Quantcast Items you pack that save you money - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I bring a Brita pitcher and filter, and water bottles. The pitcher gets packed with stuff coming and going. Saves a ton of money on bottled water in the parks.

I also pack my own coffee which saves me time, money and having to drink that awful stuff they leave in the rooms.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    I bring a Brita pitcher and filter, and water bottles. The pitcher gets packed with stuff coming and going. Saves a ton of money on bottled water in the parks.
    This is probably the smartest packing trip I've ever read! What size pitcher do you bring? Will the larger ones fit in the mini fridges???
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Our last few trips have been in the summer when it rains almost every afternoon. We usually buy cheap rain ponchos at a local dollar store. They are easy to carry and save you money on Disney ponchos. We usually bring a couple for each of us so that we can throw them out if they get ripped.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Cheap, dollar rain ponchos.

2. Breakfast food (we always have a fridge because we stay at a moderate).

3. A $20 Wal-Mart umbrella stroller. Renting a stroller is outrageous, and they're not comfortable for the kids anyway. umbrella strollers are cheap, more comfortable, easy to fold up and store/carry, and are less bulky.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Fly or not, we take a 6-pack of our favorite soda. We take one a day into the parks, and then just refill as necessary with water from a water fountain, or with whatever's left in our cups from a restaurant (much easier to toss a bottle around than a cup with a lid). Plus, my hubby drinks Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper, neither of which can be found in the parks.

We also take way more memory cards than we could possibly use. We learned on our first trip together (post-digital camera-age) that WDW charges way, way, way more for a memory card than the typical store. But are you going to stop taking pictures? No way! We ponied up the $75ish and kept snapping away. Now, I take 5-6 cards with us.

And since having kids, we take snacks with us in the diaper bag. We can hang it on the stroller, and have snacks whenever needed. My DD eats like a bird (little bites all day long), so just because lunch was an hour ago, doesn't mean she's not hungry now.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belster View Post
    I love these lists guys. Thanks for your suggestions...I love the purex one.
    I don't generally use this brand, but the good thing about them is their size, and the ability to control quantity easily. You plan for 3 loads of laundry, take 3 sheets. They don't spill in your luggage or carry-ons eithers and have literally no weight to them .
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    We also bring extra hangers to hang up all of our clothes.
    This is a must for us too. It really cuts down on having to iron on vacation. What I do is save those wire hangers from drycleaning and pack those. Wire hangers really save room in the luggage.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

We also like the Purex brand laundry sheets. The kids actually love the smell of them. I use Tide and Downy at home, and was worried on our last vacation that we might get a rash by switching. So several days before our last vacation, we tried them out and everyone was fine. If you have sensitive skin, I would suggest doing this prior to your vacation.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

we drive, so i always throw a couple bottles of nice wine in the car...great for relaxing after a long trip! and the non restaurant wine chioces at the resorts leave a little to be desired so you get better quality too.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I grew up nearby, and have almost always lived in the South, we always drive. So, we don't have to worry about luggage fees and we can pack away.

bottled water
    cheap disposable ponchos
    snacks
    breakfast items
    all kinds of medicine and toiletries

We will do the sample sizes of shampoo, etc and don't have to worry about bringing a lot of that home. Same with medicine.

Hangers are a great idea. I keep forgetting them but will put them on my list for later this month.

One last item I cannot stress enough - batteries. Lots of batteries. Unless you are driving and can whip down to the Walmart that's twenty minutes away, bring batteries.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

At least one more bottle of suntan lotion than I plan on using! I learned that our first trip flying when I had packed two bottles and ran out half way through the trip. They are all over DW but expensive! I also always remember to pack aloe vera gel. I had trouble finding it and what I did find cost 5x more than at Walmart.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Like other posters have said, those Purex sheets were made for traveling! I also ship a two cases of water to the resort from Costco ($14 + $10 to get it out of hock from the convention center) it's still cheaper than Disney water!

The other big thing for me is kids' snacks 'cause those add up big time at the parks! One of the things I buy are the freeze dried fruit that have Mickey, etc. on them so the kids think they're special WDW snacks when I purchased them from Amazon instead (wait for a big sale and use Swagbucks!)...

Speaking of kids, one of my favorite finds are the cheap pool balls that are at the dollar store. I buy two of those (one for each) and blow them up for a toy to have in the room.

I also look for the battery operated fans at Walmart in October/November and pick up a couple of those for the next trip. They're normally under $2 each at that time so if they make it home, great. If they're lost on a ride well, left at a restaurant, forgotten on the elevator, or broken by my toddler, I'm not going to kill myself like I would if I bought it at Disney (and taken out a second mortgage to pay for it!).

The other thing we forgot once, and never did again, are cords to hook up or portable DVD player to the tv. Yes there is a DVD player in the main living area at BLT, but there aren't any in the bedrooms which is were our oldest naps and he likes to watch a little tv before being read a book and going to sleep. Yea, that was a fun trip balancing the portable on the bed with a toddler who couldn't understand why Cars weren't on the big tv...

Booze is another must bring. This last time we bought some of those freezable margarita pouches and they worked out well. They don't need to be refrigerated while transporting and they survived flying. I've also been known to pack fancy "wine in a box" if we're going with a large group and they've made it just fine, although it did add considerable weight to the suitcase.

Post Thanks / Like

I have medicines for any possible ailment. You name it, I pretty much have it covered. I bring batteries, bandaids, q tips, any kind of toiletrie imaginable, I got it. I have a bag just for my pharmacy. And we are not sickly people or people that take medicine even a little frequently..but we have needed to reach into that case on many a trip. Stomach issues, fever, I even have a prescription bottle of Amoxicllin I bring if anybody gets strep throat or something. I bring a nerf for the pool, purex sheets, rolls of quarters..lint remover rolls, stain sticks. What else?? I am a traveling walmart. And I have it all consolidated to one bag! A small bag that fits in my husbands lightly packed suitcase. I have all hair products, girly stuff for any issue, antibacterial wipes and gels.. I better stop now. I sound crazy!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I bring Purex laundry sheets too. It saves so much compared to buying laundry detergent from the laundry rooms in WDW. I also pack extra hangers for our clothes. And batteries, I pack lots and lots of batteries!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We usually bring breakfast snacks for in the morning as a pick me up then sometimes at night if we're hungry. Breakfast each morning gets expensive so this is a big saver for us.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

okay you ALl will laugh at what we bring... I pack in my large suit case water smart water at Target... for when we are in the parks..I also bring snacks for em I am always hungry, then there is the tupperware..fake stuff i mena for leftovers...we had 7 ADRs thats trip so most of them wern't buffets so any left overs we took back ie dessert...my mom was thrill to eat choc cake at 11pm at night.

this trip in less than 2 weeks we are on a quck service and only 3 nights/3 days.. so no water but we have refillable mugs..I am bringing my tea for the am breakfast to save time and also the tupper wear for snacks at night when watching the fireworks... we always bring meds and bandaids and baby wipes cause ya never know who is going to spill what..and I was there a while back and help a woman wipe up fruit punch her daughter spilled in her carage...she didn't have enough wipes but I did!!! the mom was thrilled....
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive, and since we have a van, we have the luxury of bringing lots of food. We bring cereal, milk, juice, breakfast bars, muffins, and usually have breakfast in our room. We usually only eat out just one character breakfast on our trips. We bring a fairly large ice chest and so we have plenty of room to keep things chilled. That's the advantage of driving over flying.
    We also bring bottled water and soft drinks, and these save a bundle over vending machine/food court prices at the resorts.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Dramamine, a 2 tablet pack costs about $4. Adding this to our packing list. Daughters boyfriend could have used a whole bottle on our last trip.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

One thing we always bring with us is a plug-in cooler. I plugs into the car and then when we get to the resort, we plug it into our room and it becomes our fridge. This cooler works out great when we stay at the Value resorts. We always bring rechargeable batteries for the camera and other battery powered items.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Can't live without my reusable water bottles and the powder packet drink mixes. Not only saves money, but lots of time stopping to buy drinks throughout the day!

Check out Polar brand water bottles. I absolutely love mine. It's the first insulated bottle that I've found to HOLD the COLD. It's thick plastick with a foil insulation, and I fill it with ice and bottled water, and mix in some lemonade

SUNSCREEN is a must pack. You can only get one brand on Disney property, which we found out the hard way for allergic hubby

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: