Quantcast Wheelchair/Knee injury Part 2?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheelchair/Knee injury Part 2?

Thanks for all the great help on my first question. Now for another concern about my wife's knee injury (cartilege & ligament tear): I know there are certain rides we should avoid because she'd be sure to have the knee banged around, but some I'd like your opinions on. Please let me know what you think of the following (would these be rough on the knees?):
    1. Splash Mtn?
    2. Tower of Terror?
    3. Expedition Everest?
    4. Mission: Space?

I'm thinking these are definately OUT (what do you think?
    1. Big Thunder Mtn RR
    2. Space Mtn
    3. Dinosaur
    4. RnRoller Coaster
    5. Test Track

I think these should be fine - what do you think?
    1. Pirate of Caribbean
    2. Haunted Mansion

THANKS for your help!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, following knee surgery, I didn't find that I needed to avoid any of the Disney rides. As long as the doctor okays the trips and rides, I think you'd be fine.

My biggest issue was stamina - I'd get pretty tired fo walking - sooner than I expected I would. Stairs were also the most difficult but I had been told it would be close to a year before I'd be able to go up or down a flight of stairs without being conscious of my knee and that was true.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The only one that stands out to me is Dinosaur because you tend to get jerked around a lot in this one...I got a crick in my neck last time I rode

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    To be honest, following knee surgery, I didn't find that I needed to avoid any of the Disney rides. As long as the doctor okays the trips and rides, I think you'd be fine.

My biggest issue was stamina - I'd get pretty tired fo walking - sooner than I expected I would. Stairs were also the most difficult but I had been told it would be close to a year before I'd be able to go up or down a flight of stairs without being conscious of my knee and that was true.
    Same for me. The worst ride was being cramped in the IASW boat and POTC, other than those I had no problems. I had just finished physical therapy a week before our trip from a major knee surgery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medic9016 View Post
    Same for me. The worst ride was being cramped in the IASW boat and POTC, other than those I had no problems. I had just finished physical therapy a week before our trip from a major knee surgery.
    Wow, that's good to know. I can see where the IASW and PoTC could be a problem now that you mention it. You have to really bend your leg to fit in the seats. Fortunately for my wife, she's not real tall (average height), so it shouldn't be too bad for her.

I was thinking the same as the one poster above regarding Dinosaur - you really get thrown back and forth a lot. I guess I was thinking the same about BTMRR too. Those two rides didn't hurt your knee? My wife's knee hurts if it gets banged from the side. Do you remember if your knees got banged on the sides on those rides?

Post Thanks / Like

My DSIL went (diagnosed the week before we left) with 3 fractures (nondisplaced) in her tibial plateau (weight bearing porting of her knee). She was in an immobilizer and not allowed to put weight on it, and the only things she didn't do on your list were: EE, Splash, BTMRR, Dinosaur, SM, RnRC..all because she is tall (6')and couldn't position her leg in the small spaces those rides required. On POTC she sat in a seat with DBIL sideways so she could keep her knee extended. The rides like ToT and Soaring where her leg could dangle were the best but with ligament issues these may be uncomfortable for your wife. Does your wife have a brace for supporting the knee medial/lateral? We rented an ECV for the week due to her non weight bearing status, we knew she would not be able to crutch the distances needed, she balked initially, but within the first 4 hours on day one she was thanking me for insisting on it. We definitely went at a slower pace which was fine, her only complaint was that she got tired of looking at everyone's backside by the end of the week. I teased her that she got a taste of my world (I am petite). We found the GAC card to be convenient but not necessary. Most queues have been configured to allow w/c and ECV's to stay in the general line. One notable exception was Haunted Mansion, at the ghost horse you stop and wait for a CM who takes you backstage (basically thru exit area) and you wait in the servants quarters to get on the ride, it was pretty cool to see this area. Have a great trip.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest, I wen't to Disney last time with a ligament tear and a pretty serious brace and didn't have any problems on the rides. The only issue I experienced all day was that it took me a little longer than others to load rides and one impatient ride operator shut the gate on my foot on Splash while I was trying to board.

However, like the previous posters, my big problem was stamina. Just be sure to take a lot of breaks, have a lot of advil (or whatever else she is taking) available and she should be fine.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    I'll be honest, I wen't to Disney last time with a ligament tear and a pretty serious brace and didn't have any problems on the rides. The only issue I experienced all day was that it took me a little longer than others to load rides and one impatient ride operator shut the gate on my foot on Splash while I was trying to board.

However, like the previous posters, my big problem was stamina. Just be sure to take a lot of breaks, have a lot of advil (or whatever else she is taking) available and she should be fine.
    What kind of brace did you have? The only thing we have (at recommendation of Dr.) is one of those wrap around things with velcro (it does have some metal, side, vertical supports). We'll take lots of breaks. She's going to the Dr. next week to get a re-fill on the pain prescription. Yeah, I expect slow going on getting on rides (especially ones you have to get down into (like Splash). I'm not going to be too happy if someone closes a gate on my wife.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. It's good to hear from others who've experienced the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use any company, use Apple. I have been pushing them on here for a logn time, but there's a reason. they are awesome. They are cheap, the cheapest by far.... and w/o a doubt the best customer service i have ever had outside Disney!
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

One other tip...we took 2 reusable gel ice packs and kept them in the room fridge for the evenings. I packed them in my checked bags and just put them in plastic bags in case they got punctured- but no problems. DSIL said they were a huge relief at the end of the day.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disnamic Duo View Post
    What kind of brace did you have? The only thing we have (at recommendation of Dr.) is one of those wrap around things with velcro (it does have some metal, side, vertical supports). We'll take lots of breaks. She's going to the Dr. next week to get a re-fill on the pain prescription. Yeah, I expect slow going on getting on rides (especially ones you have to get down into (like Splash). I'm not going to be too happy if someone closes a gate on my wife.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. It's good to hear from others who've experienced the same thing.
    I had a hinged brace that went from more than half way down my calf to half way up my thigh. Tore my MCL and had a bad bone bruise but thank goodness no cartilage damage. I was with my sister and I did not want her to have to push me around so I "toughed it out" and was in a lot of pain around lunch time, and dinner time too. She was really great about slowing down for me when needed!

Good luck. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW