Quantcast "King Of Kong" Arcade Opens at Orlando International Airport

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool "King Of Kong" Arcade Opens at Orlando International Airport

"King Of Kong" Arcade Opens at Orlando International Airport

ORLANDO, FL. – Travelers of all ages at Orlando International Airport have a new amenity and customer service to enjoy. Donkey Kong gaming icon Billy Mitchell officially opened the “King of Kong” arcade in the main terminal near the food court at Orlando International Airport. To kick off the celebration, Twin Galaxies, the globally recognized authority on video game high scores and world records, took the opportunity to unveil the first ever series of gaming trading cards. The first two cards in the series feature Billy Mitchell and Walter Day for their contributions to the world of video gaming. Mitchell has numerous world records for Donkey Kong and Pac-Man while Day is revered throughout the gaming scene as the founding father of organized video game playing and competitions. The “King of Kong” arcade is home to fan favorites including “Avatar”, “Hoop Challenge” and “Air Hockey”.

http://www.orlandoairports.net/press/2011/20110203.htm
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

something fun to keep the kids entertained if your flight is delayed!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say, is this really necessary? i do agree that it's good for kids if a flight gets delayed but other than that i see no point...
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this in the airport when I was there on Sunday. It looked new but I havne't been in several years. It will be something new and exciting to enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun! I'm not big into video games but it would be a great way to pass the time, especially if your flight is delayed.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Possible View Post
    i have to say, is this really necessary? i do agree that it's good for kids if a flight gets delayed but other than that i see no point...
    You see no point in having fun and wasting a little time if you get to the airport earlier? So instead of sitting bored watching cnn airport TV, you get to play some classic arcade games - seems like a great idea to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You see no point in having fun and wasting a little time if you get to the airport earlier? So instead of sitting bored watching cnn airport TV, you get to play some classic arcade games - seems like a great idea to me.
    well i always have my ds or psp with me so i use that to keep me entertained....
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing about Steve Wiebe in the press release... hmm. I mean, considering he was the definite protagonist of The King of Kong... hmm and hmm again.

Also, I can't tell for sure (although I walked past the marquee on Thursday morning--before it was open), but aren't the pictures on either side of the sign Mitchell and Wiebe? Seems kind of curious that Wiebe, save for the sign, was sort of airbrushed out of this arcade's debut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post
    Nothing about Steve Wiebe in the press release... hmm. I mean, considering he was the definite protagonist of The King of Kong... hmm and hmm again.

Also, I can't tell for sure (although I walked past the marquee on Thursday morning--before it was open), but aren't the pictures on either side of the sign Mitchell and Wiebe? Seems kind of curious that Wiebe, save for the sign, was sort of airbrushed out of this arcade's debut.

Curious indeed. I wonder if that was on purpose by Mitchell.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Possible View Post
    well i always have my ds or psp with me so i use that to keep me entertained....
    They pale in comparison to playing true, full sized arcade games...

Post Thanks / Like

The new games these kids play really are nothing like the true arcade games. I've built an "arcade" machine for my house, plan on building a few more. Right now I have a general purpose machine that is capable of playing some 10,000 games, but want to build some dedicated machines, liked a Dragon's Lair, and Tempest, and a sit down for driving games.

At parties, I've always got people sitting around that machine playing 4 player Gauntlet, or Golden Tee. Some spend hours blasting away at the bad guys with my light guns. Nobody even notices the PS3 sitting in my entertainment center.

The arcade machines are really something, but I don't miss pounding quarter after quarter into the machines at the local arcade. That gets old real fast...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The new games these kids play really are nothing like the true arcade games. .

Agreed!
    These seem like the same boring games that are in every mall or pizza place in the country. All different versions of racing or shooting games.

and Billy Mitchell...that guy is all ego

DOH!!!!!
    I can't believe I wasted my 999th post on this topic.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The new games these kids play really are nothing like the true arcade games. I've built an "arcade" machine for my house, plan on building a few more. Right now I have a general purpose machine that is capable of playing some 10,000 games, but want to build some dedicated machines, liked a Dragon's Lair, and Tempest, and a sit down for driving games.

At parties, I've always got people sitting around that machine playing 4 player Gauntlet, or Golden Tee. Some spend hours blasting away at the bad guys with my light guns. Nobody even notices the PS3 sitting in my entertainment center.

The arcade machines are really something, but I don't miss pounding quarter after quarter into the machines at the local arcade. That gets old real fast...
    I own a Tron cabinet, a Baby Pac Man combo pinball and video cabinet and a Crane Game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I own a Tron cabinet, a Baby Pac Man combo pinball and video cabinet and a Crane Game.

Discs of Tron is one of my favorite arcade games of all time...
    --Heff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: