Quantcast Family of boy killed in April Disney bus crash files lawsuit

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family of boy killed in April Disney bus crash files lawsuit

From 13 News:

Family of boy killed in Disney bus crash files lawsuit

ORLANDO -- The family of a 9-year-old boy killed while riding his bike at a Walt Disney World resort filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the company.

Attorneys for the family of Chase Brubaker said Disney's negligent behavior caused the crash.

They claim Walt Disney World failed Brubaker and caused his death by neglecting to design a road that would keep him safe from harm.

"They created a foreseeable zone of danger where they knew children and pedestrians would be," said Karen Terry, the Brubaker family's attorney.

That foreseeable zone of danger is along Big Pine Road inside Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

Court documents claim Brubaker was killed because the sidewalk is too close to the road, the bus wasn't properly maintained, and the bus driver didn't get adequate breaks throughout the day.

The Brubaker's lawsuit faces an uphill battle.

Disney was cleared of wrongdoing by the Florida Highway Patrol.

In the crash report, the FHP said the crash happened because the boy's bike had a flat tire that he shouldn't have been riding on.

“We have had accident reconstructionists, biomechanical engineers and human factors experts come out to the scene, and they disagree with the FHP’s finding,” Terry said.

Although the lawsuit primarily focuses on Walt Disney World, the Brubaker family is also suing the man who was driving the bus.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You know ... I started to reply to this one way, but then it occurred to me that a nine year old boy lost his life in this accident and that's just a terrible, terrible tragedy.

I don't want to pass any judgement on the behavior of a parent who's experienced such an unimaginable loss.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what we'd do if the little guy died in an accident - especially an accident like this at FW...

Shock, grief, anger, denial? All those emotions would be in play. But after a while, acceptance would set in, and faith that the little guy would be in a place much better than DW.

And afterward, I think if some lawyer came knocking at my door thinking to enrich himself through half of a lawsuit or settlement (and I doubt this would ever go to trial, instead it'd be settled out of court) - then said lawyer would better hope that I don't have a baseball bat, cane, large stick, or 2x4 handy.

I don't blame the family here - I blame the (censored-censored doubly censored) lawyer advising the family on this one, preying on their loss. Bloody (censored) vulture...

My heart goes out to the family.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

That is terrible, and yeah I'm not sure how to respond to this one either....
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

I think about this specific tragedy a lot. My heart goes out to the family. We do not know what went on there. I remember listening to the 911 callers from that incident and they are horrible. I can't even imagine what the family is still going through.
    They lost 2 children from freak accidents like this. I think they blame themselves enough so I wouldn't even dare blame them for any of this. No one asks to have a child die...there are no words to explain that or a way to come to terms with it.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

This is so sad on so many different levels. I feel so sorry for the bus driver as from reading the full article the family is sueing him as well. It was an accident, however tragic, it was an accident. My daughter is a WDW bus driver and from what she tells me WDW goes out of their way to make sure the busses are maintained and are safe, the drivers take regular breaks and do not work beyond the legal limitations.

I think the family is receiving some bad legal advice from an "attorney" who is out to make a name for himself and sees dollar signs instead of compassion. My heart goes out to the family and I hope that somehow they can realize that hurting the bus driver and reaping some monetary reward will not help their grief or bring their son back.

Prayers and sympathy for everyone involved... -- tory
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Grandmom's house in St. Augustine - 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    July '12 POFQ

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Feb '13 Cars family suite!

Post Thanks / Like

I so agree with what each of you has to say. Such an unimaginable loss. No winners anywhere in this situation.
    JANE

```````````````````````````````````````
    Last trip Oct 27-31-HALLOWEEN trip, Wilderness Lodge Club level
    Next trip ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    They lost 2 children from freak accidents like this.
    Two????

Don't mean to offend, but two???? Perhaps, hands off parenting?
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry that this family has had so much tragedy. I hope they are able to find some peace and comfort.

Also, very sorry that there is no real hope for tort reform in this country.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope that the family didn't hook up with a sleazy attorney. They are obviously hurting and grieving the loss of their son. I really can't imagine...
    Sleazy attorneys prey on families who are grieving.

I'm sure this will get settled.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

As many others have written, this is a terrible tragedy.

I just don't understand what the parents seek to gain by suing the bus driver. He was found not at fault and he has no deep pockets. The FHA found that the child's bike had a flat tire, so basically he was riding on faulty equipment, which I'm assuming was his own bike from home and not a rental from WDW.

The only thing that I could think of that could work in favor of the parents' is that there was no barrier that separated the sidewalk from the road, which could have prevented the child's bike from going on the road.

Still sounds like an ambulance chaser lawyer to me.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You know ... I started to reply to this one way, but then it occurred to me that a nine year old boy lost his life in this accident and that's just a terrible, terrible tragedy.
    Ditto. But in my head .

I can not imagine my state if something happened to DS9.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed emotions about this as well. The only thing I can compare this to is when a friend of mine at age 10 was accidentatly shot and killed by another 10 year old. My friends family didn't sue the other family or the gun manufacture. The did however tried to make it mandatory for the gun to have a safety (which it didn't).

So my point is I can understand suing to some extent but why not be more focused on making the road safer instead of looking for money?

Either way a life was cut way to short and nothing can change that.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    Two????

Don't mean to offend, but two???? Perhaps, hands off parenting?
    They had an older son that had died in a drowning.
    These are two freak accidents that can happen to anyone. Unfortunately in this case it was within the same family.
    I'm not sure how anyone can blame the parents for freak accidents. I mean they were allowing him to go to the arcade with his friend (and were meeting up with him in a little while)....how many people on here have let their older child go off without them there? I have read many people's posts doing the same thing. Anything can happen to anyone.
    It's a sad story. My heart goes out to them.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have mixed feelings about this lawsuit. I have no idea what I would do in these parents' shoes. We can all say we love Disney and would never sue but put us in this situation and who knows what we'd do. My heart breaks for this family.

As far as the lawyer who filed the suit, we do have to remember that this is his job. He would be negligent if he did not file multiple complaints. Do I think it's right and do I agree with it? No, but it's the way the system works.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

While I sympathize with the family on their loss, I will not accept their attempts to profit from the unexpected loss of a child. This type of behavior has become far too common in this society.

Accept responsibility for your actions and those of your child god rest their soul. These frivolous lawsuits have to stop.
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I will not accept their attempts to profit from the unexpected loss of a child. This type of behavior has become far too common in this society.

Accept responsibility for your actions and those of your child. These frivolous lawsuits have to stop.
    Yep, same goes for the lawsuit just filed by at least one of the folks who witnessed the killer whale attack at Sea World. Is the money really going to fix anything? As I heard a few people say recently, you can't fix stupid!

I agree with BTLS in that the losing party should incur ALL the legal expenses. And/or some kind of common sense court as a prequel to these hitting the big time. It would get rid of a lot of this bull from the legal system I think.

Unfortunately, I think we all know that Disney will quietly make this one go away and the trend will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if lawyers had to be paid even if they lost cases and that instead of monetary settlements problems had to be corrected, people would be less likely to sue. It seems to be all about the money.

I think these people are going to be fighting an uphill battle and even if there's a settlement, they won't see a whole lot.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I understand peoples hesitation in saying anything negative about the parents, because of the situation...but lets not foget one very important thing.

They are KNOWINGLY, in a SEPERATE lawsuit, going after the poor bus driver.

Take a moment to digest that. This is a person who makes a moderate hourly rate, and has a life/family of their own, and these people are going to put that person through HELL. Unless that bus came up over the curb, then he shouldn't even be MENTIONED in this scenario.

The stress of dealing with this is going to be horrible for that driver. These people are ruining someones life, win or lose in the suit.

Pathetic.
    '02 F!, Voyage, FOLK, CSC, Cin-Bra, DAwM, DDCT, MJJP, BpB, Accent/Face Trainer
    '05 Tokyo Disney performer
    '07 Equity, Pirate Tutorial, Green Army Man, Pirates Dinner Adventure, P&P Swordfighter, Grinchmas
    '09 Producer: The Marriage Ref
    '10 Show Writer: Universal Studios

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for the parents , but will money helpthe situation? What is the purpose of the lawsuit? It will not bring their child back and it will not make DW any safer. If you are going bring a lawsuit, have a purpose to make things better, punish those who have done wrong, or to prevent this from happening to someone else. DW did nothing wrong and punishing them for this does nobody any good. I beta lawyer talked them into it and it is all about greed. I know it is easy to say while not being in this exact situation, but I hope that I could stand on my morals and do the right thing.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06