Quantcast Flight and Cruise ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Flight and Cruise ?

I have a logistical question for anyone who has flown in to Florida for a DC. Do you fly in on the day your ship leaves or fly in a day early and stay overnight somewhere? I am trying to weigh the advantages for both. It would be cheaper to fly in that Saturday morning and take the bus right to the port but I’m wondering how much time that would take. I was told if we were to stay at a hotel near the port we are on our own with regards to transfers to the port. Boarding starts at 11:00am and you need to be on the ship before 3:00pm. How early would we have to leave, flying out of NJ? If we go to WDW a day early my DS will want to hit every ride we could before we take the bus to the port. And coming home, what time should I book that flight? Any help would be greatly appreciated…Been to WDW many times but this will be our first DC
    DW 51 DD24 DS 23 DS 9

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds 1980
    Polynesian resort (Honeymoon) 1982
    Off Site 1984
    Disney Villas, (by Pleasure Island) 1990
    Beach Club Resort 1995
    Beach Club Resort 1996
    Beach Club Resort 2007
    Beach Club Resort 11/26 – 12/4 2010

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hotel

There is a hotel in orlando airport. I would stay at the hotel and in the morning go downstairs and catch the disney bus to the port. When we went on the cruise we got off the ship arounf 10:00 am, so Iwould book a late flight home or justr spend the night in the hotel at the airport and fly out in the morning.. hope this helped a little bit.
    Robert "Tron1970"

05/2017 WDW trip/ 20th wedding anniversary
    6/2014 WDW trip

5/2007 WDW
    Disney land many, many, many times
    4/1997 Epcot honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by pirateyankee80 View Post
    I have a logistical question for anyone who has flown in to Florida for a DC. Do you fly in on the day your ship leaves or fly in a day early and stay overnight somewhere? I am trying to weigh the advantages for both. It would be cheaper to fly in that Saturday morning and take the bus right to the port but I’m wondering how much time that would take. I was told if we were to stay at a hotel near the port we are on our own with regards to transfers to the port. Boarding starts at 11:00am and you need to be on the ship before 3:00pm. How early would we have to leave, flying out of NJ? If we go to WDW a day early my DS will want to hit every ride we could before we take the bus to the port. And coming home, what time should I book that flight? Any help would be greatly appreciated…Been to WDW many times but this will be our first DC
    If you fly in the morning of your cruise, figure on a total of about two hours from the time the plane lands until you're at the port - - transit time from the gate to baggage claim, checking in with DCL, boarding the bus, and about one hour ride from MCO to the port.

Boarding actually normally starts closer to 12 noon; the terminal opens at 10.

As for the flight home, DCL recommends booking nothing earlier than 12:30pm. I agree 120%. I work at the airport, and I can tell you that "cruise days" can be extremely hectic at the airport. There are several other cruise lines in port the same days, and you have the usual passenger load from WDW. In a perfect world, you might be able to make it to an earlier flight, but things are seldom perfect. One minor fender-bender accident on 528 can easily delay your arrival at the airport by an hour. Add in bad weather, possible mechanical problems, etc., etc. and you're gambling big time.

The suggestion of staying at the airport Hyatt if you come in the day before your cruise is an excellent one.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mention when you're planning on cruising. We cruised President's Week in '08 and our flight out of Newark was cancelled due to snow and we weren't able to get onto another flight until the next day. We would have missed our cruise had we not given ourselves a cushion.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we've been lucky. We've flown out the morning of - the earliest flight possible (7am with flight time of an hour and a half). The two times we went down for a DC, the first flight was delayed due to mechanical issues for over an hour, which caused us to get on board around 2:30-3:00. The second time we arrived well before boarding. We are flying from NC, so weather wasn't an issue.

Flying back - again, I guess we've been lucky. The last time we disembarked first thing (7:30am), and had a private shuttle take us to the airport. Smooth sailing - we were there by 9:30 and on our way home by 11:30.

But, I would take Ed's advice. And, we got travler's insurance in case something prevented us from making the ship.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    You don't mention when you're planning on cruising...... We would have missed our cruise had we not given ourselves a cushion.
    We will be leaving port on Saturday, June 23rd, 2012. Booking on the “Fantasy”. In November of 2010 we were up at 4:00am, arrived at the airport at 4:50am, had a 6:45am flight out of Newark, and then had an ADR at California Grill at 9:00pm so we could watch “wishes” from the balcony! That was a 20hr day, something I’m used to but everyone else was completely burned out. After talking to people and listening to you folks, I am leaning heavily toward flying in Friday night and staying at the Hyatt.
    I very much appreciate all your input!
    DW 51 DD24 DS 23 DS 9

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds 1980
    Polynesian resort (Honeymoon) 1982
    Off Site 1984
    Disney Villas, (by Pleasure Island) 1990
    Beach Club Resort 1995
    Beach Club Resort 1996
    Beach Club Resort 2007
    Beach Club Resort 11/26 – 12/4 2010

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: