Quantcast Please help with Washington DC - Page 2
 
INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    702
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The District of Columbia announced today that they're going to do away with the Mall Circulator bus. >sigh< They did not say when - if you're interested, I'd check on line for a phone # and call to be sure whether or not it will be there for you.
    Kate

    First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

  2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Silver Spring,MD
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Washington

    Try to make it to Union Station, right near the Capital. Great place to eat, and look around. The National Stamp museum is located right across from Union Station too. Have fun while enjoying your free museums. When you first get on the Mall, you should go to the Smithsonian Castle. Inside is the crypt of James Smithson, who the great Smithsonian museums are named after. The Castle has a big display of the Mall and nearby buildings that will give you some better direction once you have arrived.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

  4. #23
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post
    The District of Columbia announced today that they're going to do away with the Mall Circulator bus. >sigh< They did not say when - if you're interested, I'd check on line for a phone # and call to be sure whether or not it will be there for you.
    I think it was pretty much effective immediately; apparently that particular route was on winter hiatus and they didn't even restart it for the busy cherry blossom season.

    This thread has been very helpful, from a planning standpoint. So funny--I do very little planning anymore for Disney World trips (beyond hotel reservations and ADR's) but find myself poring over details for this DC trip. Let's hope that the government shut-down (should it occur) doesn't last very long, for everyone's sake!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations



    Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    So funny--I do very little planning anymore for Disney World trips (beyond hotel reservations and ADR's) but find myself poring over details for this DC trip.
    Beth, I'm glad you are doing this because DC has so much to do, that everything can't be done in one or even two trips. I know so many people who have gone, didn't do much planning and never left the mall area.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Beth, I'm glad you are doing this because DC has so much to do, that everything can't be done in one or even two trips. I know so many people who have gone, didn't do much planning and never left the mall area.
    Rita, I think the challenge is in knowing that downtown DC is a walking city (along with the Metro as a back-up) and to keep each day's itinerary within a certain area and reasonable time limits (since so many of the museums and other attractions close at 5:30 p.m.) I am fortunate that I started planning enough ahead of time that I found out about booking tickets or reservations for some of the tours ahead of time. Even so, I still wasn't able to secure tickets for the White House tour (no biggie there, though) or the Washington Monument. We'll try to get secure Washington Monument reservations the same day, if they're available--otherwise we'll just do the Tower view in the Old Post Office pavilion.

    Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations



    Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Rita, I think the challenge is in knowing that downtown DC is a walking city (along with the Metro as a back-up) and to keep each day's itinerary within a certain area and reasonable time limits (since so many of the museums and other attractions close at 5:30 p.m.)
    That is very true. I have no problem walking Disney, but my legs actually ache whenever we do DC. It's great exercise.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    Not to coin a phrase, but the bottom dollar is I'd put my money on getting there early. Things can change quickly, but spending a quarter of your time making early morning arrangmements can pay off in the end. If you offered a penny for my thoughts I'd stop on a dime and give them, but as I've never done this tour before, they don't necessarily have much currency.

    These puns brought to you by:
    Friday afternoon at work


    As far as the Bureau of Engraving, I'm pretty sure we did not get there before 8, but we did get in. Double decker busses were great. Rode both top & bottom. If you get in the mood for shopping, the Pentagon Mall is beautiful. And I'm sure you will be visiting the Lincoln Memorial.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

  9. #28
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    14,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post


    As far as the Bureau of Engraving, I'm pretty sure we did not get there before 8, but we did get in. Double decker busses were great. Rode both top & bottom. If you get in the mood for shopping, the Pentagon Mall is beautiful. And I'm sure you will be visiting the Lincoln Memorial.
    Thanks for the information. We'll probably be in line at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing around 7:30 a.m. and try to get one of the first tours of the day. If not, we'll go to Museum of Natural History until our tour time. And yes, the Lincoln Memorial is definitely on our agenda, along with the other memorials/monuments in that end of the Mall. Hope we have nice weather for all of this!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations



    Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default D.c.

    Hi All!

    I'm going to D.C. this summer, and I need your help. We already have White House tour tickets, but what else is a must see. I will only have like 4 days to see stuff, and will be there with an almost 7 year old (history nut, so excited) and an almost 4 year old.

    Thanks!
    Meg

    40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We enjoyed the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. It is always fun to see large piles of money sitting around.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Whiteland, Indiana
    Posts
    522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is WAAAY to much to see in the DC Area. So it is going to depend on what you would like to do. The Smithsonian Muesums are great. There are 14 of them, so go online and see which ones you like the most. Personally I love the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space Museum. But there are art museums and specific Cultural museums all right there. Of course there are all the different monuments, they are really nice to go check out. I reccomemnd the Korean and Viet Nam Memorials, they are by Lincoln Monument. Also the WWII memorial is really something to see.

    You can go see the original Constitution and the Declaration of Indipendence. Thats a must see for a budding History nut i would think.

    Arlington National Cemetary is very close, just across the river. There you can see JFKs grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

    You can drive down Embassy row and look at all the different embassies, thats kind of neat to do and could be a spur of the moment civic/geography lesson.

    The nice thing is that everything in DC is pretty close together so its not that hard to find.

    Hope this helps.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

    Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

    Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite


    Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    National Zoo is nice and is free. The Smithsonians are great as well. There is a branch of the Smithsonian Air and Space at Dulles Airport - also free and not at all crowded. The Space Shuttle Enterprise is housed there. The various monuments and memorials and Arlington are spectacular.
    Kathy șoș

    LET'S GO BUCS!

    Next trip - June '14

    Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you are looking for a great place to eat, try 'We The Pizza'. It is within walking distance from the capitol building and is amazing pizza. If you watch 'Top Chef' at all, it is owned by Spike. Best pizza I have ever had, hands down. Plus, they make their own sodas. It is good, cheap, and fun.
    AKA Courtney


    "To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."


    Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Silver Spring,MD
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Air and Space

    The Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport is not "free." There is a $15.00 parking fee. The National Archives is where the Constitution and Declaration of Independence is displayed. Have fun. You also have to pay for parking at the zoo. Take the Metro-subway if you can.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    465
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've always been a big fan of the Natural History Museum (especially if people in your group love shiny things as much as I do, you'll want to check it out lol)
    Lauryn

    7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

  17. #36
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On our first trip to DC our kids were 7 and 10. The whole trip was planned with their ages and interests in mind. Our 7 year old knew a lot about Lincoln, in fact, she referred to him as the "penny man", we visited Ford's Theater and the house where Lincoln was brought after he was shot. At the Lincoln Memorial one of the steps is marked as the sight where MLK stood during his famous "I have a dream" speech, both kids knew a lot about him from school and that was meaningful for them. We visited the zoo, have to see the pandas! Also the Natural, American and Air and Space Museums. We went to Arlington on the Tourmobile and that wasn't such a great choice, it would have meant more to the kids now that they are teenagers. Mostly, they just complained they were hot, hungry and bored. We did visit the WWII, Korean, Vietnam and Roosevelt memorials, which they liked. My kids loved DC so much we went back five years later for another vacation and last year on our way driving home from Myrtle Beach they begged to stop overnight so they could visit the museums again. Have a great trip!

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksullivan View Post
    On our first trip to DC our kids were 7 and 10. The whole trip was planned with their ages and interests in mind. Our 7 year old knew a lot about Lincoln, in fact, she referred to him as the "penny man", we visited Ford's Theater and the house where Lincoln was brought after he was shot. At the Lincoln Memorial one of the steps is marked as the sight where MLK stood during his famous "I have a dream" speech, both kids knew a lot about him from school and that was meaningful for them. We visited the zoo, have to see the pandas! Also the Natural, American and Air and Space Museums. We went to Arlington on the Tourmobile and that wasn't such a great choice, it would have meant more to the kids now that they are teenagers. Mostly, they just complained they were hot, hungry and bored. We did visit the WWII, Korean, Vietnam and Roosevelt memorials, which they liked. My kids loved DC so much we went back five years later for another vacation and last year on our way driving home from Myrtle Beach they begged to stop overnight so they could visit the museums again. Have a great trip!

    to INTERCOT
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
Company
Advertising
Guest Relations
Community
Discussion Boards
Podcast
Newsletter
Shop
Social
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Enter your email address below to receive our newsletter:
INTERCOT Logo PRIVACY STATEMENT / DISCLAIMER | DISCUSSION BOARD RULES
© Since 1997 INTERCOT - a Levelbest Communications Website. This is not an official Disney website.
> Levelbest Network Site