and training and put it to use in the civillian market place. My time in was enjoyable and very rewarding and wouldn't trade it for anything. I was trained in Computer Programming by the Army and still work in that career field.

Can you tell the job/skill you will be training and working in?

If not already, I would start now physically preparing for Basic. The better shape you're in physically, the better you will do.

Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Oh, and, lucky you and your family in the move to Florida. Enjoy it while you're there. Hopefully it doesn't make you not want to join the Air Force.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Melanie!

@Grumpyfan - Thanks! I will be signing the enlistment papers in April, and at that time I will be providing a list of the top 10 - 15 jobs that I'd like. Once one becomes available, I'll be able to sign a contract for that, and then find out my ship date for basic.

I took the ASVAB last week, and I am qualified for all jobs (aside from special operations). My top choice is Diagnostic Imaging, however I know medical jobs are hard to come by in the AF. How does your son like the Air Force so far?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMelissa View Post
    I took the ASVAB last week, and I am qualified for all jobs (aside from special operations). My top choice is Diagnostic Imaging, however I know medical jobs are hard to come by in the AF. How does your son like the Air Force so far?
    If I can make a suggestion, figure out 2 or 3 jobs that you want, and aim for those. Keep in mind the recruiter is a salesman, he's going to want to sell you what he has currently. So, if what you want isn't available yet, he might not offer it to you. Hold out for what you want, after all you're giving them 4+ years of your life, make it count.

My son is liking it so far, he's still in training and will headed for Nellis next in Nevada.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enlisted!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to post an update on my journey to the Air Force.

Tuesday, May 31st...I took my oath of enlistment into the US Air Force! I am really excited and a little nervous, but that's to be expected

I'm not sure when I'll be leaving for basic training, yet. When I took my oath on Tuesday, I had to list my top 10 jobs that I would be interested in. Once a spot becomes available for one of those jobs, then I'll be able to sign a new contract for that job, and will then find out what day I'll be leaving. Hopefully I will find out which job I am getting this summer, and it's estimated I'd leave sometime between September and February.

My top job choice is Diagnostic Imaging, but I have also put down about 5 computer related jobs, Space System Operations, and a few Intel jobs.

I'm excited for a new journey!

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa, congratulations! This sounds so exciting for you!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, good luck... and THANK YOU.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had seen this earlier. I resigned 11 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed - you probably know it better than I do. I was an officer in Security Police The Air Force is highly technical so I'm sure you will get one of the assignments you want. Most of the "space systems" jobs may actually be for missle weapons which means assignments to northern bases or Vandenburg. The other jobs you mentioned could be anywhere - take advantage of that and do some overseas assignments if you can. I had a blast in Korea. Have a great time at Lackland and thanks for serving.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, everyone

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: