Quantcast military husband hurt

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default military husband hurt

Hi! My DH was hurt in Iraq and has had 2 surgeries (so far) and we are planning on a WDW trip in Aug.We will be going with a group of 6. How much are wheelchairs? Is there anytjing else I needto know? I have been there a million times but it will be his first. Any help you can give will be wonderful!
    Thank you

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I can't answer any of your questions.

I just felt the absolute need to wish your husband the best and to thank him for his service to our country.
    May all the days of your life be filled with Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

So very thankful for your husband's and your family's sacrifices in serving our country. So sorry he was injured while serving.

There are great people on here who will be able to answer your questions.

Welcome!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can rent wheelchairs and ECVs in the parks. Information can be found here. If you think he will need the wheelchair/ECV outside the parks, I would rent a chair from an outside company for your stay. I don't have any recommendations, as my Mom owns her own chair.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Im sorry but I do not know the answers to your questions and just wanted to say Thank you to your family and your husband for serving our country and for making the sacrifices you do.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Christine on using an outside company. The WDW rentals are ridiculously expensive. We used Apple Scooter a couple of weeks ago for my DS and found them to be great. Service was good and prices were much more reasonable.

Thanks to your husband for his service and sacrifice!!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I also want to thank your husband (and your entire family) for his service to our country.

I agree with those who suggested using an outside company for wheelchair rental. That way, you'll have it for use outside of the parks and it will save you quite a bit of money. Just a bit of advice from someone who's "been there, done that" - watch out for the trolley tracks on Main Street in MK! I nearly dumped my mother right out of her wheelchair a couple of years ago.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to your husband for his service...I would also recommend getting a wheelchair or scooter from a non-Disney company. I checked into scooters for our December trip and it is half the price to rent from Apple that renting at the parks. Also, they will deliver the scooter to our hotel and pick it up for free.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

As a fellow military wife, I wanted to also send my best wishes to your DH and the rest of your family. This has undoubtedly been difficult for you all. I hope your upcoming WDW trip provides a much needed escape for you.

Is there a chance he'll be provided a wheelchair for home use? Or, are his injuries such that he can get around okay on his own without one?

If you don't get one that you can take with you, I'd agree to rent one from an outside company. It's MUCH cheaper! (Wheelchairs are something like $35/day...ECV, $50/day in the parks).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I first want to offer my thanks for your husband for his service to our country to keep us all safe!

If you are staying on disney property you can borrow a wheel chair from your resort for the duration of your stay. We did this at Pop Century before. You can also rent wheelchairs or ECV from Apple Scooters which I have used for an ECV. They are cheaper than other companies and the service it great!

Post Thanks / Like

If your husband is mobile enough for the ECV definitely go with an outside company. They have your scooter ready at the desk when you check-in and can handle any replacement issues due to battery failure etc very quickly, I'm dealing with foot surgeries and have found the rental companies to be reasonably priced and very customer friendly.

Here's hoping your trip is a great time for your family and thanks to you, your family and your husband for all of your sacrifices you've made so far. We all owe yu a debt we can never fully repay.

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing to add about the wheelchairs. I just wanted to thank your husband AND YOU for all you have sacrificed for our country. May God bless your family. Our wish is that you have the best vacation ever.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with using Apple Scooters. I used them my last 2 trips. Great price and service.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Another plus for Apple Scooters. We have rented from them for our last 2 trips. My mom can't do all that walking. if was about $60 for the week for a wheelchair. IT was always waiting for us at the hotel. The wheelchairs at the resort are first come first serve. Didn't want to take the chance of not having one to use.
    Thanks for your husbands service to our country!

Post Thanks / Like

As a military wife, whose DH just returned from Iraq, I want to send our best wishes your way for your husband to have a full and speedy recovery.

My mother has mobility issues and travels with us on almost all our WDW trips. She's rented an EVC on our past several trips and it can get pricey, but she'd rather pay wdw prices than have to deal with the EVC on the bus. I believe the rental is around $50 a day, but for her to be able to still enjoy WDW its worth every penny. I wish you a wonderful trip!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago, we stayed at Shades of Green, and DW and DBF both rented ECV's from Apple Scooters...worked well. Only problem was boarding buses...both Disney and SoG buses...we drove to AK and EPCOT, carrying the ECV's (in three manageable pieces...heaviest part was batteries) in SUV...both in one. Parked in HC area, and they rode the ECV's to the park.

For MK, they rode the ECV's from SoG to Poly, and boarded the monorail...piece of cake! Well worth the money!

To slightly change subjects, have you checked out Shades of Green? Great value, and you and you DH can each reserve up to 3 rooms...Price for largest rooms on site. Also has package store on site, and cheapest beer in area. Convenient to Poly and MK, and dedicated buses to other parks and Transportation and Ticket Center.. Staff is military friendly. Tickets for parks and other venues (Universal, Sea World, ect) are available at special, and tax free, prices...also check out Armed Forces Salute tickets...Everything can be checked on their website.

Have you checked with your local Veteran's office on whether they can provide or prescribe a chair or ECV? Also check with your local VFW post or American Legion post and see if they can do something, or possible contact Orlando area veteran's groups for potential assistance.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to all

We have found a scooter to borrow while we are there, and I want to thank each and every one of you for all your kindness.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to chime in and say "thank you" to your husband and all of your family for the sacrifices you've made for our country. I usually travel with my mom and sister both using ECVs so while it is a bit overwhelming at first, it can be done! My advice is to allow extra time to get wherever you are going. Also, try to take the monorail whenever possible since it is so much easier and faster than the buses. Most bus drivers are friendly and helpful. Occassionally you run in to some that are not but just take your time getting on the bus and don't get flustered and you will be fine. I hope you have a wonderful trip and your husband has a full and quick recovery.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scared

Thanks to everyone, I need to make this trip special, as soon as he is healed he got orders for Afganistan. I am terrified.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armywife View Post
    Thanks to everyone, I need to make this trip special, as soon as he is healed he got orders for Afganistan. I am terrified.
    What??? While he is still in recovery from his last injuries? That's not right. I didn't think they could do that...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: