Quantcast Fire at WDW Tiki Room - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the original and I much prefer that show to the obnoxious one they have now. I want to see the Tiki Room birds and flowers, not Iago and Zazu.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Reading all the hate on the New Management makes me wonder: Did you guys ever see the original show?
    I've seen both versions and still stop in to see the new version when I'm in Disney World. Personally, I prefer the original version.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't hate the new version, but I can't say that I loved the old version either. I hope they take this opportunity to re-do this attraction and give a new story, perhaps replace Iago, and maybe even Zazu.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I saw the original several times and I would say that on a "thrills" level they are about the same. However, at least the original has tradition going for it. The new one is just obnoxious.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I guess everyone has their attractions they like and ones they don't. The new version is okay but I adore the original having grown-up seeing it at DL. I don't find it boring at all. My nana loved the original and it always reminds me of her every time I see it. (I used to think that the tikis actually made it rain!)

Post Thanks / Like

Put me down as a hater. I loved the original. It was my favorite animatronic show, hands down. Enchanting, yes. Boring, no. And the new version just leaves me irritated.
    I have to say i tried to like the New Management. Saw it twice. But after the 2nd visit, when it was over, my wife turned to me and said, "we never have to see this again." I agreed.
    I understand that adding Iago et.al. makes sense from a marketing perspective. But the additions could have been done with some subtlety. Instead, the marketing guys ruined a classic attraction.

I hope the fire was hot enough to get rid of the current management.

Post Thanks / Like

Add my vote to "restore the original or re-imagine the whole thing." I think Walt would want to see a cool and clever update -- and NOT what we got with the "New Management." Disney can make fun of itself effectively (witness Zazu singing "It's a Small World" in Lion King, or the entire movie "Enchanted"), but when it takes the cynical approach, it trashes the magic in a way that is not funny or clever.

I would love to see that attraction re-imagined from scratch, with the spirit and inspiration that gave birth to it originally and all the great tricks and technology we've learned since then.
    Last edited by John; 01-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

As was mentioned in some of the news reports, the fire was contained mainly to the attic portion and was contained by the fire suppression systems by the time crews responded.

The main Iago animatronic was the most damaged by the fire (and is pretty much unsalvageable at this point)- ironically, the charred Iago figure in the finale escaped without any damage.

Zazu and the birdmobile also had some collateral damage- mostly from the fire suppression system but at least those could be repaired and restored.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Reading all the hate on the New Management makes me wonder: Did you guys ever see the original show? I did, and it's BOOOOORRiiiiiinnnnngg.
    Wow ... I couldn't disagree more! I find the old version charming and entertaining. The new version is just obnoxious, loud, and one of those horrible attempts by Disney to be "hip" and "edgy" that always falls so flat. This attraction was built during what I consider the dark ages of Imagineering, when every ride they came up with almost seemed to go out of its way to annoy and irritate the guests (a la the nasty skunk smell on Figment or the bee stings/stink bugs on It's Tough To Be a Bug).

I see the original every time I go to DL, but I haven't seen the New Management version in ... I don't know how long. In fact, I'm pretty sure DD8 has never seen it and she's been to WDW over 20 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The main Iago animatronic was the most damaged by the fire (and is pretty much unsalvageable at this point) ...
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Reading all the hate on the New Management makes me wonder: Did you guys ever see the original show? I did, and it's BOOOOORRiiiiiinnnnngg. Saw it at DL. Then saw the new version at WDW and thought it was great. It actually had entertainment value from a Disney perspective. Then went back to DL where the original still exists. Guess what - still boring and dull and not entertaining. Still a bunch of birds that kids don't care about.
    Love the DL version, and see it every time I'm in California. It's more of an experience there, with the queue outside and the Dole stand at the entrance. MMMM...enjoying a Dole Whip while in an attraction. Doesn't get much better than that!

The WDW version. Haven't seen it in who knows when, and I'm there a lot.

Interestingly enough, the Tokyo version was recently converted to a Stitch theme. We saw it only once, but I don't remember it being at all obnoxious like the WDW version.

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone hearing anything as to when it should be up and running again? We're going at the beginning of March, and my almost 2 year old likes the show, and he tries his hardest to sing along with with the opening number.

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of those hoping this causes a change in management again. Even though the original had no big name characters it was no where near as annoying as the present show.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if more little kids posted, they'd say keep it the way it is. I saw the New Management as an adult and cracked up the whole time. Iago was hilarious. My kids love it, and think Iago is great.

If they bring the original version back, I'll never darken the doors again. I hit attractions to be entertained - not to think "How quaint" and slowly nod off like I did at the DL version. If I need a nap, I'll head over to Universe of Energy.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The main Iago animatronic was the most damaged by the fire (and is pretty much unsalvageable at this point)- ironically, the charred Iago figure in the finale escaped without any damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post

I hope the fire was hot enough to get rid of the current management.
    YES! YES! WAHOOOO!

Post Thanks / Like

Ding dong Iagos dead rub your eyes get out of bed, ding dong Iagos really dead.

Sorry Wizard of OZ the Wicked Witch is dead popped into my brain.

The original was the best. When I was in MK in 05 I cringed at the new version wanting to claw my ears off. And when I heard Iago was a crispy critter I lemented the fact that Thanksgiving dinner was over.

Let us all hope that this trainwreck that came about during the time of Eisner will be renewed and put back to its former and very classic incarnation. I just say no Stitch, because that is one of the few Disney characters that annoy me besides Iago.

Sorry but the parrot is cooked, and hopefully no spares are available.

And let us all think.................maybe the place catching fire really is an act of a higher being, making their statement about what they think of the new management.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You know it occurred to me ... the more likely scenario here is that the ride just closes and stays dark. I mean, it's not exactly a hugely popular attraction. It wouldn't at all shock me if it just sits there vacant.

Despite the fact that I can't stand the current version, I'd hate to see that happen.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine they'd do that, especially with compromised capacity during the Fantasyland expansion. In the summer, that thing fills to overflowing; people need the air conditioning break.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    Hopefully the NEW MANAGEMENT was destroyed and the bring back the original tiki room.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    I can't imagine they'd do that, especially with compromised capacity during the Fantasyland expansion. In the summer, that thing fills to overflowing; people need the air conditioning break.
    Actually you're probably right and it occurred to me that duh ... they most likely have insurance?

Or maybe not ... dunno ... maybe they self-insure? Do big companies like this carry insurance?
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I have it on good authority that Walt is trying to tell Iger something about changing his ideas.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: