Quantcast Quick Service Seating Rules in Effect - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Gee, I can't wait to see what my wife says when we order our food at Pecos Bill's Cafe, I stay in line to carry the food, she goes and gets a table with the kids (5 and under), and a CM says "you can't sit without food". After a long day in the parks, and she being with child (5 months along at the time of our trip), that may not go so well. Yikes. I only hope it's over by the time I get there.

All kidding aside, I don't know that this is a great policy. Do I have my kids and wife find a seat where they can be contained, or do I let them crash into everyone else in line for the 5-10 minutes I wait on our food?

Also, if the aisles are too narrow for strollers, then they're too narrow for wheelchairs and ECVs. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen.

This makes sense for the extreme-crowd Holiday seasons, which may only last a few days at a time. But doing this any other time seems like it would create a lot of unneeded confrontations.

I agree,will totally tick me off lol

seems its going to be more crowded,where you pay/order,and hectic with kids standing in line along side(bad idea)when they could be sitting...I mean we are paying $ to say we CANNOT save a table is down right rediculous!?
    Dec 2010~Pop Century
    May 2008~Coronado Springs
    Sep 2005~Port Orleans(fq)
    Oct 2003~LBV
    April 2001~Allstar Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If it can be considered unfair or rude on the part of WDW to not be allowed to occupy a table until you have purchased food and are ready to eat, then it is equally unfair and rude on the part of guests to be allowed to occupy tables without food and force other guests with food to stand around waiting on a table while others just sit waiting. You can't have it both ways.
    The only really fair solution is those who have purchased food get first dibs on seats. That is what WDW has done. Don't blame Disney, blame those who take up valuable table space and have been forcing others to stand and wait with trays of food. My family has been guilty of grabbing a table and holding it for 15 20 minutes while one of us is in line. But that doesn't mean I can justify that it's unfair for WDW to stop the practice.

in reality, this is no different that having one family member stand in line at an attraction (holding your table) while everyone else sits or goes to the bathroom (or anything else), and then running up and passing everyone else in line to be seated on the attraction with your family member who has held the spot in line.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

An observation: When I go to McDonald's or Burger King or Taco Bell, I already know what my little ones are going to get and my wife tells me what she wants. She takes them to a table while I order. Then (oh the humanity), I go sit down while I wait on our food. That's right. No food and I'm sitting down - even on a busy Sunday afternoon. This is pretty universal at any fast-food joint.

Is Dinsey fixing a problem or creating a new one? Or both?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I feel kinda bad for the CM's that have to carry out the rules here. Its a policy they didn't come up with, but they have to spend countless hours making sure that (most likely) hot-headed and rude guests, who granted have paid ALOT of money to be in WDW, follow the rules that the CM have been put in charge of enforcing. In my opinion, all in all, its kinda a raw deal for everyone. I hate seeing CMs get frustrated and control crazy and strict, but when dealing with that many people I guess you do have to be firm and stand your ground.

I haven't experienced it yet, but we've been going to Cosmic Rays forever, and I've been with exhausted 5 year old twins, and waiting in line to order food was definitely not in the cards for them. Oh well, hopefully things will go smoothly. Praying for grace all around!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgirl View Post
    Praying for grace all around!
    Amen, sister!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

For better or worse, it's sad that it comes down to this, isn't it?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that someone brought up Cosmic Ray's. It's one place that I've hesitated to go back to, because when my son was small, as a single mom, I had no choice but to take him on line with me to get our food and then try to find a table. It's basically impossible at Cosmic Ray's and more than once, we had to eat outside on a bench because so many tables were taken up by people waiting for their food to arrive. It was very frustrating (and even harrowing when you're trying to carry cups of soda without spilling them). Same deal at Electric Umbrella though there does seem to be more seating available there if you're willing to go outside.

So what's the happy medium? What would people suggest to ensure that all guests are able to sit and enjoy a hot meal?
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I see what they're trying to do but I think it's silly either way. CS is the equivalent of Fast Food. I don't know of any fast food restaurants that dictate how or when or why you get a table. If Disney was serious about this, they need to create a waiting area for all these families and children to be able to SIT while the one adult gets the food. Expecting hoards of people to wait in a line of a small restaurant or standing around crowding the walkways is again, silly. They need to think this one all the way through if they want it to work successfully.

Post Thanks / Like

Which is worse, having to stand in line or wait somewhere other than a table while someone else in your party goes to purchase your meals?
    OR,
    Having to stand around with a tray full of food AFTER you have already paid for your meal, waiting on a table to empty while their are plenty of tables occupied by people who haven't purchased their food yet?

Which seems more unfair?
    It seems like an easy answer to me.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Usually I get in line while DH and the DDs sit down at a table. However, we always go off-peak season, and usually off-peak eating times as well, so we've never done this when the place was packed. There are always more tables available.

I can definitely see how frustrating it would be to have your food and have no hope of getting a table to eat it at. I'm optimistic about this new system as long as they provide space for family to wait. It wouldn't be a big deal if we all got in line, but it seems kind of pointless to take up that much space in the line when we don't need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Less Structure

This needs less structure. We never have any problem finding and choosing a table at Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray' because we don't insist on eating at exactly 12 noon.

The next time your gang balks at being at the MK for 8am EMH do what I did. Breakfast bars then go go go from 8am to 11am and walk into Peco's Bill's at 11am. You'll feel like you have to ask, "Are you open?" Then enjoy your lunch as the place fills up. The Last time I did this with my wife's family, as we were leaving the restaurant my MIL noticed the long lines to order food and the full restaurant and turned to me and said, "So THAT'S why we ate lunch at 11am!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    This needs less structure. We never have any problem finding and choosing a table at Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray' because we don't insist on eating at exactly 12 noon.

The next time your gang balks at being at the MK for 8am EMH do what I did. Breakfast bars then go go go from 8am to 11am and walk into Peco's Bill's at 11am. You'll feel like you have to ask, "Are you open?" Then enjoy your lunch as the place fills up. The Last time I did this with my wife's family, as we were leaving the restaurant my MIL noticed the long lines to order food and the full restaurant and turned to me and said, "So THAT'S why we ate lunch at 11am!"
    That's pretty much how we do it too.

That said, I think the new system is has great potential for solving the seating issue. The challenge at Disney is that most people in there are going to want to grab some food during the day. If famililes have pitched their tents at the available tables for long periods before they even get their food, then while they eat, there will not be enough tables for everyone. It's pretty simple to see how to reduce this effect.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

This must be for peak times because I haven't seen ant of the new policies this week. I have eaten twice at Pecos Bill's and saw people saving tables without being told not to.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy am I glade I found this thread! Hope it works!

Post Thanks / Like

It is all about crowd control and in recent years that seems to be the main thing Disney is interested in.
    Other than getting as many of your $$$ as they can, of course.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You know I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason why, but logic tells me this policy in no way allows more people to get tables.

I think it's because it's pretty safe to assume a relatively fixed number of people are choosing to eat a given restaurant on a given day and that restaurant has a fixed number of tables available at which guests are only willing to spend a relatively fixed period of time.

All this does, it would seem to me, is punish folks who'd like to be able to sit down for a bit while their food is being prepared (which, I might add, often takes an inordinate amount of time since the restaurants are short-staffed and there aren't enough of them anymore).

Seems like a policy convenient for Disney, but not so much for the guests. More inside-out thinking ...
    Last edited by Ian; 12-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't decide how I feel about this. Maybe I have to experience it before I make my final decision...
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think it's because it's pretty safe to assume a relatively fixed number of people are choosing to eat a given restaurant on a given day and that restaurant has a fixed number of tables available at which guests are only willing to spend a relatively fixed period of time.
    This may be true, but I will mention that we don't frequent MK much because of the crowds. EVERYTHING is a nightmare at MK. Getting there (especailly if you are off-site), the ride queues, the food places, etc. Making it easier to eat could make a difference. I'm in the minority though, seems most people don't care about the crowds and mishandling of them.

All this does, it would seem to me, is punish folks who'd like to be able to sit down for a bit while their food is being prepared (which, I might add, often takes an inordinate amount of time since the restaurants are short-staffed and there aren't enough of them anymore).
    It does have the possibility of turning over tables faster. The faster you can sit down and eat, the faster you're back out spending money. For the average guest, it doesn't save significant time (although it does save significant frustration in finding a table), but when you multiply that time by the number of guests, you do see significant time savings, which does equate to more throughput possible at the restaurant. If it saves 3 minutes per family, multiple that by what? 1500 families throughout the day, that's 75 HOURS of "extra" time. Say it takes 20 minutes for the average family to eat, that's an extra 225 families that could be brought through the restaurant in a given day. Multiply that by the average cost of a meal and that's probably a significant amount of money that Disney could be turning away.

We've already established the food and merchandise are big profit centers for Disney... So giving them the possibility of higher profitability SHOULD be a priority.

This could even have something to do with the number of DDP credits that are out there as well. They may need to increase the capcity at the restaurants becuase of the number of DDP credits they are selling. Instead of opening another restaurant which will cost more, they may have no otrher choice than to make it possible for more poeple to eat the ones they have.

Seems like a policy convenient for Disney, but not so much for the guests. More inside-out thinking ...
    Yes and no.. I appreciated the policy in the summer. It IS required during peak times, but I can't see them doing this at off times. I agree with TRS that I think if more parents were parenting their kids, it probably wouldn't be such a pain when you're ordering food. The conjestion could be resolved if people didn't bring their McClaren Family Truckster stroller with them and if they didn't pack like it was a real two week safari. Also, knowing what you want before you get into line would help as well, instead of asking Bobby, Cindy, Jan, Peter, Greg and Marsha while the CM is trying to input the order.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I still don't think it makes a difference. I mean you can only occupy a table that's vacant, right? So if my waiting family wasn't sitting at it someone else would be. And even if it was someone with food then I'd just be standing there waiting for the table after my order was completed.

To me it only changes who is waiting not how long people wait.

Again, I think the amount of time people will devote to eating is fixed. If I sit 10 minutes before I get my food I'm getting up as soon as I'm done eating and going back out on rides. If I have to stand and wait for a table before I can eat, I'm going to sit 10 minutes after I'm done eating just to get the extra rest. Either way, I'm only willing to sit for x number of minutes before I get going again.

I think it's six of one/half dozen of the other. Seems on the surface like it accomplishes something, but I doubt it actually does.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to stand and wait for a table before I can eat, I'm going to sit 10 minutes after I'm done eating just to get the extra rest.
    Nope! As to take the last swallow, your kids are wondering what you're doing next...

For the Disney geek, sure, spending ten minutes milling about to catch a second wind is more probable than not. But for a lot of folks, I think they are going to tear out of there so they can hurry up and wait in another line.

And if it's a wash, I'd rather be able to eat my food while it's hot than when it's cold.

I don 't think there's bene much mention of this either. It could be to keep people who bring their own food out of the restaurants. I'd rather the seats be available for paying customers of the restaurant, not hikers who packed their Thansgiving meal in a rolling cooler. I've seen that too...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: