Quantcast Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside?

I will be running my first half marathon this coming January in Disney. We are thinking about staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts, but we don't know anything about them. If you have stayed at either the French Quarter or Riverside, please give us your input good and bad. Thanks in advance
    Sept 99 Caribbean Beach
    Sept 00 AS Mu
    Sept 01 Wilderness Lodge & Our Disney Wedding
    May 02 AS Mo
    Sept 03 AS Mo
    Sept 05 Pop
    Sept 07 Pop
    Sept 08 Pop
    Sept 09 SSR
    Dec 09 AKL KV
    Aug 10 AKL KV
    Dec 10 SSR
    Sept 11 AKL KV
    Jan 12 Marathon Weekend

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you running on the Goofy weekend? We love POFQ, we like the fact it is smaller. Recent posts also say they have Queen beds now, so yet another plus.

I just ran Expedition Everest Challenge and had a blast. I am toying with the Wine and Dine on October 1 and/or the Princess Half in February.

Enjoy and maybe we will see you there!

Post Thanks / Like

We love POR!! I have posted many times about how much we love POR....but here I go again!
    This will now be our home resort. There are many reasons why....the boat to Downtown Disney is one reason! The food court is really good and the small bar with Bob Jackson is amazing! We always stay in the Alligator Bayou...usually in Bld 15 or 18....it is very close to the bus stop, food court, main bldg and pool! The grounds are so relaxing and fun to walk around. We prob won't ever stay anywhere else!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never stayed in POR but we have stayed in FOFQ and loved it. I liked that it was a smaller quiet resort. We had a building all the way in the back corner and the walk to food court / busses still was not far. You still get the boat to DTD. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at POR last summer, and felt that because it had a sit-down restaurant (Boatwright's), a better (but more crowded) cafeteria, and a more spacious grounds to explore, it was the superior resort. If these things are not important to you, I imagine it comes down to theming. POFQ felt like a quaint little city, while POR felt more like the country.

You'll probably enjoy either.

Also, I'd check the refurb schedule at POR. You'd probably rather be away from any construction.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with either resort, because they're sister resorts so you get to use the amenities at each one. It would all come down to what kind of theming you'd like. We prefer the size of POFQ and how it seems quieter, plus...beignets! BUT, POR has a larger food court and BOB JACKSON!

You're really not far from anything at either resort (although I've heard that the Mansions are a bit of a longer walk-the 1 time we stayed at POR we were in Alligator Bayou).
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at Riverside but POFQ is my favorite moderate. Small, compact, decent bus transportation and beignets
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both and loved POFQ, but didn't love POR. We've actually stayed at all the moderates. I'd say POFQ was my favorite, while POR was my least favorite of all the mods. I didn't like the room decor at Riverside. We stayed in Alligator Bayou and the rooms, to me, looked like an old worn down camp, hated it. I'm not sure what exactly it is, can't put my finger on it, but I didn't really enjoy this resort at all. POFQ was lovely and SMALL. That's what I loved most about it, the compact size. No matter where your room is you are close to everything. It was very quiet as well.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We have loved POFQ and have stayed at this resort many times. We will be there again in Sept/Oct. The size is what really appeals to us. We have stayed at CBR and just hated how big it was. With POFQ you are close to the food court, pool, laundry, boat to DD, and a short lovely walk to POR for using boats, pool, food court, and their sit down restaurant no matter what building your in. We have thought about staying at POR but had second thoughts knowing how big it is and knowing there could be a chance we might end up in a room a good walk from everything. Now that POFQ has newly renovated rooms we are even more excited. LOVE THIS RESORT!!

Post Thanks / Like

We always stay at POR riverside and we love it! We have to stay in the Alligator Bayou section because we are a family of five. Its a very nice laid back quiet resort. The food court is really good and the swimming pools are nice.

My parents always stay at PORFQ because they do not have children anymore (we are all grown) and they like the atmosphere of the resort. The pool here is a lot of fun and the food court serves beignets.

I think either one would be a great choice!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both and both were great.

We prefer POFQ because of the smaller size (less walking after a long day at the parks) and that "generally" if the 2 resort share a bus you get picked up first and and dropped off first (thought this is not true 100% of the time). Also now has Queen size beds.

POR does have a bigger store, bigger pool, bigger hot tub, bigger arcade, etc (but more people).

My advice is if you are at the parks most of the time, POFQ is a better selection but if you are looking for resort activities, POR would be your best bet. Keep in mind that both resort are a short 10 min walk apart and you can share the services of both.

You will enjoy regardless of you selection.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDisneyFan View Post
    Keep in mind that both resort are a short 10 min walk apart and you can share the services of both.

This is true, plus you can take the boat from one resort to the other if you don't wish to walk.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Cool out door movies in POFQ!

i love POFQ! I can't wait to stay for Dec 2011!
    POFQ will have a outdoor movies! here it is!

The grassy courtyard between buildings 4, 5 and 6 has often been used for entertainment during special events such as Easter and Halloween, but it seems that the resort is now trialling the idea of having movie nights three nights a week (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) on a giant inflatable screen. Presumably this will happen during the summer months when it's always warm enough to sit out in the evenings.

The May 2011 schedule is as follows (subject to change):

Wed 4 May: A Bug's Life
    Fri 6 May: The Sword in the Stone
    Sat 7 May: Monsters, Inc.
    Wed 11 May: Toy Story
    Fri 13 May: G-Force
    Sat 14 May: Wall-E
    Wed 18 May: The Princess Diaries
    Fri 20 May: Beauty and the Beast
    Sat 21 May: The Princess and the Frog
    Wed 25 May: Bolt
    Fri 27 May: Mulan
    Sat 28 May: Meet the Robinsons

source from portorleans.org!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both and I loved them both.. but I really loved POFQ more. The size is perfect.. no matter where your room is, you are pretty much close to everything at the resort. There is only 1 bus stop instead of 4 like POR.. sometimes they share buses but the 2 times I've stayed at Port Orleans we never shared busses with the other resort.

I love the boat to DTD. I think POR & POFQ are such a bang for the buck.. I really don't want to stay anywhere else when I go to Disney. The grounds at FQ are so gorgeous.. the cobblestone streets, you really feel like you are in NO. The rooms were always very clean. The staff was always very friendly. You will definately love POFQ or POR.. I just prefer FQ more.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

awesome! i can't wait to love POFQ!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at Riverside for the 10 marathon. While it is a nice moderate, depending on which building you are in, in can be a long walk from the lobby area to your room. FQ is much smaller.

If you are inclined to have pasta the night before your run, you can NOT beat the "build you own pasta" at the riverside food court! (Even if I am not staying at riverside, I usually have my pre-marathon dinner here!)

If a special treat after your run is important, the beignets at FQ can't be beat!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: