Quantcast Expansion Planned for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I meant that I bet it's DVC, not that I'd actually call Member Services. Besides, everyone knows you first ask the bus drivers about new developments!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of it becoming DVC. Hopefully the points wont be too high.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Where the stars at night are big and bright
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sure DVC will be the final verdict on what this site becomes, but was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Disney expanding the idea of family suites to the Deluxe resorts? I know you can buy points from DVC members and stay at locations with more room, but didn't know if Disney has kicked around the idea as something they offer the family with more people in tow. Don't know all the ins and outs - hopefully not asking a stupid question.

Post Thanks / Like

There are cash rooms available at all DVC properties. A two bedroom would probably qualify as a family suite. In some cases a one bedroom will sleep 5. I don't see much need to build out a seperate property like pop at a deluxe. Probably a very small need and too much overhead (people need salary and benefits) so a few sprinkled around is probably better business.

If Disney is running at capacity and has to turn away a few people, that's good compared to a resort full of empty rooms 80% of the time.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Rumor on another DVC site is that BLT, based on current sales, will be sold out by the end of this summer.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Story from today's Orlando Sentinel ~~

Disney planning addition to Grand Floridian
    By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
    5:43 PM EDT, March 22, 2011

Walt Disney World is preparing to build an addition to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the most expensive of the giant resort's 17 hotels.

A permit application submitted to the South Florida Water Management District describes a six- to seven-story, T-shaped building that will be connected via a covered walkway to the existing Grand Floridian. The nearly 900-room, Victorian-themed hotel, next to the Magic Kingdom, has standard room rates that begin at $440 a night.

No construction timetable was provided, and Disney wouldn't discuss the project Tuesday.

"At any given time, we have numerous projects in various stages of development across our resort," spokesman Bryan Malenius said. "If a project comes to fruition, we will share details when it makes sense to do so for our business."

But the plans, which were filed with the water-management district earlier this month and quickly surfaced online in Disney fan forums, have touched off widespread speculation that the building will be used for Disney Vacation Club time shares.

"It has all the markings of it," said Tim Krasniewski, publisher ... a news website for Disney time-share owners.

Disney would be following a familiar model if that's what it does. The company's newest time-share project in Orlando, the 15-story Bay Lake Tower, was built as an addition to Disney's Contemporary Resort, another high-priced Disney hotel by the Magic Kingdom.

Disney also has a history of attempting to keep its time-share projects quiet for as long as possible, for fear of undermining sales at already-open properties. Disney refrained from discussing its Bay Lake Tower plans until nearly two years after breaking ground on the project.

Disney is currently peddling units in three open time shares at Disney World — Bay Lake Tower, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa — as well in an under-construction resort in Hawaii dubbed "Aulani." That project, the first major resort Disney has built that isn't tied to a theme park, is scheduled to open in phases beginning this fall.

A new time-share project would be the first Disney has launched since the global recession and credit crunch, which decimated much of the time-share industry. Sales at Disney's time-share business fell during the downturn; the unit generated an estimated $190 million a year in operating profit before the slump.

Still, Disney says it has been happy with Vacation Club's performance through the recession.

"It has been a business that has been far more resilient than I think any of us internally would have thought," Walt Disney Co. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said during an analyst conference earlier this month.

Rasulo added that Disney prefers not to do lengthy pre-sales for its time-share developments. "We basically like people to be able to use their unit as soon as they buy in for the Vacation Club," he said.

Krasniewski said it would make sense for Disney to begin work on its next Orlando time share now. He said he expects Bay Lake Tower to sell out before the end of the year, based on documents filed with Orange County.

Disney declined to discuss the pace of sales in Bay Lake Tower, other than to say it is "pleased with the continued popularity" of the project.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Story from today's Orlando Sentinel ~~

Disney planning addition to Grand Floridian
    By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
    5:43 PM EDT, March 22, 2011

That project, the first major resort Disney has built that isn't tied to a theme park, is scheduled to open in phases beginning this fall.
    Hmmm...I must've missed the theme parks connected to Hilton Head and Vero Beach!
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    Hmmm...I must've missed the theme parks connected to Hilton Head and Vero Beach!
    I guess the Sentinel doesn't consider them "major"...
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sounds like the Grand Floridian DVC villas we've all been waiting for.
    Oh my gosh, wow. I would be so in for that! So in!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The more I read the more concerned I get depending on where they are building.

BLT looks very nice and all. No DVC is not in our price range or even on our priorities list right now since we just got married.

But as a person who understand why Walt bought the huge chunck of property in Florida, it seems as if the current Disney company is ok letting guests see build up around it's parks while you are in the parks.

Seems like it is ok to build high rises that you can see from inside a Disney park, as long as they are Disney owned.

I am by no means a purist, and understand things have to change sometimes. But with the amount of land surrounding Bay Lake, and there are even land areas intended for resorts that were never built around the Seven Seas lagoon, could they not just build there instead?
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post
    The more I read the more concerned I get depending on where they are building.

BLT looks very nice and all. No DVC is not in our price range or even on our priorities list right now since we just got married.

But as a person who understand why Walt bought the huge chunck of property in Florida, it seems as if the current Disney company is ok letting guests see build up around it's parks while you are in the parks.

Seems like it is ok to build high rises that you can see from inside a Disney park, as long as they are Disney owned.

I am by no means a purist, and understand things have to change sometimes. But with the amount of land surrounding Bay Lake, and there are even land areas intended for resorts that were never built around the Seven Seas lagoon, could they not just build there instead?
    They need to leverage the infrastructure already in place at the Grand. Adding a whole new resort or location will require significantly more resources than leeching off what's already in place. Also, guests don't want to travel too far when you're spending the amount of money you're spending to stay at the Grand. It doesn't appear to be a huge addition (compared to AKL and BLT) that would necessitatetoo much change to what's already in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are going to go with a high rise at the GF. Thematically, it doesn't match. Since the Contemporary is a high rise, BLT is a high rise, albeit a different shape.

Also, you can't really see the GF from inside the park at all right now. I'm sure the addition will stay well hidden as well.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the need to balance things around the lagoon.

But lets not forget that they had to do a lot of demolition to take out the North wing at the Contemporary. Which added more people to an already slow but still very capable monorail system. As well as adding to the bus system at its stop.

I will be the first to admit, that the Bay Lake tower is beautiful. But there is a swath of land south of the Contemporary that could have been utilized with low story buildings.

The Contemporary was already a beacon because of its height. The Poly cannot be seen unless you are at the entrance plaza and pretty much the same with the Grand Floridian.

I am all for the low story buildings like at the Poly and at the Grand Floridian. You cannot see them from within the park. I would just hate to see high rises around the Lagoon and Lake. Which I think will be coming because it just means more money for the company.

I also understand the economics of keeping guests more on property. Our honeymoon made us decide that we will not be going to Universal at all next trip. Yet we will be doing one day trips to Seaworld, Tampa, Daytona, etc. The rest of the time will be spent on Disney property. Because despite the negatives I perceive at Disney, it still has tons more plusses than anywhere else.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point about high rises, Victor. I have mixed feelings on Bay Lake Tower taking a little away from what used to be the focus on the neat a-frame Contemporary. Keeping buildings low would be ideal. If this addition dwarfs the red roof spire splendor of the current GF main building, that would be a shame, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post

I will be the first to admit, that the Bay Lake tower is beautiful. But there is a swath of land south of the Contemporary that could have been utilized with low story buildings.
    That swath of land, along with a couple others around the lagoon, are NOT suitable for building on. The ground is too porous and cannot support the infrastructure necessary to house a resort building. This is why those areas are not developed. They had to demo the North Wing (or the South Wing) to be able to build up in a spot that they knew was stable to support the structure.

I think it's already been speculated that if they add DVC to the Poly, they will simply convert existing longhouses to do so, since there is no space in the area to build additional structures.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also be willing to bet on DVC, too. Why though they would build more, at this time, I have no idea. Nothing is sold out right now and there's tons of points on the formerly "sold out" properties due to forclosures/deed backs.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    Rumor on another DVC site is that BLT, based on current sales, will be sold out by the end of this summer.
    I don't know about that. When it launched,
    they were saying it would be sold out in three months. That was 2 and a half years ago. Sometimes things are said to create a false urgency to buy...just sayin'.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    I don't know about that. When it launched,
    they were saying it would be sold out in three months. That was 2 and a half years ago. Sometimes things are said to create a false urgency to buy...just sayin'.
    True, but it's an insider site, not a sales site, so I imagine there is some truth to it. If this is DVC, it would make sense since BLT could very well sell out while this is still finishing up construction.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I get all the supply and demand stuff, but I really feel DVC is getting to be too much. A DVC at each monorail resort? How many folks can you stuff into one area? The monorail capacity can't grow as far as I know.

This from a non-DVC owner. Just doesn't fit our needs/desires at this time.
    Our family completely agrees.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kathiep View Post
    Our family completely agrees.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: