Quantcast Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom Villas?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom Villas?

I am currently booked at SSR 1BR Villa but I've been thinking about AKV very seriously instead. I am just interested in what would be convenient for us. There will be 2 adults and 2 children ages 7 and 2. We will not have a car so will be using Disney transportation the whole time.

When comparing the two, which is more worth the money and time with 2 young children?

ETA: we're checking in on a Monday, checking out on a Friday if that matters or helps...and we'll have 3 day tickets.

Thanks!!!!
    August 1990 --> Offsite
    April 2006 --> Coronado Springs
    May 2009 --> Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    April 2010 --> Polynesian
    August 2011 --> Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2012 --> Port Orleans Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like the theming much better at AKV, both the resort and the rooms. However, this comes at a price. You are far away from everything other than AK. So basically what it comes down to is whether you want to sacrifice not being close to everything for a better resort. If you plan to spend all of your time at the parks and not be at the resort that much I would go with SSR. If you plan to spend some time at the resort during the day and want to be able to eat right at your resort, go with AKV. That being said, unless you get a savanna view, I would stick with SSR. There's not really a reason to sacrifice being that far away unless you have that.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

AK without a doubt your best bet

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely vote AKV. The rooms are gorgeous and you have a lot of dining and recreation options. Location isn't that big of a deal to me though. Just hop on a bus, no worries. That may just be me though.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default AKV all the way!

Yep... I've stayed at both, and can tell you:
    1. The Disney feel at AKV is much deeper. SSR was not impressive at all to us. Probably won't stay there again.
    2. People always talk about how that AKV is far away from everything except AK. Actually with to us it seemed it took a longer time to get from SSR to anywhere except DTD. There are 5 bus stops just within the SSR.

Totally agree with PrettyMinnie... location/distance is not a big deal to us.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Post Thanks / Like

1) Any DVC is better than SSR.
    2) SSR is basically a series of normal hotel buildings on the one property.
    3) Nothing overly special.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Having kids is the best reason to be at AKl, even if you only see the animals at breakfast time.

When you check in, ask if any bunk rooms are available. Happily, bunk rooms also tend to be savannah rooms, and I think you're more apt to be upgraded if you're looking for the bunks than if you're looking for the view - we were!

Even if you're not upgraded, you can see the animals from any number of balconies and viewing spots in the resort - I think our girls have clearer memories of the AKL than of any other resort/trip we've taken. The pool is great, the theming is amazing, and they've got the animals - they also have storytelling and other children's activities.

For you and DH - imagine breakfast coffee on your balcony with giraffes. One of our happiest vacations -
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your advice. We are officially booked at AKL Villas and are soooooooooo excited!
    August 1990 --> Offsite
    April 2006 --> Coronado Springs
    May 2009 --> Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    April 2010 --> Polynesian
    August 2011 --> Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2012 --> Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Good choice. I would definitely tell you to try AKV. We've stayed at all the DVC resorts, and SSR is always at the bottom of our list. It's certainly not a bad place to stay, but it's just not as nice as any of the others. We have AKV and BCV on the top of the list. Enjoy your trip. I know your kids will...!

Post Thanks / Like

While staying at the AKL, be sure to have a breakfast (and a dinner!!!) at Boma, a great restuarant in AKL Jambo House. It is just too delicious. And the smell of the food!

On another note, kids just LOVE the pool at the Villas at AKL. Good job! You will definitely enjoy this trip. Even if you don't get a Savannah view, there are many vantage points from which one can see the animals.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at both and would pick AKL anyday over SSR. Actually we'd pick any WDW resort over SSR! We were not at all impressed with SSR and its the one property on site that I can honestly say we'll never stay at again. It was huge! I've heard people complain about some of the moderate resorts for their big size, but SSR was just way too big. And there was really no themeing. If felt like any plain hotel that could have be located anywhere. Nothing special at all. AKL on the other hand is soooo special. Its one of our favorite resorts in WDW! I think you'll be super happy with your choice!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

While I don't think it is as convenient, I prefer Animal Kingdom Lodge. The theming is so amazing, and when I took my nephew, he couldn't get enough of watching the animals every morning as I was getting ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We stayed at both and agree AKV. We just stayed at kidani and it is awesome. Always thought it looked toooooooo far out. SSR is actually got worse transportation. and much less convient.

Good choice.
    Simbajr4ever!

Planning 2014
    May
    September

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: