Quantcast Wheel chair rental for knee injury?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheel chair rental for knee injury?

Hello,
    Has anyone ever done this? A few months ago my wife injured her knee - torn cartilage and tendon. The Dr. said it'll take 6 mos - 1 year to completely heal, and that she should walk on it in the meantime (up to a point). She's been walking, but sometimes it gets pretty painful. I'm thinking we may need to rent a wheelchair for our trip in 3 weeks. Again, she can walk on it, but I'm not so sure about all those miles every day.

How does it work? If we do rent one, could we just park it outside rides, so we could walk in the normal queue lines? She won't have any trouble with lines (ones without stairs, that is).

Thanks for the help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally there is a special line for people in wheelchairs and their families, when it gets time to board the ride there is a place to park the wheelchairs.....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

If her doc said she should walk on it as much as possible, I would walk. Take it slow. If it bothers her to a point, she could always go rent one then. But she might be doing more damage by not using the muscles.
    Has she been in therapy?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard several people who have used them for knee, foot, hip etc. I have scoliosis and have had several back surgeries with metal implants throughout my torso and I should use one but I am too embarrassed because you can't see my injury. However, I did order this cane from the Skymall magazine which opens to a little chair so when I have to stand in a long line or stand for a while, I can actually carry around the chair to sit when I need it. I have been using it for about 6 months and it has really helped. So now I can walk as much as I can and then rest a bit without having to worry about finding a close seat. And it is easier to manuver than a wheelchair.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

You should go to guest services at the first park you go to and get a Guest assistance Card(GAC). Tell them you need to avoids stairs. I did this after my knee surgery. You will use the same card during you entire stay.

Post Thanks / Like

In the last several years, I've had both knee and foot surgery. The first time I went to Disney after my knee surgery, I was surprised by how quickly I got tired. We did spend more time in our resort that trip but I opted not to rent a chair. I was told the same thing after my knee surgery and the time to complete healing was certainly right on the mark.

Most recently, I was recovering from foot surgery and seriously considered renting an ECV for our trip but decided I would make the decision after I arrived. I did better than I thought though I was still a bit slow and we did still spend more time at our resort than might be typical.

If you need to rent, push wheelchairs and ECV's are available at all parks on a first-come, first-served basis. If capable of walking onto rides and only needed to get from point a to b, you can certainly park the chair outside the ride (just as strollers are parked) and walk through the lines.

Best of luck to your wife as she recuperates!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    You should go to guest services at the first park you go to and get a Guest assistance Card(GAC). Tell them you need to avoids stairs. I did this after my knee surgery. You will use the same card during you entire stay.
    WOW, this is terrific advice! I didn't know about this. Stairs are definately the BIG problem. Walking and standing (for reasonable amounts of time) are not bad. Bending the knee hurts.

So, if we get the GAC, how will we avoid stairs on certain rides (like Splash Mtn)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    If her doc said she should walk on it as much as possible, I would walk. Take it slow. If it bothers her to a point, she could always go rent one then. But she might be doing more damage by not using the muscles.
    Has she been in therapy?
    She wasn't told to walk as much as possible - just to walk regularly - which we have been doing. She'll walk even when it hurts. She deals with pain great. So much so, that I'm concerned she'll go too far and re-injure it. That's why I'm planning ahead to do something in case I think she's pushed it too far.

Yes, she been doing therapy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    In the last several years, I've had both knee and foot surgery. The first time I went to Disney after my knee surgery, I was surprised by how quickly I got tired. We did spend more time in our resort that trip but I opted not to rent a chair. I was told the same thing after my knee surgery and the time to complete healing was certainly right on the mark.

Most recently, I was recovering from foot surgery and seriously considered renting an ECV for our trip but decided I would make the decision after I arrived. I did better than I thought though I was still a bit slow and we did still spend more time at our resort than might be typical.

If you need to rent, push wheelchairs and ECV's are available at all parks on a first-come, first-served basis. If capable of walking onto rides and only needed to get from point a to b, you can certainly park the chair outside the ride (just as strollers are parked) and walk through the lines.

Best of luck to your wife as she recuperates!
    Thank you! That answers my question perfectly. That's exactly what I'm thinking. She'll want to walk and stand in lines like everyone else as much as she can. I'm thinking wheelchair to get from point a to b (ride to ride, and cross-park).

I think we'll be having a more relaxing than usual WDW trip this time too...which is fine with us. We're used to kinda storming the parks and riding rides multiple times. This time, we're thinking more about seeing all the shows. But, we still won't want to miss our favorite rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disnamic Duo View Post
    WOW, this is terrific advice! I didn't know about this. Stairs are definately the BIG problem. Walking and standing (for reasonable amounts of time) are not bad. Bending the knee hurts.

So, if we get the GAC, how will we avoid stairs on certain rides (like Splash Mtn)?
    At Splash Mountain, guests in wheelchairs or with a no-stairs card, will go through the standard queue up until the building. Shortly before the stairs - there is a small wheelchair sign. That leads to an alternate load path - bringing you in the stair free path / loading at the exit. There will be a cast member to direct you.

At times the stair free lines / wait areas can be long -- such as Big Thunder Mountain. There, a line often forms. Because the whole que is stairs - you'll need to use the handicapped / wheelchair entry. I'd recommend staying in the chair while you wait, as this will not change your wait and will take the pressure off your injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5togetherWDW View Post
    At Splash Mountain, guests in wheelchairs or with a no-stairs card, will go through the standard queue up until the building. Shortly before the stairs - there is a small wheelchair sign. That leads to an alternate load path - bringing you in the stair free path / loading at the exit. There will be a cast member to direct you.

At times the stair free lines / wait areas can be long -- such as Big Thunder Mountain. There, a line often forms. Because the whole que is stairs - you'll need to use the handicapped / wheelchair entry. I'd recommend staying in the chair while you wait, as this will not change your wait and will take the pressure off your injury.
    Great info! Thanks very much. This is really good to know. I assume all rides have this type of way of avoiding stairs, right? This is the one thing I was most worried about - bending her knee on stairs is the worst thing for her. (The Dr. told her stairs would be bad.)

Post Thanks / Like

Totally take everyone's advice here. When I went in August with my knee injury, I went sans chair and regretted it by noon!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW