Quantcast WDW After Chemo?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW After Chemo?

Hi

I am planning a surprise WDW trip for April 16. I am beginning chemo on January 18th and finishing up on March 22nd.

Is it realistic to keep my plans as they are, or should I cancel?

Of course, I didnt buy insurance (I know...I know). If I bought it now, its too late, its a pre-existing condition.

I guess it isnt so much about the $$ as it is being disappointed in not going.
    My dose is going to be low and its once every 3 weeks. 4 times.

Can anyone share any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to say. Every person reacts to chemo differently. You might be fine, but you also might be very weak. Maybe plan on renting an ECV if you feel weak. My biggest concern would be the germ factor. WDW is a VERY germy place with lots of parents bringing sick kids, unfortunately. I might suggest you have a mask or something. Definitely wash your hands often as your immune system will be weakened. On the positive, the WDW trip will be something to look forward to that can keep you focused and positive during your treatments. Most folks I know are feeling considerably better within a couple of weeks of treatment, especially considering how short term yours will be. I'd say take the extra precautions and enjoy yourself!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest discussing the issue with your doctors. As Chris noted, each person reacts differently to the treatment. You may also want to judge how you're doing after the first 1-2 treatments.

Good luck to you! I wish you a speedy recovery!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice to offer but well wishes & much pixie dust to you!

I do hope you're able to make your trip (as already mentioned, what a great thing to look forward to) but more than that I pray your health will be restored!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your well wishes.

Definitely good to get some different opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

While I haven't any chemo experience or advice, I have some trip experience...

If you aren't able to make your trip instead of canceling it all together, see if you can move it. It may cost some extra fees, but maybe not as much as you would loose if you canceled. Just an idea

Good luck and best wishes to you!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you've been to WDW before, you know that there is a lot of walking and outdoor activity involved. During and after chemo, there are some things you might want to take into account:

• You may be experiencing greater fatigue than normal; do not be afraid to use an ECV. In addition, certain drugs concentrate in the soles of your hands and feet, and your doctor may tell you to stay off your feet (e.g., Doxil is one of those drugs).
    • Not sure if you're staying on site. If you are, consider going back to your room for an afternoon rest.
    • Depending on what drug you are receiving and also what secondary medications you're taking, your sensitivity to the sun may be greater than it's ever been (i.e., you'll burn or "spot"). Use a broad-rimmed hat, long sleeves, pants and lots and lots of sunscreen.
    • Drink lots of water! (Always a good thing but even more so when your body is processing chemotherapy.)
    • If you're on a bus or on line next to someone who is sneezing or coughing up a storm, use that mask that Strmchsr mentioned. You can find boxes of them in Rite-Aid/Walgreen's/CVS. They pack easily in a sandwich bag. I've been known to wear them on airplanes or on a city bus.
    • Wash your hands as often as you possibly can and also carry hand sanitizer and use it. Don't even think of eating or drinking anything without getting those hands clean first. Your immunity will be impacted by chemo.
    • Be aware that your tummy may not handle all your old favorites as easily as before. You'll already have an idea of this before you go, but my experience is that the old liver isn't as easy going as it used to be.
    • Soak up all the pixie dust you can! As a dear friend from INTERCOT (also a survivor) once told me, "not all medicine comes from the doctor's office."
    • Be gentle on yourself. This isn't the trip to attack the parks "commando style."
    • If you find that you need to postpone your trip, don't fret. WDW will still be there when you're ready to go and your deposit can be transferred to a new date.

Be sure to ask your medical team for any advice and precautions they have for you as well.

Wishing you the best of luck with treatment. Disney music makes for good company during infusion and has always helped me to take my mind to my "happy place."
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    If you've been to WDW before, you know that there is a lot of walking and outdoor activity involved. During and after chemo, there are some things you might want to take into account:

• You may be experiencing greater fatigue than normal; do not be afraid to use an ECV. In addition, certain drugs concentrate in the soles of your hands and feet, and your doctor may tell you to stay off your feet (e.g., Doxil is one of those drugs).
    • Not sure if you're staying on site. If you are, consider going back to your room for an afternoon rest.
    • Depending on what drug you are receiving and also what secondary medications you're taking, your sensitivity to the sun may be greater than it's ever been (i.e., you'll burn or "spot"). Use a broad-rimmed hat, long sleeves, pants and lots and lots of sunscreen.
    • Drink lots of water! (Always a good thing but even more so when your body is processing chemotherapy.)
    • If you're on a bus or on line next to someone who is sneezing or coughing up a storm, use that mask that Strmchsr mentioned. You can find boxes of them in Rite-Aid/Walgreen's/CVS. They pack easily in a sandwich bag. I've been known to wear them on airplanes or on a city bus.
    • Wash your hands as often as you possibly can and also carry hand sanitizer and use it. Don't even think of eating or drinking anything without getting those hands clean first. Your immunity will be impacted by chemo.
    • Be aware that your tummy may not handle all your old favorites as easily as before. You'll already have an idea of this before you go, but my experience is that the old liver isn't as easy going as it used to be.
    • Soak up all the pixie dust you can! As a dear friend from INTERCOT (also a survivor) once told me, "not all medicine comes from the doctor's office."
    • Be gentle on yourself. This isn't the trip to attack the parks "commando style."
    • If you find that you need to postpone your trip, don't fret. WDW will still be there when you're ready to go and your deposit can be transferred to a new date.

Be sure to ask your medical team for any advice and precautions they have for you as well.

Wishing you the best of luck with treatment. Disney music makes for good company during infusion and has always helped me to take my mind to my "happy place."
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of these suggestions for me.

There certainly is alot to consider. I may try to reschedule, even for next Christmas. Nothing like Disney @ holiday time.

Sounds like you speak from experience. I hate to spoil anyone's fun, that is for sure.

I didnt realize that all these other meds were involved.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to think that you're planning on postponing your vacation because of the things detailed above. It's a lot to consider but certainly nothing that should be a deal breaker. Water, sunscreen, moderation in eating/drinking, washing your hands before eating, and rest are good for everyone... they're even better (and often necessary) for those receiving treatment. As for other meds, it all depends on what your doctors order. (In my case, the only other thing I take is baby aspirin ... well, besides the occasional antacid or anti-nausea pill.)

And just whose fun would you be spoiling? I'm sure that everyone in your travel party will be very happy to be at WDW with you.

I know that my docs have told me to go to WDW (once just a few days post-surgery) and they've never told me not to go ... a good vacation has healing properties!

That said, a trip at Christmas time is always lovely!

Merry Christmas to you and yours too!
    Ellen

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

What ElenitaB said. All good suggestions. Also, watch out for Xeloda, with it you can have issues with the sun and the extremities (as I found out with a bunch of blood blisters on my feet after a walk).

I was on 3 rounds of chemo this past summer. Xeloda pills 7 days on and 7 days off, and then an IV drip every 3 weeks. We ended up going after the second IV (and some time to recover) to DL for 2 and one half days. We stayed on property and got an ECV. Covered up well and I was really careful. We took it slower than we perhaps would usually do but still had a great time.

Being careful and not pushing too hard is the key.

Fortunately, the nausea pills worked pretty well for me and I was only "down" for about 4 days after the IV so when we went to the parks there were no issues in that area.

I was clearly able to transfer to the various ride vehicles, and probably didn't look all that sick, but would have been fried if I walked a whole day.

So if you are up for it, I say go and have a wonderful time.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Have you called Disney to find out the latest date you could reschedule? I think it may be 45 days?

Like others have already said, everyone reacts differently. I'd try to get in a few treatments before you make a decision, if it is possible to wait that long. Personally, I was more fatigued after each treatment. By the time I finished my sixth round of chemo, I know I wouldn't have had the energy to do Disney. And I was 19 and in pretty good shape at the time. But FIL, on the other hand, was in his later 60's and the chemo didn't seam to affect him nearly as much.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I should be done my chemo by 3/22. I will have 4 rounds. I am being cautiously optomistic. My last day to cancel/rebook is 3/2. I should know by then how my body reacts.

Post Thanks / Like

"Cautiously optimistic" is a great way to approach this bump in the road!
    Ellen

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Another voice with no additional advice, but lots of positive thoughts and well-wishes for a speedy recovery, feeling strong and healthy after your chemo, and having a fabulous trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mom to Morgan!

Merry Christmas to All!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: